Universities start June 2nd

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Considering how thoroughly Downey was handled by Pfarr twice this year, he'd be lucky to make it through an entire match with McIntosh.
They would be wrestling at the equivalent of 190 pounds. That is a weight cut for McIntosh, and what is probably street weight for Downey. It is also freestyle, so I think it would have been a fantastic match to see.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Really? What did you expect? Hawks had 5 in semis. Of course PD3 would have won it all if he had gone....as he said he was....

When sending 16 guys to a tournament like this I expect more than 1 guy placing 6th. I don't see how that's some sort of unrealistic expectation. Just looked at Iowa's results since you brought them up. They placed 7 and that's without guys like Gilman, Clark, Burak and Stoll taking the mat. 4(!) of the 7 guys who placed didn't even start for them last season. I don't have that level of expectations but would certainly like to see a few more placewinners. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

Not seeing much clear evidence that Downey would have won it but no doubt he had a shot and would have placed highly.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
They would be wrestling at the equivalent of 190 pounds. That is a weight cut for McIntosh, and what is probably street weight for Downey. It is also freestyle, so I think it would have been a fantastic match to see.

I don't think that's exactly true on McIntosh. He's always been a small 197 pounder. He weighed in over a pound under the limit.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Considering how thoroughly Downey was handled by Pfarr twice this year, he'd be lucky to make it through an entire match with McIntosh.

LOL...at his ideal weight, a healed fractured rib, lots of quality training and freestyle...McIntosh is lucky that PD3 tore his MCL two weeks ago.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD

No-one is more disappointed than PD3. He's been wanting that match-up since they each won Fargo in 12th grade. It would have been a great match.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
LOL...at his ideal weight, a healed fractured rib, lots of quality training and freestyle...McIntosh is lucky that PD3 tore his MCL two weeks ago.
If only he hadn't been arrested multiple times, been able to wrestle at his ideal weight, not had the rib, mcl, broken thumb, etc. we'd likely be looking at a guy challenging Cael's record.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
If only he hadn't been arrested multiple times, been able to wrestle at his ideal weight, not had the rib, mcl, broken thumb, etc. we'd likely be looking at a guy challenging Cael's record.

Go away. PD2 might be a biased, proud and somewhat arrogant dad but he's OUR biased, proud and somewhat arrogant dad. Go back to the Iowa board where you belong.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD

Yeah, and if only the judicial system hadn't waited until AFTER he won the NHSCA Senior Nationals (after not wrestling all year) to drop the five 'remaining' of the initial fourteen charges; and if only the Navy Midshipmen Varsity Football Players had stayed in their dorms (where they were suppose to be), instead of coming up to Baltimore to mess with two HIGH SCHOOL undefeated state wrestling champs (who were both minors), they might have kept their teeth; the same goes for the other COLLEGE punk who took the first swing..he might have also kept his teeth. Regardless....43-0 last year...CRABLEGS....suck it up, cupcake.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I suppose there's a fine line between confidence & expectations vs arrogance. Honestly, I only try to be arrogant with the trolls and haters. Anyway, thanks.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I suppose there's a fine line between confidence & expectations vs arrogance. Honestly, I only try to be arrogant with the trolls and haters. Anyway, thanks.

Arrogant may have been overboard and was meant as a friendly jab, not an insult. I have zero issue with anything you have posted.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Back to results. Can we not clump together 15 guys and say they under performed or over performed. Also, can we look at the age of our guys verse the age of the Iowa wrestlers. Lastly, this is freestyle not folkstyle so it really hard to compare unless you watched the matches. A takedown with 4 ankle laces is different then giving up 4-5 TDs. Here is my take on most of the guys:

Boston - I know for a fact he does not like or has experience at freestyle and it showed as he may have had the worse results of the main ISU guys. Making 125 in the off-season may have been a factor, too. I excpected so much more from him so hopefully he can maintain his weight and get back to wrestling like he did his true freshman year.

Simmons - Name one college Freshman that could beat Graff? The Pitt kid was ranked most or all of season so not a bad loss. Had 2-3 wins in-between so not sure what people are expecting from him.

Meeks - Disappointed. Still doesn't appear to be able to get over the hump.

Hall - Makes weight and he is in title discussion. Good showing up a weight.

Shaw - One match from placing. Has really improved and may be in the lead in being our 157-pounder next year. Very good tourny.

Renaldo - Disappointed. Not likeing the path he is heading down and he better get it figured out soon or may not be around long.

Breitenbach - Actually, had a decent tourny. Was 1 or 2 matches from placing and had a couple of nice wins.

DiBlasi - Great tournament with a win over an AA. One win from placing. Seems to be progressing real well during the last part of the season and through the off-season. No guarantee Dane would beat him if he makes 165 next season.

Harrington - Real solid tournament. Lost fairly close matches to a very good FS wrestler that has graduated and a NCAA AA. Did not give up a point except for those two matches and was one match from placing. I have been worried about his progression but it appears he is starting to put it together and could have a very good (AA contention) sophomre year.

Obviously, no one had a breakout tournament but I think Simmons, Shaw, DiBlasi, and Harrington showed that they could have very good freshmen and sophomore years. If you are expecting these 4 to be AA caliber today then yes, I guess you should be disappointed in their performance. Otherwise, not a bad weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clone83

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Harrington, Boston, and Renaldo were top recruits. It is not unreasonable to expect them to be AAs or near AAs by their 3rd year at ISU. This tournament showed they are not ready to be at that level which is disappointing.

Simmons has only been here 1 year so I don't want to lump him in with the others because I think he can still make significant improvements. But word on these forums was that he was right there with Hall, and possibly even beating him, that doesn't appear to be the case from this weekend.

Mar 12, 2014
Back to results. Can we not clump together 15 guys and say they under performed or over performed. Also, can we look at the age of our guys verse the age of the Iowa wrestlers. Lastly, this is freestyle not folkstyle so it really hard to compare unless you watched the matches. A takedown with 4 ankle laces is different then giving up 4-5 TDs. Here is my take on most of the guys:

Boston - I know for a fact he does not like or has experience at freestyle and it showed as he may have had the worse results of the main ISU guys. Making 125 in the off-season may have been a factor, too. I excpected so much more from him so hopefully he can maintain his weight and get back to wrestling like he did his true freshman year.

Simmons - Name one college Freshman that could beat Graff? The Pitt kid was ranked most or all of season so not a bad loss. Had 2-3 wins in-between so not sure what people are expecting from him.

Hall - Makes weight and he is in title discussion. Good showing up a weight.

A couple of key points.

Boston went 7-2 his true freshman year with 5 out of his 7 wins coming from non-D1 competition, so it's hard to say how well he'll do at 125# this upcoming season, especially with the weight cut. Any insiders know who wins between Boston and Larson?

Simmons had a tough first round draw no doubt but the Forys kid is the level of competition that he's going to have to beat to make it to the podium and he's well aware of that. His 3 wins were against competition that was one win away from hitting .500 in folkstyle, not a good indicator.

Hall making weight 61kg, he's easily a top 3 guy, imo.

When a wrestler chooses to wrestle a style, you take the good with the bad and don't make excuses.

wafflestomp

Mar 23, 2015
Yeah, and if only the judicial system hadn't waited until AFTER he won the NHSCA Senior Nationals (after not wrestling all year) to drop the five 'remaining' of the initial fourteen charges; and if only the Navy Midshipmen Varsity Football Players had stayed in their dorms (where they were suppose to be), instead of coming up to Baltimore to mess with two HIGH SCHOOL undefeated state wrestling champs (who were both minors), they might have kept their teeth; the same goes for the other COLLEGE punk who took the first swing..he might have also kept his teeth. Regardless....43-0 last year...CRABLEGS....suck it up, cupcake.
Yep, it's ALWAYS the other guys fault....own up to it.....

CYwrestle

Feb 23, 2014
How many Olympians are the Hawks sending vs Iowa State......Not worth getting into the bs with the trolls Judoka.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Since you and everybody else is ignoring the question I'll answer it. Zero, Iowa is sending zero representatives to University Worlds.

Truth. But you were wrong in your post where you asked the question. No one from ISU is going, either.

If you want to ask how many wrestlers from Iowa and ISU won titles or placed, that doesn't work out so well, either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron