Urban Exploring at ISU

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
For a minute, you had me stumped. I was pretty sure I'd heard of and seen everything on ISU's campus, but I'd sure never heard of Spangler Lab, so I looked it up. Applied Sciences Complex? Come on, that is NOT "on campus". By that definition, the new dairy farm down in Ankeny is "on campus", too! I will give you, though, that the whole ASC is creepy as all hell. Gives me the heebie-jeebies just being in the parking lot.

lol, the dairy farm in Ankeny was sold in like 2006. The new facility is about 3 miles straight south of campus.

The old dairy farm though, that place was neat. Well, before the dead dude. Remember, that Jon Lacina was found dead at the bottom of the steps in the boiler room? Yeah now it creeps me out. Those of us who've been in there know you don't just wind up there on your own. I had overheard one of the maintenance guys talking to a bigwig in Ag and I guess he was there with the police and there was a window broken and he was wrapped in plastic...this guy was pretty creeped out.

Back when they still milked there, one professor told me they often got drunks from campus wandering over to watch them milk at night.

Edit: sorry for replying to a super old post! didn't realize it was this old. Now I need to read all of it, some awesome stories here! I lived in Friley for two years and my now-husband worked for the DoR for a summer and told me about the staircase to nowhere, and the haunted laundry in Dodds.

When did that bridge at Brookside disappear? In the flooding?...I remember walking/biking across it in the 2007-2010 time frame

Last edited:

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
The bridge here.

My assumption is that it's the old Dinkey line, or that the University power plant used to be fed coal from trains before they started trucking it in. I'm gonna go with Dinkey.

I'm thinking it might be to the north of your arrow and we climbed on the west side of the creek. It was about 30 years ago though.

You both are right the bridge S of 6th was the old Dinkey bridge, then abandoned and a nice place to sit. it would have been cool to add as part of trail system as City proposed as described in article, but the RR is a bunch of fuddy-duddies. It was torn down in Sept 2010, as you can read here:

Dinkey bridge may yet prevail - Iowa State Daily: News

It got the activists and artists up in arms...
Dinkey Bridge destruction distresses local artists - Iowa State Daily: News

and here is some info about the Dinkey...
Ames & College Railway Dinkey

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
You both are right the bridge S of 6th was the old Dinkey bridge, then abandoned and a nice place to sit. it would have been cool to add as part of trail system as City proposed as described in article, but the RR is a bunch of fuddy-duddies. It was torn down in Sept 2010, as you can read here:

Dinkey bridge may yet prevail - Iowa State Daily: News

It got the activists and artists up in arms...
Dinkey Bridge destruction distresses local artists - Iowa State Daily: News

and here is some info about the Dinkey...
Ames & College Railway Dinkey
Well that's a shame. It was pretty sweet. Thanks for the info

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
Went to the shrine tonight. We drove by once saw lights on in the house, drove by on the way back they were shut off and we saw a flashlight from the shrine. Needless to say scared ********.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
This has got to be one of the best threads ever. It will go months without a post then it'll get brought back to life and i re read a few pages and remember how awesome ISU is

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Went to the shrine tonight. We drove by once saw lights on in the house, drove by on the way back they were shut off and we saw a flashlight from the shrine. Needless to say scared ********.

Is "the shrine" that weird tee-pee like thing out west of Ames on some farm? If so, yes, that place is freaky.

K

KFitzy87

Just spent the last 90 minutes reading this entire thread and watching the Youtube clips included... I really want to drive by the Shrine sometime... I'll have to convince someone else to come with though! I don't think I could do it alone :smile:

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Just spent the last 90 minutes reading this entire thread and watching the Youtube clips included... I really want to drive by the Shrine sometime... I'll have to convince someone else to come with though! I don't think I could do it alone :smile:

It's not that scary to drive by, just don't linger too long.I spent many a night next door, it's not that bad, just an abstract dude....that's crazy!

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Some friends and I have gone out during the day to see what it looks like but are planning on going out at night sometime in the next few weeks.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
DANG!!! This thread is awesome. I just read through most of the posts and it brings back some memories. I was in the Towers in the late 80s and remember hearing about the "Dungeon" at Friley, but never found out too much more about it.

When I was there, one night when a student jumped from either the 8th or 9th floor of Wallace Hall. This happened during a floor meeting which we had weekly. That night I remember sitting on the ground in the den and out of the corner of my eye, I swore I saw something pass by the window. I didn't think anything of it because I wasn't looking at it - you know how you see things using your peripherals? I just figured there was a quick movement in the room or something.

Anyway, there is bridge west of Ames (2-3 miles?) that goes over a train track. I remember this bridge being particularly low and when the train would pass under you, it seemed like just a few feet, the bridge would shake and you could feel the wind from the train. It was a rush but a little scary too.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just spent the last hour and a half reading through all 40 pages of this damn thing. If I would've known it was about some shrine thing, I probably wouldn't have done it. I was way more interested in roof access and things like that.

Also, surprised it isn't mentioned but the staircase in Parks Library that leads to nowhere? Anyone know about it. Pretty weird.

There's an entrance to the steam tunnels in my brother's old room in BWR. We snuck down there a couple times, as its right at a spot between two alarms. If you go about 20 feet, you can see them, so its pretty easy to avoid setting them off, but you can't go very damn far either.

Do you mind PMing me the room number and how to get in? Really interested.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Also, surprised it isn't mentioned but the staircase in Parks Library that leads to nowhere? Anyone know about it. Pretty weird.

I don't know specifically what you are talking about. But Parks is a strange building. It was built in 1925, then an addition were added in 1961, and in 1969 another addition that also smoothed the transition between the old and the new. Now It is basically like half of the old library is inside of newer library.

This is also why there are 7 tiers and 5 floors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron