Underage Bar Entry - Ames vs Iowa City

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
The legal drinking age in the State of Iowa is 21. In Ames, the legal age to enter a "bar" is 21. In Iowa City, 19 & 20 year-olds are allowed in "bars" (defined as more than 50% of proceeds are derived from sale of beer or alcohol), but they're not allowed to drink. <winkwink>

A recent provost's survey indicated that 70% of EIU freshmen and sophomores had engaged in "binge drinking" within the two-week period prior to which they took the survey. It's no secret that there is a serious drinking problem amongst students of all ages at EIU. A local group is considering a ballot initiative to change city code whereby bar access after 10PM would be denied those not of legal age (21).

What are the thoughts of present and former ISU students on the requirement to be 21 to enter a bar in Ames? Were you denied an active social life at the ages of 19 & 20? Did it lead to more off-campus house parties where underage drinking was rampant? In short, what were the negatives to having a "21 Law" in Ames?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
While I don't have any stats, I can tell you this. My friends and I took a few trips to Iowa City just to drink at bars, because we weren't old enough to get into the ones in Ames at the time. Only a few times did we get denied drinks. Most of the time we had no trouble what so ever.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Im over 21 and not a big fan of the city mandating a 21 bar age. Let the bars themselves choose. I'm sure some would remain 21 and over, and others would welcome additional people.

As far as that study goes, id be interested to see what the percentage is for ISU. I doubt there is any less drinking, it just happens at house parties spread all throughout ames instead of all at the bars. If anything, theres more with most house parties charging by the cup not the drink. I certainly wasnt denied a social life. However, it always does suck to separate groups of friends based on the 21 age limit.

It does cause some problems... im sure noise complaints in Iowa City would start to rise as parties move out of the bar areas.

I tend not to go to the bars all that often though... too expensive.. $3-5 a drink vs $3-5 a cup for all night, tends to keep me at house parties anyway, especially when half my friends cant go to the bars anyways.

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
iccyfan, I've noticed this problem as well. Bouncers are pretty strict about id-ing people at the door and gathering the cover fee at most places, and most places put a marker or color permanent marker on your wrist to signify if you're under 21. Once you get to the bar though, ESPECIALLY if it's really busy, bartenders won't look for the marking or id you.

It's pretty crazy that this has been allowed to go on for so long.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I'm in a fairly unique situation, as a 19-year old student at ISU whose hometown is Iowa City. I think there are a few different factors at play here, but more on that in a second. Personally, I really like Iowa City's 19-ordinance. When I visit friends at Iowa during the school year, it gives us somewhere to go so that we don't have to just sit around in someone's dorm room or apartment. Yes, there are plenty of 19's and 20's who drink in the IC bars, but I can tell you from experience that there are just as many who go to A) dance or B) hang out with their friends who are 21, since that's where the 21-friends would be even if the underage person wasn't allowed in. Ames' bar scene- no matter how much people complain about it- honestly isn't that bad, but if you're a bar-goer, then Iowa City is undoubtedly better. There are more actual dance clubs there, for one thing, which is something that I like. Ames only has Element and the Boheme.

I can tell you right now that it will take some pretty substantial political firepower to get the 19-ordinance repealed. Like pretty much every college campus anywhere, UI students do not turn out to vote on typical issues, such as student government. But threaten to take away the 19-ordinance, and they will tear off the doors of the polling places in order to defeat the motion.

As for the Ames side of the equation- yes, I sometimes do feel like I get left behind by my 21+ friends because I can't get into a bar. I've sat on my computer quite a few weekend nights for that reason. Yes, because of that, there is a lot more drinking in the dorms and at off-campus parties. Honestly, I think many people would drink *less* at a bar than a house party, if only because it's expensive to drink at bars.

I wish a 19-ordinance would get passed in Ames. The city of Ames has the comparable advantage of having a majority of the bars frequented by college students being right across the street from campus, and in a concentrated area. This makes it easier for police details to patrol it. Unfortunately, the student body at ISU hasn't quite figured out that if even a fraction of them put their heads together, they are a strong voting force in the community, and stand a chance of getting what they want. With the election of Ryan Doll to the Ames City Council, and the proposition of adding a student liaison from the GSB to the City Council, the student voice at ISU will begin to be heard more in the local government. Maybe a few years down the road, there will be successful movements in the direction of getting a 19-ordinance passed. But until the students realize that their votes do matter, nothing will happen. Too bad.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I'd hate to beat a dead horse, but if we had the same 19+ only law as Iowa City, Berryman would still be on the team. I say loosen the restrictions on bars, and let them choose their age limit. If they need more patrons, they can easily lower their age requirement, but if they're popular as it is, there's no need.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
the underage drinking or the 21 drinking age itself? :growl5cj:
My personal opinion is if you are an adult then you should have all the privelages that go with that. You are able to serve our country in the military at 18 then you should be able to drink at 18. There are kids as young as 12 that get charged in criminal court as adults. It should be one way or another. I am 34 and have no agenda on this issue, just an opinion.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If the age limit was dropped to 19, then everyone who is 21 will complain that the lines are even longer to get into bars than they are already. Part of the reason Iowa City is able to do that is because, as ornyractor pointed out, they have more bars.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
If the age limit was dropped to 19, then everyone who is 21 will complain that the lines are even longer to get into bars than they are already. Part of the reason Iowa City is able to do that is because, as ornyractor pointed out, they have more bars.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I don't know much about Ames' past in age restriction for bars, but don't you think the lack of bars in Ames is because only those who are 21 can get in?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
My personal opinion is if you are an adult then you should have all the privelages that go with that. You are able to serve our country in the military at 18 then you should be able to drink at 18. There are kids as young as 12 that get charged in criminal court as adults. It should be one way or another. I am 34 and have no agenda on this issue, just an opinion.

i agree completely. the drinking age has been pretty ineffective anyways, when such a large majority of the population affected is ignoring it, its pretty bad law.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

And im sure supply will rise to meet demand.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
While I don't have any stats, I can tell you this. My friends and I took a few trips to Iowa City just to drink at bars, because we weren't old enough to get into the ones in Ames at the time. Only a few times did we get denied drinks. Most of the time we had no trouble what so ever.

Yep, that's the scenario that makes IC such a drinker's town. People will drive hours just because they know they can get in. I have friends that go to IC once or twice a month because of the atmosphere. To my knowledge their IC friends do not take turns coming here.

It depends on which side you are on. Let's call a spade a spade here, by and large this issue is about allowing 19 and 20 year olds to get away with drinking in a bar if they choose to do so. From a money standpoint, by allowing more people in, the bar owners make more money. From a law enforcement standpoint, there is no chance that Ames has the manpower to keep all of these people from drinking.

Frankly, I'm so far removed from this scene that I don't care either way. These kids will find a way to drink, whether it's in a bar or at a house party. You could rationalize it by saying that the police can keep a closer watch on Campustown since that location is static; the drinking will always be done there. If you force these people to house parties, they are significantly harder to police.

On the other hand, the law is 21. By keeping these people out of the bars, you keep them out of the places you KNOW that booze is available.

It's a crap shoot. I think it's funny that we have opposing policies in the two major college towns within the state.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
My opinion is that it is a right earned once you turn 21. Until then, be patient. The whole 'no social life' thing is a joke.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

I agree.

isu_bub

Apr 10, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Leave it at 21 in Ames.

Our underclassmen should be able to put their studies before being able to go out to bars. Why would we want something the Hawks have anyway? I think it is completely unnecessary. Off-campus drinking isn't just underage students, its all sorts of people. Lets not give into the "slush-minded" culture the Hawks live in over in IC. Let their students make fools of themselves.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
When I attended ISU the drinking age was 18 and a college ID was sufficient to gain entry to a club. In addition, keggers were held regularly in the dorms and in the frats.

I agree with Bobber that if you are an adult that you should get the privileges.

Making booze illegal hasn't worked; it didn't work during the prohibition and it isn't effective with our youth. Many of the villages in Western Alaska have banned alcohol village wide. Notwithstanding the ban, in the villages there is tremendous bootlegging going on and lots of binge drinking.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
When I attended ISU the drinking age was 18 and a college ID was sufficient to gain entry to a club. In addition, keggers were held regularly in the dorms and in the frats.

I agree with Bobber that if you are an adult that you should get the privileges.

Making booze illegal hasn't worked; it didn't work during the prohibition and it isn't effective with our youth. Many of the villages in Western Alaska have banned alcohol village wide. Notwithstanding the ban, in the villages there is tremendous bootlegging going on and lots of binge drinking.

I agree that if you are an adult you should have all of those privalieges. However, once you cross the line from personal to public resposiility, kids won't listen. I think that the best idea is for a 20 year old age limit in the bars adn keep the 21 limit for purchasing alcohol.

For detaild, PM me.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I agree that if you are an adult you should have all of those privalieges. However, once you cross the line from personal to public resposiility, kids won't listen. I think that the best idea is for a 20 year old age limit in the bars adn keep the 21 limit for purchasing alcohol.

For detaild, PM me.
I agree that kids do not always listen. However, a 21 year old age limit doesn't mean that kids won't have access to alcohol and that they will be any more attentive to adults demands. Look at what has happened at VEISHA when alcohol was illegal if you were under 21. I have visited places like France that do not have a drinking age and they don't have a lot of the alcohol related problems we face in this country.

The drinking age in Iowa was 18 when I was that age. Had it been 21, I can't imagine that I wouldn't have flouted the law.