WBB: Cyclones at Iowa tonight at 6:30 p.m.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Well...we knew depending on freshmen was going to be a rollercoaster ride. We got three solid quarters from them. As others have posted I'm more concerned over what is going on with Scott and Johnson. As seniors they should be more consistent and solid contributors. Not seeing that yet. The team is a puzzle for sure and unless they figure it out soon the season will continue to look like it has so far.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
I have been thinking about what I thought went wrong and who to blame, but really it comes down to making shots and missing shots. We didn't rush them or take bad ones it is simply not making them and not rebounds. Too many turnovers hurt. They will play another day and make more mistakes but they are learning and we are fortunate to be along for the ride. This loss stings, more like a 3rd degree burn but slap on some cream on to the next.
Also one last opinion, this is why we have cream puff games, to get into a grove and know each other, those games were sorely missed this year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I have been thinking about what I thought went wrong and who to blame, but really it comes down to making shots and missing shots. We didn't rush them or take bad ones it is simply not making them and not rebounds. Too many turnovers hurt. They will play another day and make more mistakes but they are learning and we are fortunate to be along for the ride. This loss stings, more like a 3rd degree burn but slap on some cream on to the next.
Also one last opinion, this is why we have cream puff games, to get into a grove and know each other, those games were sorely missed this year.
1. "Making shots and missing shots" - well, attempting 3's with a 17 point lead played right into Iowa's hands. We took bad shots. Work the ball, work the clock, attempt from closer in, and make Iowa guard you, maybe even foul you.
2. This kinda was a "cream puff" game until the 4th qtr. collapse. Still think this game develops us more than blasting Winona State by 30.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
1. "Making shots and missing shots" - well, attempting 3's with a 17 point lead played right into Iowa's hands. We took bad shots. Work the ball, work the clock, attempt from closer in, and make Iowa guard you, maybe even foul you.
2. This kinda was a "cream puff" game until the 4th qtr. collapse. Still think this game develops us more than blasting Winona State by 30.

Agree especially point 2. You see teams like osu and ku wbb play cream puff schedules go undefeated pre-conference then by the end of the big 12 schedule they have a .500 record because they do nothing in conference play.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not sure details but he regularly gets kicked out of HS/grade school events and is required to sit with Principal or other administrators now. He also has had a lot of issues with customers at his family restaurant. Sad for his kids.

I sat near him one game last year and that was...an experience. I wondered how he was going to do in a quiet gym and I guess that's my answer.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Watching the game, most of the shots were not quick chuck up shots, but using a good portion of the shot clock with a couple of exceptions. Both Kane and Lex missed wide open bunnies, but that wasn't the difference. Think butterfly effect.
I am also not saying that our whole pre-season be cream puffs, but 2-3 easier games before bigger games even exhibition games help to work on the flow and gel of the team. I am glad we are getting tested, but just wishing we could have had more chances earlier beforehand but that is COVID and other teams are having the same issues. This will all work out.

Reactions: acoustimac

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Watching the game, most of the shots were not quick chuck up shots, but using a good portion of the shot clock with a couple of exceptions. Both Kane and Lex missed wide open bunnies, but that wasn't the difference. Think butterfly effect.
I am also not saying that our whole pre-season be cream puffs, but 2-3 easier games before bigger games even exhibition games help to work on the flow and gel of the team. I am glad we are getting tested, but just wishing we could have had more chances earlier beforehand but that is COVID and other teams are having the same issues. This will all work out.
1. I for one use the term "bunnies" to describe lay-ups and tip-ins; never shots from 20 ft 9 inches, wide open or not.
2. Coaches have different philosophies; my high school coach, with a 17 pt lead to start the 4th qtr would have said something like this: "we control this game, we can only beat ourselves. Work the ball on offense, force them to guard you, only shots from 15 feet in. Make them foul you. I don't care if they block it a dozen times. Any player shooting a three will be taken out and also not play the next game."
3. Iowa misses Doyle, the Big Ten player of the year last year, and Meyer a lot. Yes, they have Clark, but the rest of the lineup makes them very beatable.
4. We have great young talent in Donarski, Ryan and Aubrey Joens to go along with Ashley, and they don't like to lose. Just need some big bodies.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
1. I for one use the term "bunnies" to describe lay-ups and tip-ins; never shots from 20 ft 9 inches, wide open or not.
2. Coaches have different philosophies; my high school coach, with a 17 pt lead to start the 4th qtr would have said something like this: "we control this game, we can only beat ourselves. Work the ball on offense, force them to guard you, only shots from 15 feet in. Make them foul you. I don't care if they block it a dozen times. Any player shooting a three will be taken out and also not play the next game."
3. Iowa misses Doyle, the Big Ten player of the year last year, and Meyer a lot. Yes, they have Clark, but the rest of the lineup makes them very beatable.
4. We have great young talent in Donarski, Ryan and Aubrey Joens to go along with Ashley, and they don't like to lose. Just need some big bodies.
The two bunnies I was referring to were with 3 feet of the basket. It might have been in the 3rd and not the fourth quarter. I am NOT watching that replay! Once was enough.
I do agree with both your 3rd and 4th point.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
He was actually removed by campus police before the game even started. He was jawing and starting things with Iowa players families. Apparently he was cussing at campus police when they came to remove him.
He's on FB saying he was asked to move out of a "non designated" seat...even though he was sitting "all by himself." My guess he created a scene needlessly and was removed. He's trying to play the victim on FB tonight with a parent of a future Hawkeye recruit.

TXHawk

Sep 19, 2011
He's on FB saying he was asked to move out of a "non designated" seat...even though he was sitting "all by himself." My guess he created a scene needlessly and was removed. He's trying to play the victim on FB tonight with a parent of a future Hawkeye recruit.

I found this shedding more light on what happened. Watching the game right before tip you can see an UI security approach him and he begins pointing toward families across the aisle from him. But to not leave when told he had to, blame coaches who were trying to get their team ready, something isn't right with him. Glad his girls appear to have taken after their mother.

https://www.1630kcjj.com/2020/12/10...eets-at-former-players-player-families-media/

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
I still can't believe we blew that big of a lead to the howks.
I think it is clock management issue which freshman are not used to. Run 30 seconds off each possession and make a few shots and a 17 point lead for the last ten minutes is easy to protect.

Help Support Us

Become a patron