Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
didn't have to watch it cause was watching channel 8 and every 15 minutes it was a breaking news story about the draft or at least the number one pick
I don't know why this was breaking news when everyone knew for the last month she was going to be the number 1 pick. If she wasn't drafted at 1, that would have been breaking news.

Reactions: cytor

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree that it's pretty low but hopefully if interest continues rising salaries will go up. Meanwhile I'm sure her endorsements with Nike, Gatorade, State Farm, Buick, Gainbridge, Panini, Xfinity, Topps, Bose, H&R Block, etc., will bring that annual take up a good bit.

Like, a **** load.

Just saying a few words in a commercial can be tens of thousands of dollars.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
I don't know why this was breaking news when everyone knew for the last month she was going to be the number 1 pick. If she wasn't drafted at 1, that would have been breaking news.
I know but they just kept it up for over 2 hours which got to be disgusting. the weather would have been better.

Reactions: 4cy16

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
What happens if she is just a good player in the WNBA and not a superstar.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy right now. Tons of media coverage equals tons attention equals more media coverage. It will take a long time of mediocre play to calm down in this state.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Tyrese Haliburton has fans from Asia constantly flying to see his games cheering for him specifically and making signs letting people know how far they came to see him. Iowans don't even watch the NBA in general and Iowa media covers a bench warmer for TWolves far more than an All Star starter on Indy.

That's an indication of how global the NBA is and how misleading the local Iowa media can paint things.

We live 20 minutes from Tyrese's high school and there is basically zero TV and newspaper coverage here. We get Bucks news and highlights, but no updates on people who went to high school here.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Like, a **** load.

Just saying a few words in a commercial can be tens of thousands of dollars.
I don't think you even have to speak. Cool Lebron story, one of his assistant coaches when he was with the Heat was getting married, and as a wedding gift Lebron got him a spot in a Samsung commercial he was shooting. The coach said that was a very nice payday for an assistant coach. Guessing it had to be solid five-figures.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
FWIW I like that CC continued the time honored tradition of draft fashions that almost certainly will not age well. I'd be ALL IN for a reality show that followed these players picking their clearly weird draft outfits. Grady **** being among the weirdest in recent years. Clark's almost could have been pretty non-weird, but throw in those glasses and she's right there in the discussion with some of the greats.

The "boxy boys" commercials during the NCAA tournament were hilarious and one of the few that didn't drive me nuts.

images

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
FWIW I like that CC continued the time honored tradition of draft fashions that almost certainly will not age well. I'd be ALL IN for a reality show that followed these players picking their clearly weird draft outfits. Grady **** being among the weirdest in recent years. Clark's almost could have been pretty non-weird, but throw in those glasses and she's right there in the discussion with some of the greats.

The "boxy boys" commercials during the NCAA tournament were hilarious and one of the few that didn't drive me nuts.

images
Yeah but something tells me that if you or I deem some piece of contemporary women's fashion that's popular among 20-somethings as "bad" it's probably getting rave reviews.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I was travelling that day, Simon Conway cut live to the draft so no one missed the occasion. :rolleyes: He loves her as much as Murphy does, maybe they will have a duel someday and the winner gets to take on Conner for her hand.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy right now. Tons of media coverage equals tons attention equals more media coverage. It will take a long time of mediocre play to calm down in this state.
Was up in Minnesota today. This salesman asked me about CC. I mentioned I’m an Iowa state guy. He then flipped to Audi immediately and kept talking about her and how he jumped on her band wagon. He’s a gopher fan.

Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think you even have to speak. Cool Lebron story, one of his assistant coaches when he was with the Heat was getting married, and as a wedding gift Lebron got him a spot in a Samsung commercial he was shooting. The coach said that was a very nice payday for an assistant coach. Guessing it had to be solid five-figures.

I have a friend who's in the filming/editing business and back in 2009 he made $60,000 for about a 10 second voice spot in some TV commercial. That's not even his job in the company; someone just thought his voice would fit well.

His rationale was 'well I had to say it a bunch of times/takes' when we all flipped him **** for making that much.

We were all 20-somethings with entry level/ customer service side hustle types of jobs where we had to repeat ourselves every day for not even $50,000 annually so 'I had to say it a lot' didn't help there either haha.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

images

Didn't see the glasses but the outfit was quite attractive in my opinion. Now the red dress she wore to the Wooden award (?) was pretty meh. The dress that Reese (?) wore was a statement piece also.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
She was wearing a $17k Prada outfit last night that she probably didn’t pay a dime for. The world is her oyster no matter where she is right now.
Seems like she could have found something that looked better and actually fit properly for a small fraction of what that get-up cost. $17k for THAT? Either CC desperately needs a stylist or desperately need to FIRE a stylist.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Was up in Minnesota today. This salesman asked me about CC. I mentioned I’m an Iowa state guy. He then flipped to Audi immediately and kept talking about her and how he jumped on her band wagon. He’s a gopher fan.

Nice save by the salesman, I'll give him props for that.

Reactions: Buster28

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

images

I liked Chuck's blimp ad and the Magic Mart one.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Didn't see the glasses but the outfit was quite attractive in my opinion. Now the red dress she wore to the Wooden award (?) was pretty meh. The dress that Reese (?) wore was a statement piece also.

Just the outfit would have been pretty cool and edgy but not automatically dated.

With the glasses added in, it matches the time honored tradition of NBA draft picks the past 2-3 decades of being over the top, fun but also a little cringe.

I’m guessing she’ll look back at those glasses and smile/laugh some day the way most NBA lottery picks do.

• Informative
Reactions: BigCyFan and NWICY