VIDEO: JaQuan Bailey unsportsmanlike penalty

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I loved watching the side judge spot the ball. He would watch the play, then walk up the sideline while looking at the first down marker, step past it look into the field and then spot the ball. How he could have nailed in the spot while walking up the sidelines looking away from the field is interesting. Most I see spot the ball and then look back to check for a first down.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I saw the penalty right away last night. It was a really stupid move but I don't think people understand the nuances associated with the call. He wasn't near any Texas players he was away from the play. It clearly wasn't taunting. Based on some of the stuff they do let go that is actually taunting I thought it was iffy personally I'd call it but I'd also call a lot of other stuff.

With that said I thought there was a lot of the close calls like usuall that they got away with and we didn't didnt. The constant obvious holds, the pass interference, the late hits, and the reviews. They all go against us and the reviews may have been right but it is frustrating.

You do know the penalty numbers, right?

• Disagree
Reactions: CY88CE11

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
No diffrent than the Wadle play. Is it a dumb rule? Yes. Did his actions have any effect on the play itself? No. Is it a clear penalty based on the dumb rule that has no effect on the play itself? Absolutely.

I just don't get it. I don't mean to blast the young man, but at least get back on the sideline before you do something like that. How hard could that be?

• Agree
Reactions: Shawker

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
That was one of the weirdest calls ever. Basically a penalty for legally tackling a runner while he's still gaining yards.

Walters said he thought it was a botched targeting call, and rather than review and correct the mistake they turned it into a nonsense late hit call.

That's the only reasoning I could see. Terrible job by the refs, but targeting definitely could have been called so I wasn't too upset.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
The refs didn't have a good night period. I don't understand how in one half you never get called for holding and the next half every other play you get called. The overturn on the 2 reviews were correct, but how the refs ever gave the ball to ISU in the first place is crazy.

If not 100% certain such as on the play that may have been the lateral, they are to let it go and let replay view it. Better that way if not certain. Had it been a lateral and they blew the whistle and Texas maintained possession that would have been worse than letting it play out and review the tape to get it right. Watching live I wasn't sure but watching the replay it was clear. Maybe by only a yard but it was a forward pass that was incomplete.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That's the only reasoning I could see. Terrible job by the refs, but targeting definitely could have been called so I wasn't too upset.

It was a bizarre call that we wound up benefiting from. From the way I've seen targeting called this year, I imagine they would have tossed him. While we are on the topic, though, they definitely could have called targeting on that hit on Butler in the endzone as well. Dude definitely launched himself at his head.

Last edited:

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
you blame the refs, you're looking in the wrong place. we lost and we deserved it.

in my opinion, the ENTIRE game has a different feel and maybe outcome if we don't get that penalty by Bailey and we put points on the board.

Instead, we played catch up...something our program can't play

yeah so many things. Not running more, not going for it inside your opponents 40 when your defense has been tough, not throwing it up where Lazard can go for it when he is covered one on one by a D-back a half a foot shorter than him.

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
That set the tone for the rest of the night.
I agree, but also wonder if this was just the first sign of a tone that was set before the kickoff. Our D (with very very few exceptions) played solid football. The offense (combination of several things) was abysmal, and it seem to barrel role as the game went on. They just seem to be mentally someplace else, and that includes our staff. Not a fun one to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
It was a terrible call.

He was 40 yards from the play in front of his own bench. There wasn't a Texas player within 30 yards.

I asked this on twitter, but what's the difference between that and JD Waggoners leg kick celebration after a sack? IMO that's more deserving of a penalty then what this was.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGuy5 and jkclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I saw the penalty right away last night. It was a really stupid move but I don't think people understand the nuances associated with the call. He wasn't near any Texas players he was away from the play. It clearly wasn't taunting. Based on some of the stuff they do let go that is actually taunting I thought it was iffy personally I'd call it but I'd also call a lot of other stuff.

With that said I thought there was a lot of the close calls like usuall that they got away with and we didn't didnt. The constant obvious holds, the pass interference, the late hits, and the reviews. They all go against us and the reviews may have been right but it is frustrating.

This is my point. They don't call that every time. Whoever said they call that 95% of the time...you don't watch the same college football I do.

• Disagree
Reactions: CY88CE11

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I know it was early in game but it completely turned the mood of the team it seemed..TX went down to score 1 of their 2 TD's for the game after that. Huge mistake.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
One of those calls I get it either way.....a good veteran ref should have pulled him and MC aside and said if anyone does that kind of crap again, its a penalty. I notice the good refs in hoops will pull two players going at it aside and lay down the law.

Either way, he shouldn't have done it, and Texas is a team you can't afford to get in a hole against.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I disagree completely that this changed the tone for the game last night. Park and the offense sucked super hard. The defense did its job. This was completely on the offense, not a 15 yard penalty.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Set the tone of the offense for the first half after that was turned into a TD. Offense almost got clicking in the second half after the interception and on a couple of good starting position, but failure to capitalize on those by 3rd down passing plays that should have been runs never allowed it. To me, punting 3 times around the 35-40 yard line shows the lack of confidence we have in our place kicker. If Owens is not accurate past 40 yards, put Francis in there for the long field goals. He'd get it there, maybe not as accurate but it'd give us a shot for points to reward the defense.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Every Texas game comes down to the Refs and Texas gets the call every time. Right or wrong. This one was probably right. The Peavy one was wrong. The missed PIs were wrong. Some how always in Texas' favor in the end.
You do know Texas had more than twice as many penalties as we did last night, correct? And that many of them were holding and other drive-stopping calls?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
this was a similar call in an nfl game.

hhhf.gif

How is that a penalty? Its football. You don't have to be nice

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron