Tyrese Hunter Enters Portal Again

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
He probably would have. That's why leaving was a terrible decision on his part. Cost him 2 years of development that he'll never get back.
Ya but I'm not sure he was ever making it to the League. He was probably correct taking the money. I'm not even sure he would have beaten Tamin out.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I think it probably comes from this, as well as the "free smoke" comment:

View attachment 127576
View attachment 127577

In hindsight not bad of quotes, but I think people were frustrated by the disingenuousness of suggesting that NIL didn't play a role. I think people just wanted him to admit money was the reason he left and he didn't do that.
Those quotes weren’t bad and neither was the smoke comment.

Moreso then transferring though, Hunter’s biggest mistake for development was wanting to play off the ball. He’s not a good shooter and has trouble finishing at the rim through contact. His size also limits him from being a good defender on combo guards. He’s much better defensively harassing the primary ball handler.

He’s a PG through and through, but for some reason he wanted to play off the ball at Texas.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
At some point, guys that are good but not great are going to stop having options, aren't they?

Hunter isn't going to a top 25 program at this point, and he isn't going to make 500k wherever that is. Is he going to end up at Illinois St making $40k? I could see a lot of guys that were seen as high-potential when younger, and got a big bag to move, but then who never improved to that potential, kind of get kicked to the curb and not have any good options.
You know, this is really what happened to young men wanting into the pro game in the past, no? Now, they just get just earlier practice for it and are making a little bank while in college.

I, for one, know that I would have been very satisfied to leave my college experience a) close to a degree, b) with no debt AND c) at that time, a clear 110k. I could have gone back to school, and 20K later, still have almost 100K left. Starting with a little nest egg would not have been terrible. AND, the lack of loans would have been nice too.

Prior to NIL a lot of these kids who didn't get any pro run started off with zip.

It's a cruel, unfair world, but I'm not sure this is presently so terrible for the young people right now.

Now, if you want to talk about college experience and personal development, that is where many are losing out on my opinion. But who needs that when there is money to be made?

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Ya but I'm not sure he was ever making it to the League. He was probably correct taking the money. I'm not even sure he would have beaten Tamin out.
You don't have to make the NBA. Better development = better skill set = more $$ in Europe too.

Reactions: carvers4math

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Now, if you want to talk about college experience and personal development, that is where many are losing out on my opinion. But who needs that when there is money to be made?
If a kid has the potential to play professionally, even in Europe, college years should be seen primarily as an opportunity to learn their craft, improve their skills. A good investment there can pay big down the line. Maybe not for guys like Halliburton and Lebron, but for more average NBA players.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Yeah I just need more than that. It appears many others have seen or heard something that I haven't. Looking forward to finding out what it was though.
I think he also tweeted some stuff after Texas beat us in football. Nothing crazy, but he didn't tweet about other games Texas won.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think he also tweeted some stuff after Texas beat us in football. Nothing crazy, but he didn't tweet about other games Texas won.
Sure, he was probably extra happy about that W.
Just odd so many people are aware of trashing ISU but won't post what it is.
(To me, it's most likely a telephone game situation.)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Sure, he was probably extra happy about that W.
Just odd so many people are aware of trashing ISU but won't post what it is.
(To me, it's most likely a telephone game situation.)
Didn't he take a tweet down that was pretty clearly aimed at ISU after he got some pushback?

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I remember Williams bringing it up on the pod once or twice.
CW has talked about it, as has Blum. Hunter essentially left Ames after the NCAA tournament (not sure he even came back to Ames), which I believe is where the animosity started.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
CW has talked about it, as has Blum. Hunter essentially left Ames after the NCAA tournament (not sure he even came back to Ames), which I believe is where the animosity started.
I don't doubt that something like that could happen at all but thats still a far cry from "trashing Iowa State."

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
Not everyone puts in the time.

And QUALITY time. Practice doesn't make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect. Just throwing up 500 shots a day doesn't help if you aren't truly focusing on the fine details that you are trying to improve. To me, that instant feedback from a coach, GA, or even a sharp student manager who knows what to look for while you are putting in time helps a ton.
Now you tell me! I've been wasting my time at the golf range hacking away at buckets of balls

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I don't doubt that something like that could happen at all but thats still a far cry from "trashing Iowa State."
During the season, he wasn't shy about posting stories about Men's basketball losses (he sure had fun during our streak where we were like 2-7 in February), even our "broke football program".

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I don't think it qualifies as trashing, but his comments about going elsewhere to expand on his skills (paraphrasing) seemed kind of cloaked in making it sound like his skills weren't fully realized or displayed with ISU's coaching.

He improved in areas the last two years although there's plenty of evidence that ISU's coaches know how to get lots of improvement out of players.

Maybe in the end it was just a 'fit' thing and now he's back to finding the last one.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't think it qualifies as trashing, but his comments about going elsewhere to expand on his skills (paraphrasing) seemed kind of cloaked in making it sound like his skills weren't fully realized or displayed with ISU's coaching.

He improved in areas the last two years although there's plenty of evidence that ISU's coaches know how to get lots of improvement out of players.

Maybe in the end it was just a 'fit' thing and now he's back to finding the last one.

I think a lot of it could be fit and I'm OK with that. By now, we've seen the success of guys that buy in and operate as a team. If Tyrese didn't want to do that or value that as his priority, that's his right and his loss of fan support.
I don't and have never bought his NIL comments. Never have, never will.