Volleyball recruiting

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
From volleyballmag.com on Rachel van Gorp, their Kansas Player of the Year.

KANSAS — Rachel Van Gorp, 5-9 Sr. OH, Heritage Christian Academy (Olathe)

A tremendous athlete who also is a Kansas 3A long jump and high jump state champion, Van Gorp carried her team to the Kansas 3A volleyball title for the third straight year in 2023. The Iowa State signee had 11 kills, 13 digs and two aces in the 2-0 championship match win, completing a season in which she recorded 397 kills, 289 digs and 79 aces. Van Gorp was named to her fourth straight All-State Tournament team and she is the three-time Kansas 3A Player of the Year. “Rachel is a phenomenal volleyball player,” Iowa State head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch said in a press release. “She’s played at a very high level for a long time. She can play the whole game and has a very high volleyball IQ. She can pass, play defense, hit, serve; she’s kind of got all the skills. Rachel is an incredible competitor. I think when I recruited her that’s probably what I noticed first and foremost. She’s very skilled, but she’s a tremendous competitor and she gets better with more pressure and the bigger the competition.” One Kansas coach likened her to Stanford All-America Morgan Hentz and said that, though she played in a smaller classification, she would dominate at any level. Van Gorp narrowly edged uber-talented junior OH/S Logan Parks of 6A runner up Blue Valley North for the honor.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Here is a writeup on the all 3 2024 signees:

Please to see the quality of these incoming recruits. Aside Gonzales van Gorp may make Iowa State volleyball a real threat. I remember over the years planning trips to Ames to catch several matches. Lately, I hardly give it an afterthought. Go Cyclone VB!

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The link in this tweet shows that Englebrecht is in the portal as well in addition to Perry, Hopp and Heidemann:

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
From volleyballmag.com on Rachel van Gorp, their Kansas Player of the Year.

KANSAS — Rachel Van Gorp, 5-9 Sr. OH, Heritage Christian Academy (Olathe)

A tremendous athlete who also is a Kansas 3A long jump and high jump state champion, Van Gorp carried her team to the Kansas 3A volleyball title for the third straight year in 2023. The Iowa State signee had 11 kills, 13 digs and two aces in the 2-0 championship match win, completing a season in which she recorded 397 kills, 289 digs and 79 aces. Van Gorp was named to her fourth straight All-State Tournament team and she is the three-time Kansas 3A Player of the Year. “Rachel is a phenomenal volleyball player,” Iowa State head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch said in a press release. “She’s played at a very high level for a long time. She can play the whole game and has a very high volleyball IQ. She can pass, play defense, hit, serve; she’s kind of got all the skills. Rachel is an incredible competitor. I think when I recruited her that’s probably what I noticed first and foremost. She’s very skilled, but she’s a tremendous competitor and she gets better with more pressure and the bigger the competition.” One Kansas coach likened her to Stanford All-America Morgan Hentz and said that, though she played in a smaller classification, she would dominate at any level. Van Gorp narrowly edged uber-talented junior OH/S Logan Parks of 6A runner up Blue Valley North for the honor.

They play best of three in Kansas High School??

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
The only one I didn't know about was Perry. Given her playing time or lack thereof not a shocker.

cincy_cy2014

Jan 19, 2023
Maggie Mendelson from Nebraska has entered the portal. 2 years of volleyball left and 3 years of basketball left.

Would be curious to see if CJL can get some NIL money to get her to Iowa State!

Reactions: BenEClone

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Maggie Mendelson from Nebraska has entered the portal. 2 years of volleyball left and 3 years of basketball left.

Would be curious to see if CJL can get some NIL money to get her to Iowa State!
She is probably the best of those leaving Nebraska. Cook recruits really well - no slouches on his bench. A 6'5" middle blocker would be a good add.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
2nd Team All B12 setter, Averi Carlson from Baylor, is transferring to national champ Texas who already has a very good and potential AA setter in Ella Swindle. Swindle is 6-3 so it could be that UT goes to a 6-2 or Swindle rotates between setter and other positions.

That is a significant loss for BU. B12 VB next season will be much more wide open as to who wins the conference title with UT's exit and that is something that ISU will hopefully exploit. CJL has been terrific for ISU but she has yet to win a conference title.

I have yet to see any new destinations for the ISU players in the portal nor any potential or announced incoming transfers to ISU.

Reactions: NWICY

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
According to this link => https://linktr.ee/collegevbtransfers :

Addi Heidemann is transferring to App State and Kelsey Perry is transferring to Florida State.

Also noticed that Texas Tech is losing 9 players to the portal (2 of them being Grads) with one incoming portal player so far.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

6-4 who was primarily MB at WV. From Tulsa so probably had ties to CJL assistant Ciara Jones (former OU assistant). She was tied for 4th in points scored on the B12's worst team. One would think her production will significantly increase with better players surrounding her. Having two years left is an added bonus.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Jackson is a great MB portal pickup for CJL. WVU struggled last season, but were solid with Jackson playing as a freshman in 2022.

Will be interesting to see what WVU looks like with their coaching change.