TJ best coach we have ever had?

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
Johnny was a great coach, great person, great ambassador for ISU and helped ISU basketball reach new heights. He’s the reason for Hilton Magic. He is however overrated to a lot ISU fans. He made the NCAA tournament 6 times in 14 seasons and only made it out of the first weekend once. If this years team makes the sweet 16, T.J. will have already accomplished more in three seasons then Johnny did in his career at ISU.
Yes, but Johnny started at pretty much zero. TJ has been able to build on what our program has done over the last 40 years to be at a higher level more quickly. If TJ can add a deep run (E8 or better) or even a couple of more seasons like this year and maybe a B12 title or two, I can put TJ to number 1. TJ needs a little more time in my opinion.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
the top 5 are clearly Orr, Floyd, Eustachy, Hoiberg and TJ, right?

I'd go Orr number 1. He showed he was a great coach at Michigan, resurrected Iowa State BB, but couldn't get to an elite level. I seem to remember they should have had a great team in the late 80's but had problems with guys like Mack and Mark Baugh maybe?

I think I'd have to go Hoiberg #2. He edges out TJ just based on sustained success. If TJ goes to the tournament next year or goes to the Elite 8 this year, he passes Hoiberg.

TJ is #3. I think Floyd and Eustachy are great X's and O's coaches but TJ is right up there with them, especially with the defense. Floyd had a great first 3 years, but had a dud in year 4. Had he stuck around and showed that was a 1 year blip, then he would have jumped up on the list.

I'd go Floyd #4 and Larry #5. Larry improved on Floyd's last year's record with a sophomore Fizer and had 2 amazing seasons, but then went into a rebuild. Just as bad as Floyd and rebounded a bit in his last year, but I'm not sure he was going to go to the level he had with 2 of the greatest players to ever play at Iowa State. Would have been interesting to see what he did with Stinson and Blalock, though.
Orr had one really good team at ISU and it was Grayer's senior year. I think Gary Thompkins got hurt and ruined the season. They were top 10 at one point but ended up being like a 20-10 type of team.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Eustachy was very good and his teams had a similar toughness but TJ is on par with him IMO, but TJ will have more upside just because he has his personal life in check.

The other thing is I'm not sure LE would have been as good at finding player long term as TJ will be. Tinsley was an awesome find but a lot of the elite 8 team was Floyd recruits.
The entire backcourt was recruited by Eustachy.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If not for the alcoholism, i think he would have had an upswing with the players that were coming in that Wayne Morgan ended up coaching.

True... but that starts to get into "ifs and buts". The bottom line is in our history those years will always be attributed to Morgan, even if they were recruited by Eustachy.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
the top 5 are clearly Orr, Floyd, Eustachy, Hoiberg and TJ, right?

I'd go Orr number 1. He showed he was a great coach at Michigan, resurrected Iowa State BB, but couldn't get to an elite level. I seem to remember they should have had a great team in the late 80's but had problems with guys like Mack and Mark Baugh maybe?

I think I'd have to go Hoiberg #2. He edges out TJ just based on sustained success. If TJ goes to the tournament next year or goes to the Elite 8 this year, he passes Hoiberg.

TJ is #3. I think Floyd and Eustachy are great X's and O's coaches but TJ is right up there with them, especially with the defense. Floyd had a great first 3 years, but had a dud in year 4. Had he stuck around and showed that was a 1 year blip, then he would have jumped up on the list.

I'd go Floyd #4 and Larry #5. Larry improved on Floyd's last year's record with a sophomore Fizer and had 2 amazing seasons, but then went into a rebuild. Just as bad as Floyd and rebounded a bit in his last year, but I'm not sure he was going to go to the level he had with 2 of the greatest players to ever play at Iowa State. Would have been interesting to see what he did with Stinson and Blalock, though.

It would have to be - there aren't exactly a whole lot of options. I mean, since Orr took over it's been Orr, Floyd, Eustachy, Morgan, McDermott, Hoiberg, Prohm, and Otzelberger in that order. ISU basketball isn't even worth talking about pre-Orr, and those are the coaches since.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Johnny was a great coach, great person, great ambassador for ISU and helped ISU basketball reach new heights. He’s the reason for Hilton Magic. He is however overrated to a lot ISU fans. He made the NCAA tournament 6 times in 14 seasons and only made it out of the first weekend once. If this years team makes the sweet 16, T.J. will have already accomplished more in three seasons then Johnny did in his career at ISU.
I thought he was a great ambassador until Sam Mack trial.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Is TJ the best ever right now…..probably not. Will TJ even go down as the best ever….very likely.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Agree it’s very early, but what he’s done already is beyond impressive. Especially when you consider where he started. I think it we go Elite 8 or better this year you could make a compelling argument he’s already the best.

Hard to imagine the program dropping off significantly given the foundation he’s building. This will be his third straight tournament appearance. That’s only happened two times previously in our program (best stretch was 6 spread between Fred and Steve).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It might be early to say this but I think TJ is my favorite coach we've had.

I can't say enough about his don't go at the refs mentality. I coach kids in a lot of different sports and kids just constantly complain about umpires and refs. It's just exhausting and annoying to me so I just respect the way TJ operates and this is program we can be proud of.

Also, when Hunter left, he could have been a **** about it. He just moved on. He didn't freak out. I think that kind of stuff gives confidence to a team and a fanbase. We Cyclone fans love to talk about nut cups and all kinds of stuff like that, and TJ is the anti-nut cup coach. Something happens, shrug it off, move on and perform.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It might be early to say this but I think TJ is my favorite coach we've had.

I can't say enough about his don't go at the refs mentality. I coach kids in a lot of different sports and kids just constantly complain about umpires and refs. It's just exhausting and annoying to me so I just respect the way TJ operates and this is program we can be proud of.

Also, when Hunter left, he could have been a **** about it. He just moved on. He didn't freak out. I think that kind of stuff gives confidence to a team and a fanbase. We Cyclone fans love to talk about nut cups and all kinds of stuff like that, and TJ is the anti-nut cup coach. Something happens, shrug it off, move on and perform.

I don't even know who the Clemson coach is, but his whining about the NET in the media last week is correlated with how they have two quad three losses, IMO.

Reactions: VeloClone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Orr had one really good team at ISU and it was Grayer's senior year. I think Gary Thompkins got hurt and ruined the season. They were top 10 at one point but ended up being like a 20-10 type of team.
He had several really good (though not elite) teams IMO, but the style was great for huge home wins, and tough for wins anywhere else.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
This is a tough topic because its pretty subjective. Sometimes I feel like Larry is the answer here because he won two outright Big 12 Titles (the ones that actually matter) and reached the Elite 8, but Larry inherited a pretty good program from Tim Floyd. Larry gets the nod since he called the Xs and Os, but I think its a combo of Larry at 1, and then Tim/Fred at 2a/2b. Johnny Orr is 3rd. I have no clue where to put Otz yet, but he'll rise quickly with a tournament run this year, and continuing this success into Year 4 & 5.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
McDermott and it’s not even close. The way he got the McDonald’s All American from Ames to almost commit to Iowa State was a masterpiece. /sarc/