WBB: Miscellaneous Thread for 2020-21 Season

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Doesn't Fennelly already have a lifetime contract?
It was called that, but wasn't actually a lifetime contract -- it was a 12-year contract signed in 2007 and expiring in 2019. A couple of three-year extensions have been signed since then (in 2017 and 2019), so it currently expires in 2025 until this new extension is announced.

• Informative
Reactions: DSMCy

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Reactions: IsUaClone2

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Meyer, who plays for Ames-based All Iowa Attack, Iowa's premier club team, picked Iowa over Iowa State and South Dakota State. She's the Hawkeyes' first commit for the class of 2019.

I would guess that like Jensen she'll be at a mid-major, maybe Drake or South Dakota.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Feurbach bump her out of minutes?

Kind of a late entry into the portal. Makes me wonder if Iowa is getting another transfer in or is at least after some?

Or maybe it's just they added Fuerbach and also have a top 50 freshman wing/guard (Prospects Nation) in their 2021 class.

Also, seems Iowa is trying to move past an offense built on 5'-8" guards and a post and not underachieve in the years they will have Clark. Bluder's said they need to get more athletic and play better defense. It's out there and stated they are looking for more than a Sweet Sixteen or an Elite Eight.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Kind of a late entry into the portal. Makes me wonder if Iowa is getting another transfer in or is at least after some?

Or maybe it's just they added Fuerbach and also have a top 50 freshman wing/guard (Prospects Nation) in their 2021 class.

Also, seems Iowa is trying to move past an offense built on 5'-8" guards and a post and not underachieve in the years they will have Clark. Bluder's said they need to get more athletic and play better defense. It's out there and stated they are looking for more than a Sweet Sixteen or an Elite Eight.
Bluder has one of the ESPN darlings in Clark. If she is ever going to take her team to the next level taking advantage of an elite player's status, the time is now.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

She's obviously going to have to teach Clark to play defense on more than a few plays a game.

Reactions: kcdc4isu

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames

The contract extension for Auriemma is retroactive from April 2020, and runs through April 2025, and can be extended for two additional one-year periods by mutual agreement.

Auriemma, 67, will receive a base salary of $600,000 per year and additional compensation for speaking, consulting and media obligations of $2.2 million for the 2020-21 season, which increases by $100,000 each year through the term of the contract.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I think this is a good move by the Big12. It's beneficial to coaching, player development and fans who love stat analysis.

6 of the 10 Big12 schools have been using their service, including KU, K-State, OU, OK-State, Baylor and TCU.

ShotTracker is currently being utilized by 63 men’s and women’s college basketball programs spanning 12 conferences.

Last edited:

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Extends her contract through the 2026-27 season. Frese's new six-year contract became effective this month and includes an additional one-year extension for the 2027-28 season.

Frese was named National Coach of the Year by ESPN, the Associated Press and The Athletic after this past season. She is one of just three coaches to be named AP Coach of the Year more than once, joining Geno Auriemma (Connecticut), Kim Mulkey (LSU) and Muffet McGraw (former Notre Dame head coach).

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Good read.

"A lot of these kids are delusional,” Auriemma said. “They have so many voices in their ear."

There’s something wrong with the recruiting system. There’s something wrong with the culture of college basketball today. There’s something wrong with the entitlement that happens to exist today, and there’s something wrong with this idea of student-athlete welfare, that everything should be done to accommodate the student-athlete with no regard whatsoever to the coaches who work their ass off to recruit these kids in the first place, work with them, help them get better, make them the player that they are, and then they up and leave with no consequences whatsoever.

“Tell me it’s every school’s fault, tell me that it’s every school’s responsibility to make every kid happy,” he continued. “Here’s the flip side of that: If we as coaches just call a kid in and say, ‘Look, I thought you’d be a lot better than this, so I’m taking away your scholarship,’ we would get crucified. Yet a kid can just up and leave for no reason whatsoever. Other than ‘I just don’t want to be here anymore, I don’t like it here anymore.’”
He later added that there must be something wrong “on both ends, on the kids and then the coaches” for so many kids to want to leave. He said when he’s looking at transfers, he asks the player, “‘What’s wrong with you?... You’re at a great place, you’re starting, you’re playing a lot of minutes. You seem to be really successful, so there’s got to be something wrong with you [if you want to transfer].’ And then when they answer me, if I like their answer, then I go forward. If I don’t like their answer, then I say I’m not interested.”

Last edited:
Reactions: kcdc4isu

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Good read.

"A lot of these kids are delusional,” Auriemma said. “They have so many voices in their ear."

There’s something wrong with the recruiting system. There’s something wrong with the culture of college basketball today. There’s something wrong with the entitlement that happens to exist today, and there’s something wrong with this idea of student-athlete welfare, that everything should be done to accommodate the student-athlete with no regard whatsoever to the coaches who work their ass off to recruit these kids in the first place, work with them, help them get better, make them the player that they are, and then they up and leave with no consequences whatsoever.

“Tell me it’s every school’s fault, tell me that it’s every school’s responsibility to make every kid happy,” he continued. “Here’s the flip side of that: If we as coaches just call a kid in and say, ‘Look, I thought you’d be a lot better than this, so I’m taking away your scholarship,’ we would get crucified. Yet a kid can just up and leave for no reason whatsoever. Other than ‘I just don’t want to be here anymore, I don’t like it here anymore.’”
He later added that there must be something wrong “on both ends, on the kids and then the coaches” for so many kids to want to leave. He said when he’s looking at transfers, he asks the player, “‘What’s wrong with you?... You’re at a great place, you’re starting, you’re playing a lot of minutes. You seem to be really successful, so there’s got to be something wrong with you [if you want to transfer].’ And then when they answer me, if I like their answer, then I go forward. If I don’t like their answer, then I say I’m not interested.”

well said. so many…including lots on this site…want to blame the coaches. Folks that doesn’t always fly.p as Coach A points out.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames

Good read.

I think this is well said.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
well said. so many…including lots on this site…want to blame the coaches. Folks that doesn’t always fly.p as Coach A points out.

Coach A made some very good points. One issue I see is many players look at two things,1. play on a team that wins championships consistently (UCONN, Baylor etc) 2. want to play majority of minutes. This can be a problem with a team with a number of good players as you only have (most of the time) 200 minutes of playing time a game. If you played 10 players that would be 20 min per player but we all know some will play more than that so a few are getting less. Then family or former coaches get in their heads and into the pool they go.