Tsalmpouris not coming back

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
sincere question, how does a guy go pro when he can't get playing time on his college team?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
sincere question, how does a guy go pro when he can't get playing time on his college team?

Pro is a relative term, but I think many of the pro leagues in Europe have quotas for players from their home countries.

Similar to how the CFL's non-import rule. So CFL teams can have 19 import players and 20 non-import players. If that rule wasn't in place, the CFL might be 80-90% American players.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Best wishes and hope it works out for him.

Was never going to be an impact player here. Ever.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I would have liked to see him come back, if for nothing else, a little more depth and for help in practices. I'm not sure he would ever have developed into a good Big 12 player though.

I wish him nothing but good luck and success.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I loved the kid but it appears he left us hanging for months. I don't live in a consequence- free world like some people. in the working world you're asked to not come back

Left us hanging with 6 empty scholarships. No impact.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Not sure why people are so sure that Georgios would never contribute or be a decent player based off of his freshmen year as an 18 year old on a talented team. The development of a 7 footer who was young for his class & was adjusting to American basketball is a lot different than other players. I don't get why some people are so quick to rule players out after one season. Not saying he would have for sure contributed because there's no way to know either way.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
CFH took him in as a project. Turns out he was a huge project. If you need to work on your game as much as he did you need to spend the summer on campus working on it. He chose not to.
Projects have a chance of being productive and playing on a national team is working on your game. The only certain thing is that Fred wouldn't have signed a kid that had zero% chance of contributing. Those are the comments that bother me.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Not sure why people are so sure that Georgios would never contribute or be a decent player based off of his freshmen year as an 18 year old on a talented team. The development of a 7 footer who was young for his class & was adjusting to American basketball is a lot different than other players. I don't get why some people are so quick to rule players out after one season. Not saying he would have for sure contributed because there's no way to know either way.

Projects have a chance of being productive and playing on a national team is working on your game. The only certain thing is that Fred wouldn't have signed a kid that had zero% chance of contributing. Those are the comments that bother me.

After he got here it was pretty evident that he would never be a Div 1 basketball player here. Which is fine, nothing against him.

I think some of these "negative" posts come from so many people posting on here about him being a big impact, making it to the NBA, etc. I wouldn't be as negative about it if it weren't for all the people that jumped on the bandwagon because he was 7-1 and could make the 3.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
After he got here it was pretty evident that he would never be a Div 1 basketball player here. Which is fine, nothing against him.

I think some of these "negative" posts come from so many people posting on here about him being a big impact, making it to the NBA, etc. I wouldn't be as negative about it if it weren't for all the people that jumped on the bandwagon because he was 7-1 and could make the 3.
I just don't get comments like that. There is no way you could have known that & making such a bold assumption on a player like that right away doesn't make any sense. Like I said before, 7 footers who were young for their class & were adjusting to American basketball change & develop much differently than normal players.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Because they've seen a few rare "starter-quality" freshman bigs come on the college scene over the past few years and expect that to be the norm, when it's actually the exception. In general, the one-and-done thing has has pushed fans into this mentality.

Hoiberg gave the kid a scholarship, Prohm was willing to bring him back on scholarship, and he ended up signing a pro contact with a good Euro team. And I should believe that there was no way he could be a serviceable player at ISU??? I don't think so...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I loved the kid but it appears he left us hanging for months. I don't live in a consequence- free world like some people. in the working world you're asked to not come back

He learned from the best - Fred.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006

I completely agree with you that Fred wouldn't sign someone with 0% chance of contributing. I'm thinking that even he thought KJ Bluford had very little chance to contribute, however.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Yes playing on the national team is good, but not coming back after that was done to workout with his team is what I was talking about.

Fred missed on a lot of players in his time at ISU. He did sign a lot of players that didn't work out.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I just don't get comments like that. There is no way you could have known that & making such a bold assumption on a player like that right away doesn't make any sense. Like I said before, 7 footers who were young for their class & were adjusting to American basketball change & develop much differently than normal players.

Apparently I am just better at evaluating talent than you :jimlad:

He was a 1 in 100 long shot to ever have an impact and people were on here claiming he was the second-coming of Frank Kaminsky. It was just ludicrous.