Volleyball recruiting

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
And ICYMI amongst the CyTown news, the ISU Tennis Practice Facility will be repurposed for VB while the Tennis program will be moving to an expanded Ames Racquet Club that will include practice facilities and an indoor competition venue.

Hopefully, the repurposed VB facility will help stimulate needed improvement in recruiting, development and conditioning.
Is there an article that discusses this further? It's news to me. Hopefully will help ISU get to a higher level.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We never had a chance for either-
The Peterson twins have made a decision on where they will play college VB. Payton to Louisville and Jadyn will play for Mom at UNI. Payton is the top shelf prospect with her other finalists being Creighton and KSU.

And ICYMI amongst the CyTown news, the ISU Tennis Practice Facility will be repurposed for VB while the Tennis program will be moving to an expanded Ames Racquet Club that will include practice facilities and an indoor competition venue.

Hopefully, the repurposed VB facility will help stimulate needed improvement in recruiting, development and conditioning.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Is there an article that discusses this further? It's news to me. Hopefully will help ISU get to a higher level.

That's pretty much the long and short of it.

ISU and Ames Racquet are getting together on a 6-outdoor/6-indoor facility that ISU will lease for use.

When tennis moves out to ARFC, VB will move into the current tennis facility out by the BB practice facility.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
That's pretty much the long and short of it.

ISU and Ames Racquet are getting together on a 6-outdoor/6-indoor facility that ISU will lease for use.

When tennis moves out to ARFC, VB will move into the current tennis facility out by the BB practice facility.
The current tennis facility opened in 2017, I'm guessing it's still in great condition.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A volleyball facility seating 6500? and an ice hockey rink seating 5000 would be nice in CY town.
A multi-purpose facility for VB and Wrestling matches with a capacity of 4K-5K that could also be used for year round for club VB/Wrestling/BB, camps, convention floor space and student/alum events would have been ideal for CyTown.

ISU VB is losing recruits to other programs with smaller venues that have better home match environments. While she may have never considered ISU regardless, Payton Petersen is an example with her Louisville decision. Louisville has emerged as VB power who went to last season's Final 4 and plays in a 1.5K bandbox. One of her other finalist was Creighton who plays in 2.5K capacity arena. And the other top Upper MW VB programs all play in similar VB only facilities: NU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Marquette, Illinois.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We were not getting Peterson no matter what. If Payton decided to stay in Iowa she would have played for her mom. Will a volleyball specific venue and facilities help with recruiting I am sure it will. There are bigger issues

• Informative
Reactions: OKClones

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
A multi-purpose facility for VB and Wrestling matches with a capacity of 4K-5K that could also be used for year round for club VB/Wrestling/BB, camps, convention floor space and student/alum events would have been ideal for CyTown.

Not with how pissy people are about parking.

Also, that horse is dead.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Not with how pissy people are about parking.

Also, that horse is dead.
The space designated as "Convention Center" on the master plan rendering perhaps has enough space to put in bleacher and some permanent seating for approx 2K-3K to use for VB and Wrestling matches in addition to being used for convention floor space. That would pacify the pissy parking folks.

Last night's UT-KU match had a terrific atmosphere at KU's VB venue with a SRO attendance of 1,914. UT had to reverse sweep to win the match.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The space designated as "Convention Center" on the master plan rendering perhaps has enough space to put in bleacher and some permanent seating for approx 2K-3K to use for VB and Wrestling matches in addition to being used for convention floor space. That would pacify the pissy parking folks.

Last night's UT-KU match had a terrific atmosphere at KU's VB venue with a SRO attendance of 1,914. UT had to reverse sweep to win the match.
Wow. I watched that match on TV. It sounded like there were 5,000+ in attendance.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Quite the match yesterday between DNH and Western Christian. DNH was leading 14-11 in Set 5 but WC reeled off five straight points to win 16-14. WC is very good but DNH was considered the best team in the state, regardless of class.

Also noticed that Hinton has a very good frosh 5-11 OH named Baily Boeve who could be a relative to former ISU great, Erin Boeve.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Haven't read this entire thread & I realize that this is old news. Interesting article about the Kolar family.

Yea, I didn't realize until late in Charlie's time at ISU that his mom is a native Iowan from Dubuque- Maria Rhomberg who played at Wahlert in the mid-80's

• Informative
Reactions: farm85

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Yea, I didn't realize until late in Charlie's time at ISU that his mom is a native Iowan from Dubuque- Maria Rhomberg who played at Wahlert in the mid-80's
I grew up in the Dubuque area in the 80s and there were a bunch of stud athletes in the Rhomberg family. Interesting coincidence that Matt Thomas’ mom was also an athlete at Wahlert HS.

• Informative
Reactions: farm85

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ICYMI, ISU signed two 2023 recruits yesterday, one from TX and one from MD. The in state 2023 class was not that strong, perhaps the top prospect, Cassidy Hartman from IC Liberty, signed with UNI but I may have missed somebody who signed with an out of state program.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Payton Petersen to Louisville 2024 that was the only other outstanding Iowa player. Some were impressed with Anika Ivestor Xavier HS but not sure her game will translate at the next level?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Payton Petersen to Louisville 2024 that was the only other outstanding Iowa player. Some were impressed with Anika Ivestor Xavier HS but not sure her game will translate at the next level?
I saw some rankings yesterday for 2023 Iowa prospects and they had Lily Dykstra (Urbandale) #1, Cassidy Hartman (IC Liberty) #2 and Kayla Knowles (Denver) #3. Dykstra and Hartman signed with UNI and Knowles signed with Houston.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfan1965