WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I guess this dead week for WBB ain't that lifeless.

Here's my reaction about Nicki Collen hiring and some information I found.

1) I'm surprised by this hire. Her resume doesn't impress me much (using the Baylor blueblood standard). I thought Molly Miller could be their next young Kim Mulkey based on what I read and heard, or they promote Bill Brock from within.

2) Money really talks. Imagine the WNBA regular season is about to start and you just ditch your team like that? Baylor must have offered the sum she couldn't refuse. The same situation probably would never happen on the MBB side.

3) Imaging how surprised (or to some degree, pissed off) the Atlanta Dream players and fans are right now. That team just played Bridget's Lynx in a pre-season scrimmage on May 1 and everything seems to be on track.

4) There are mixed reactions on Baylor's board tilted towards the negative side. I agree with what our dear friend @geewago said in there. I quote " I'm willing to sit back and watch to see how she turns out. What other choice do I have? But I would suspect the other coaches in the Big 12 just breathed a sigh of relief. "

5) Based on the positive Twitter reactions from NaLyssa Smith and Queen Egbo, those two and more Baylor players are staying. Alabama transfer Jordan Lewis likely remains committed. Collen might be good at keeping the current team intact, how she recruits in the future is a big question mark.

6) According to Baylor's board, Bill Brock is likely to stay and Sytia Messer is leaving for LSU, which makes two of Mulkey's Baylor assistants rejoining her.

7) Her introduction will be held at Baylor on Wednesday. She will not coach in the upcoming WNBA season (no surprise).

8) For ISU, next season is our golden opportunity to compete for the Big12 regular season and tournament championships. I hope our program realizes that and they have our school and fan support to achieve that.

Last edited:
Reactions: geewago

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
When Woj drops a bomb on WBB, it's worth the attention.

Female coaches at the pro level are a hot commodity for college WBB. First, it's Nicki Collen from WNBA, now it's Lindsay Gottlieb from NBA. It'll be interesting to see if she can bring USC WBB back to the old Linda Sharp-Cheryl Miller days. BTW someone is going to pay big $$$ to hire Becky Hammon some day from the Spurs.

Reactions: ISC

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Female coaches at the pro level are a hot commodity for college WBB. First, it's Nicki Collen from WNBA, now it's Lindsay Gottlieb from NBA. It'll be interesting to see if she can bring USC WBB back to the old Linda Sharp-Cheryl Miller days.

She did lead Cal to the Final Four in just her second year at Berkeley, so I would expect Gottlieb to have success at USC as well.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will be interesting to see if the Big 12 can keep with some of the other leagues. Been losing ground over the last decade.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Iowa basketball has been stuck in 70’s style without a shot clock. An inferior team can just milk the clock and completely neutralize an offensive oriented team. Shades of Lute Olsen.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Iowa basketball has been stuck in 70’s style without a shot clock. An inferior team can just milk the clock and completely neutralize an offensive oriented team. Shades of Lute Olsen.

It was painful watching both boys and girls tourney this spring. When both teams score under 40 points because one team is stalling everytime they get the ball it is not fun to watch.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

They have to do something. I can remember games with an 8-10 point differential in the 2nd half essentially being over because there weren't enough possessions left to come back. It's really, really hard to watch.

Reactions: undersized_post

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I suspect she's more interested in becoming the first female NBA head coach than becoming a college coach. At this point it seems inevitable that it'll happen, and NBA head coach positions start at $2M.

She also withdrew from consideration for the Colorado State (her alma mater) men's job and this article also says she turned down the Florida women's job. I agree that she's going to wait for an NBA job, because she'll certainly have a shot at one in the next few years.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/17/becky-hammon-colorado-state-san-antonio-spurs-head-coach/

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and ISC