Tyrese Hunter Enters Portal Again

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Power 5 starter to other Power 5 is not a safe move for overall career arc, especially if you had good production and ncaa appearance at former school.

So far I’m easily not seeing better than 50% odds of improvement which is horrible considering vast majority of players improve if they start multiple years in same program.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
The people saying he could only excel at a mid-major are crazy.

He's a great talent and MANY P5 teams will and should want him.

He was freshman of the year for us, and had some GREAT games in the tournament.

Texas is a dumpster fire of mismanagement, and he was always a little bit of an offensive project.. it's not that surprising that he didn't do as well there.
Depends n how you define excel.

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
If he got what I've heard he got at Texas, that's something you can't pass up. The money he got doesn't compare to what he could have got as a journeyman backup in the NBA, but it's life changing to most, and you can't pass up a certain thing, while at the same time seeing if he could develop into an NBA player. I don't hold any ill will towards him.

I think we made out "okay" in the PG department after he left.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If he got what I've heard he got at Texas, that's something you can't pass up. The money he got doesn't compare to what he could have got as a journeyman backup in the NBA, but it's life changing to most, and you can't pass up a certain thing, while at the same time seeing if he could develop into an NBA player. I don't hold any ill will towards him.

I think we made out "okay" in the PG department after he left.

I'm guessing he got enough that he wasn't worth a third year of what he was getting.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
There were only 35 guys in the country that averaged 20 PPG and Tyrese isn't skilled enough to be one of them unless he's at a true low major.

I understand why he did what he did and I hope he gets another check this year but the kid's ceiling is a decent level of Euroball.
Probably higher ceiling had he let TJ develop him

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
If he finds the right program and right coach I still think he can be a key piece to a power 5 program. Obviously this will be 3rd school but reminds me of Gilbert coming here last year. If his attitude is right and buys into a role he’s got some major talent still.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Hunter will be sought after but I think he needs to try to be a PG again. He got lost beside a volume shooter like Abmas, to be successful he needs the ball in his hands more.

Reactions: FerShizzle

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
He's a worse, smaller version of Russell Westbrook. Plays really hard, makes some unbelievable athletic plays, but he's so inefficient it kills your offense.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was pissed when he left ISU as I thought he did TJ dirty for developing him then chasing NIL money. Now I just laugh about it because it gave Lipsey a chance to play right away and Hunter never did develop into an NBA talent like it looked he he was going to be after his freshman year. I both love and hate the portal as ISU has benefited from it too. The main thing I hate about it is there won't be nearly as many guys that stay at the same school for 4 years that you get to enjoy the ups and downs with like we have been used to before the NIL portal era.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I saw in the Gazette that MadFran though his NIL value was $500,000. Didn’t see the Donovan figure.
I'm sure Fran felt it painted a better picture to suggest a larger number. At $500k, the fans balk, at a number that they have no chance of matching, and say that Perkins was only looking to get paid.
If Fran says $300k, well maybe the mighty Swarm collective could have come close, and Perkins might have taken a little less to stay.
He's a wily one, that McCaffrey. They don't call him "White Magic" just because his team looks like a paint sample card.

1000000083.jpg

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
If he bought in, he'd be a helluva player for Houston. He has the talent that if he committed to their style of defense he'd fit in really well. But I think he's been too focused on individual ppg.
With all of the movement, Hunter will get in with a power conference team, no doubt.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
If he finds the right program and right coach I still think he can be a key piece to a power 5 program. Obviously this will be 3rd school but reminds me of Gilbert coming here last year. If his attitude is right and buys into a role he’s got some major talent still.
The key part is the attitude. I think he's cocky and didn't put in the effort to really improve because of his attitude. Him basically getting recruited over is hopefully a humbling experience for him and maybe he will realize that he's got lots of work to do.

I had a weird dream last night where I was at the national championship and Texas was destroying some other team. I don't remember seeing Tyrese Hunter on that team in my dream. Hopefully this dream never comes true because f*ck Texas.

• Puke
Reactions: tzjung

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Hunter likely has no regret in this situation.

The kid who had little chance at a NBA payday transferred to a school who could pay him the most money (840k). His new team then made the elite 8 the very next season.

I’d bet he’d do it the same way all over again.

We need to move past any butthurt on this.