**** WBB: Game Thread - Cyclones host #4 Iowa Wednesday 6:00 pm ESPN2 ****

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
If we can depart from the meta-analysis of what constitutes ending a possession for a moment and just do something as simple as points/FGA (ESPN and others define this as "scoring efficiency):

35/31 = 1.1 points/shot is not dreadful but is not particularly good. Clark averages 1.4 so far this year and averaged 1.5 last year. Neither of those are remarkable either for a leading scorer. Addy Brown averages 1.4 this year, Crooks is at 1.6. Joens averaged 1.3 last year and over her career. Angie Welle averaged 1.8 in 2002. Marcus Fizer in 2000 averaged 1.5. Lipsey and Gilbert are averaging 1.4 and 1.5, respectfively. Caleb Grill last year averaged 1.3. Dedrick Willoughby 1997 averaged 1.4.

Now Clark is maintaining that efficiency on a much higher number of shots / much higher "usage rate" than any of those players, and is taking a lot of very difficult shots, that is what's unique about her. But 1.1 is not a good game for her. We did a pretty good job on D last night, can't do much about hitting contested 25-footers.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Off the topic a bit & I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. I know that the ISU women are always in the locker room for the National Anthem, but it wasn't a good look when one team was on the playing floor during the Anthem.

ISU volleyball team is always on the playing floor during the Anthem. I'm sure that there is a reason for the WBB team being in the locker room, but it felt awkward as a fan last night.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
ISU volleyball team is always on the playing floor during the Anthem. I'm sure that there is a reason for the WBB team being in the locker room, but it felt awkward as a fan last night.

Because the anthem for volleyball is immediately before the lineups.

• Informative
Reactions: farm85

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Off the topic a bit & I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. I know that the ISU women are always in the locker room for the National Anthem, but it wasn't a good look when one team was on the playing floor during the Anthem.

I believe that was a Big 12 mandate for all teams that started during the time of players kneeling for the anthem and has since been maintained for basketball.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Nice summary from the UConn WBB message board: "I found it comical how Lobo kept complimenting Clark looking for her teammates but in reality no one could throw the ball into the ocean aside from Martin. This wasn't Clark's best game but she almost single handily got them the win and worked her butt off defensively. A few things to note:

1. Iowa's post game was completely non-existent tonight. Utilizing post players has been a standout feature of Iowa the past decade and they have capable players, though they miss their share of layups. It didn't look like getting posts involved was remotely on the game plan tonight. Not sure what's going on, though Stuelke/Goodman played great defense in the 2nd half.

2. What's up with Kylie Feuerbach? I thought she'd be a bigger contributor this year. I think she has the skills to be a solid player for them but seems buried on the bench. Also got barked at by CC for a couple of defensive mistakes.

3. Audi Crooks looked great. She reminds me of a poor man's Courtney Paris from Oklahoma back in the day. Good touch inside, space eater, great hands and finishing ability. Has a good face up game too and drilled a 3 from the top of the key. As noted, she looks like she is in much better shape than she was in AAU ball. Props to her for working her tail off to be able to log long minutes in a big game.

4. Iowa State's other freshmen really impressed me. Addy Brown is a dynamic player with good size and inside out ability. She's averaging 14/7/5 to start the year which is phenomenal. Bristow too has solid upside, though she didn't shoot well tonight. The third Joens sister is also a starter and playing well. Iowa State quietly has one of the best classes in women's basketball this year."

Attachments

• 1701972308581.gif
    1701972308581.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 15
  • 1701972470961.gif
    1701972470961.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 15
  • 1701972604711.gif
    1701972604711.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 10
  • 1701972604766.gif
    1701972604766.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina

Because having the national anthem for sporting events featuring two teams from the same country is stupid.

• Funny
Reactions: NENick

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Nice summary from the UConn WBB message board: "I found it comical how Lobo kept complimenting Clark looking for her teammates but in reality no one could throw the ball into the ocean aside from Martin. This wasn't Clark's best game but she almost single handily got them the win and worked her butt off defensively. A few things to note:

1. Iowa's post game was completely non-existent tonight. Utilizing post players has been a standout feature of Iowa the past decade and they have capable players, though they miss their share of layups. It didn't look like getting posts involved was remotely on the game plan tonight. Not sure what's going on, though Stuelke/Goodman played great defense in the 2nd half.

2. What's up with Kylie Feuerbach? I thought she'd be a bigger contributor this year. I think she has the skills to be a solid player for them but seems buried on the bench. Also got barked at by CC for a couple of defensive mistakes.

3. Audi Crooks looked great. She reminds me of a poor man's Courtney Paris from Oklahoma back in the day. Good touch inside, space eater, great hands and finishing ability. Has a good face up game too and drilled a 3 from the top of the key. As noted, she looks like she is in much better shape than she was in AAU ball. Props to her for working her tail off to be able to log long minutes in a big game.

4. Iowa State's other freshmen really impressed me. Addy Brown is a dynamic player with good size and inside out ability. She's averaging 14/7/5 to start the year which is phenomenal. Bristow too has solid upside, though she didn't shoot well tonight. The third Joens sister is also a starter and playing well. Iowa State quietly has one of the best classes in women's basketball this year."
These are quite the compliments from a fanbase who knows their WBB.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
If you have not watched the post game on Cyclones.com you should. It was Abby and Audi and when you listen to what they say you have to be very excited about our future. They are so mature and when as has been pointed out we played 5 freshman and of the 10 that played for Iowa 3 sr 1 gr 4 jr and 2 soph.

tried watching and audio wouldn't play. Tested all my audio volume levels and they were fine on my end.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Agreed. I think my point covers that, unless you mean even if the national team is playing another team from the US.

As in national/international/world competition.

Medal ceremonies at World Championships/Olympics.
Pregame for some competitions (World Cup, for example).

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
As in national/international/world competition.

Medal ceremonies at World Championships/Olympics.
Pregame for some competitions (World Cup, for example).
Absolutely. The World Cup pregame ceremony with the National Anthems was awesome to watch last year, so there's definitely a place for the anthems.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Game made the CBS eye opener segment that leads off their morning show, but it made it because of you know who. Puke.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

I didn't even notice it for a second until you brought it up here. Not saying it's right or wrong but 90% of the fans are there to watch a basketball game and not nitpick pregame protocol.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I didn't even notice it for a second until you brought it up here. Not saying it's right or wrong but 90% of the fans are there to watch a basketball game and not nitpick pregame protocol.
I feel like I've seen enough discussion here about things like whether or not Bells of Iowa State should be played before football games, walk-in music choices, lighting in Hilton, and other similar things to the point that sometimes I wonder if people are actually there to watch the game.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
A caller to Miller and Condon hit it on the head about this year's Iowa team. It's alot like her teams at Dowling. She has no trust in her teammates and just goes rouge playing hero ball.
I think I heard the call and the guy was an asst coach at Dowling when she was there. If it is the same call he said that unless they get more people scoring they will be in trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

wbbnut

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Kylie transferred because she wanted to play with her friend #22. When I saw what #22 did to her during the game, it made me wonder... if true, is Kylie still happy she transferred?

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Kylie transferred because she wanted to play with her friend #22. When I saw what #22 did to her during the game, it made me wonder... if true, is Kylie still happy she transferred?
This is like a stake to my heart, as Kylie was my favorite in the Fab Four Class of 2020. I bought the grandfather (and parents) story hook, line & sinker. She was like a young colt out there, bouncing around with energy, making mistakes and driving Fennelly nuts. At the same time, she looked like our future defensive stopper and hit at least one three-point game winner - she had no fear and her future was bright at ISU. But as we know, change is inevitable...

I live in Iowa City and EIU's WBB Graduate Assistant is a close friend of our family. He tells me Kylie isn't really like the other girls, as she tends to curl up with a book or write in her journal. He says she's perpetually upbeat, a beloved member of the team and content to play a role on such a successful squad. So if my guy is to be trusted, the answer is "yes", she's happy with her decision. :(

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron