UNI at Drake ...

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Minnesota REALLY messed up hiring the wrong Ben.. I imagine Coach Jake would have retained Green and his deep connections to the twin cities.. They wouldn't be the laughing stock of the B1G.

A seriously want to know how a coach like him is still at UNI?
He would've taken it too. They talked money and Minnesota offered less than a $400,000 raise from where he is now and that's exactly why he didn't take it.

He's talked over and over about not messing with happy and he's not out to chase jobs just to chase jobs, he's also a guy that has flat said he's not going to coach forever. He makes $1M in Cedar Falls and has complete and total job security. He's 7ish years from passing Henry Iba as the all time winningest Valley coach and I would guess he doesn't hang on much past that. He'll hand the program to Seth Tuttle and UNI Basketball will be in good hands for another generation.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cyfan92

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Someone on the Drake board mentioned rumors are starting to swill that Born might go looking for greener pastures. That would be an interesting thread to follow.

That would be a dumb move. He's already a major liability on defense at the MVC level. He's a really good offensive player though - perfect fit at the mid major level. Messing with that would be foolish.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyJack13

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
UNI has the 2nd or 3rd best recruiting class in school history coming next year along with getting Heise and Phyfe back. Even if Born would transfer (which would be a surprise with the NIL money he's getting and the player that he is at this level), UNI should be really good next year. I'll also point out UNI has had two total transfers in the last 8 years and they were both family situations more than basketball situtations.

PG RJ Taylor-3 time 1st Team All State in Michigan and likely Mr Basketball
PF Wes Rubin- 1st Team Chicago Public League at Simeon
SF Kyle Pock- 2 time 1st Team All State in Missouri and best player outside of KC/St Louis

Jake is set up for another pretty good 3 or 4 year run here.

Phyfe can/is coming back?? Filip Rebraca and Stetson Bennett look out!

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
That would be a dumb move. He's already a major liability on defense at the MVC level. He's a really good offensive player though - perfect fit at this level. Messing with that would be foolish.

Anyone suggesting he'd be a fit in the B12 doesn't realize just how tiny he is.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Anyone suggesting he'd be a fit in the B12 doesn't realize just how tiny he is.

It's a not a perfect apples to apples comparison, but Nowell at K-State seems to be doing just fine, and' he's listed as being shorter than Born.

Anyway, as a dual ISU/UNI fan I'm perfectly happy to keep Bowen up in Cedar Falls.

Reactions: Drew0311 and NENick

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
He would've taken it too. They talked money and Minnesota offered less than a $400,000 raise from where he is now and that's exactly why he didn't take it.

He's talked over and over about not messing with happy and he's not out to chase jobs just to chase jobs, he's also a guy that has flat said he's not going to coach forever. He makes $1M in Cedar Falls and has complete and total job security. He's 7ish years from passing Henry Iba as the all time winningest Valley coach and I would guess he doesn't hang on much past that. He'll hand the program to Seth Tuttle and UNI Basketball will be in good hands for another generation.
I think he's 5 wins from passing Iba. There's only 7 regular season games left, so it could happen this year yet, but next year is probably more likely.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
UNI has the 2nd or 3rd best recruiting class in school history coming next year along with getting Heise and Phyfe back. Even if Born would transfer (which would be a surprise with the NIL money he's getting and the player that he is at this level), UNI should be really good next year. I'll also point out UNI has had two total transfers in the last 8 years and they were both family situations more than basketball situtations.

SF Kyle Pock- 2 time 1st Team All State in Missouri and best player outside of KC/St Louis

If Jake was gonna bolt he would have done it years ago. UNI has got the ship righted and will be good for some time. As "and also" Drake fan I hate to see it.

Minnesota REALLY messed up hiring the wrong Ben.. I imagine Coach Jake would have retained Green and his deep connections to the twin cities.. They wouldn't be the laughing stock of the B1G.

A seriously want to know how a coach like him is still at UNI?

He must like it there. Job security means a lot to some. Chasing the payday means a lot to others.

Reactions: NWICY and 1UNI2ISU

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
Apparently, Seton from DP Show was at the game last night and on KXNO. Always kinda liked that guy.
Yep. And he declared Des Moines his favorite city on the show this morning while drinking at el bait shop. I’m sure he hit the town pretty hard last night after a pretty thrilling game. Shoot he probably had a few at the Knapp Center, too.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yep. And he declared Des Moines his favorite city on the show this morning while drinking at el bait shop. I’m sure he hit the town pretty hard last night after a pretty thrilling game. Shoot he probably had a few at the Knapp Center, too.
What hour was that? I'll check that out.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006

How does UNI get Michigan’s Mr Basketball?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I think he's 5 wins from passing Iba. There's only 7 regular season games left, so it could happen this year yet, but next year is probably more likely.
Should have been more clear. Talking total wins not just league wins.

You're right he's going to pass him in league wins either this year or first thing next year. He's 153 behind him in total wins. (Iba is at 486, Jake is at 333)

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and JD720

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Wait, you watched it on ESPN+? Where are you located?
I watched in on ESPN+ and live in Dubuque after the cyclone women's game. It was interesting because the game scoreboard crawl mentioned it was a Bally Sports game. Not sure how ESPN streams games produced by a competing media company.

Bally Sport (old Fox Regional Sports Channels) is owned by Sinclair Group. Saw last week that they may declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Not sure if that will have an impact on the media rights marketplace. Some MLB teams are probably a bit nervous.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I've run across the blackouts too its infuriating because local teams is kind of why I got it. If it's blacked out does that mean it's on somewhere else for sure?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
It's a not a perfect apples to apples comparison, but Nowell at K-State seems to be doing just fine, and' he's listed as being shorter than Born.

Anyway, as a dual ISU/UNI fan I'm perfectly happy to keep Bowen up in Cedar Falls.

I’m not just talking about short, Nowell is solidly built. Born is short and thin. Born also definitely does not make up for his lack of size with intensity on defense. He’s a very uninterested defender at times

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
... was pretty entertaining tonight. Drake now in a 4-way tie for 1st in the MVC. UNI in a 4-way tie for 2nd, one game back. 8 teams within one game of the conference lead. That's kind of cool.
Technically, UNI is in a 4-way tie for 5th with four teams ahead of them - even though they are only one game back. That crazy MVC! Go Bulldogs!

• Friendly
Reactions: NENick and CyDawg23