UNI Football..

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Hope you are correct. My UNI source says they will be much improved over last year. I think we will be too. I expect a hard fought 7-10 point win. Hate games like that. I expect to be nervous well into the 4th quarter.

Last year, ISU had the most trouble with their transfer QB scrambling and picking up first downs. That won't be the case this year. From what I remember, the OL struggled and Warren didn't know what to do with no holes in front of him. Lanning, Lazard and Warren had bad games.

I feel a lot better with a somewhat more experienced OL or at least one that is more experienced in the system. That and Montgomery is going to run over people and not go down or fumble whenever he gets hit. ISU will be able to grind out yards on the ground and they have a QB that can hit open WRs/TEs if UNI really stacks the box. I don't think that there's any way UNI stays within 2 TDs unless there are a bunch of freaky turnovers. After a year, I have a lot more faith in the coaching staff to gameplan and put guys in the best position to win than I've had in a long time.

Reactions: Brandon

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
I think the biggest difference for this year vs the past is Park. We haven't had that much QB skill behind center since Seneca. It shouldn't be within 2 tds.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
As a Panther fan and alum but an ISU supporter, I find these threads hilarious. Some of you just don't learn. It doesn't matter what sort of players UNI has. They are always a well coached team full of guys who want to win. You can hate Farley all you want, but he's a damn good coach and a great recruiter for UNI.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
As a Panther fan and alum but an ISU supporter, I find these threads hilarious. Some of you just don't learn. It doesn't matter what sort of players UNI has. They are always a well coached team full of guys who want to win. You can hate Farley all you want, but he's a damn good coach and a great recruiter for UNI.
It's a game we expect to win because we feel we are better than UNI (more money, better facilities, etc) and entitled to win. Ironically, our fans get pissed at Iowa fans for feeling the exact same way about us.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It's a game we expect to win because we feel we are better than UNI (more money, better facilities, etc) and entitled to win. Ironically, our fans get pissed at Iowa fans for feeling the exact same way about us.

Here's the difference: UNI is at a lower level with less scholarships. ISU SHOULD beat UNI. Every single player they have minus the 1A transfers, ISU could have gotten if they wanted. When ISU loses to UNI, it is due to poor evaluation, development and mistake-filled play. Iowa to ISU should be a much smaller deficit. They have more money and tradition and should beat ISU most years, which they do over time. But the valley between ISU and UNI means that we should hardly ever lose to them. Unfortunately, UNI wins more than they should due to consistency of their coaching staff and good development of players. Hopefully, ISU remedies that starting this year.

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014
Here's the difference: UNI is at a lower level with less scholarships. ISU SHOULD beat UNI. Every single player they have minus the 1A transfers, ISU could have gotten if they wanted. When ISU loses to UNI, it is due to poor evaluation, development and mistake-filled play. Iowa to ISU should be a much smaller deficit. They have more money and tradition and should beat ISU most years, which they do over time. But the valley between ISU and UNI means that we should hardly ever lose to them. Unfortunately, UNI wins more than they should due to consistency of their coaching staff and good development of players. Hopefully, ISU remedies that starting this year.
Well, their staff consistency doesn't factor in this year unless you believe, as many UNI fans do, that Farley micromanages every aspect of their program.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

UNI went 5-6 last year. If Iowa State can't expect to win this one pack it up and head to Thebes's MAC.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
UNI went 5-6 last year. If Iowa State can't expect to win this one pack it up and head to Thebes's MAC.

Last year has little to do with this year..not saying we shouldn't beat UNI..we should..but UNI was a diff ball club last half of year as was ISU. First games are wierd. UNI returns a fair amount as does ISU. Last year was honestly one of worst games I've seen ISU play and yet still really should have won despite the 3 turnovers in last 4 possessions.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Well, their staff consistency doesn't factor in this year unless you believe, as many UNI fans do, that Farley micromanages every aspect of their program.

Without having any intimate knowledge of their program, that's pretty much what I've always thought happened up there. I've always thought of Farley as a mini Bill Snyder.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

That's not really ironic at all.

Unless you think that an orange orange is ironic compared to a red apple.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Without having any intimate knowledge of their program, that's pretty much what I've always thought happened up there. I've always thought of Farley as a mini Bill Snyder.

Except UNI was good long before Farley arrived

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
UNI will be the least talented team we play all year.

The simple fact is that Iowa State has better players at very position on the field. If they execute their game plan, then they will win period.

I will not guarantee a win, but I will not spend one second of my life worrying about UNI or looking over their roster. There are 11 other games on the schedule to be concerned about the matchups and win chances.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
UNI will be the least talented team we play all year.

The simple fact is that Iowa State has better players at very position on the field. If they execute their game plan, then they will win period.

I will not guarantee a win, but I will not spend one second of my life worrying about UNI or looking over their roster. There are 11 other games on the schedule to be concerned about the matchups and win chances.

I dont disagree....accept that this UNI game might be the most important game in CMC tenure. Seems silly but lose to UNI 2 straight years in your first 2 years and go on to have another 3-4 win season and that would be really really bad.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

I agree with your sentiment. I hate that Iowa State fans talk to the 3 or 4 thousand actual UNI fans in existence the same dismissive way they get mad at Iowa fans for.

Farley is not a great guy. He has been a great recruiter, and he did finally break the ceiling and get to a title game 10 years ago. But he's blown at least two national championships since with his stubbornness and inability to react on the sidelines.

He does McCarney this game though, and so they win. But then he loses three **** games to scrubs in their conference because he's pretty mediocre. They turn it on, and a 9-10 win team wins just 7. They don't get a bye, and have to go to Fargo for the second round and they lose.

I'm not saying that they won't get way up, and "super bowl" this game. History tells us it is quite possible they will. But look at the end of the season, history also tells us they'll be 7-5 and lose in the first or second round of the season playoffs, at best.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron