We Will Collective contributor numbers

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
We need an honest, grassroots effort for this fanbase and we need to get clever to incentivize donations. We have thousands of very passionate fans, but most fans don't have deep pockets right now to donate without getting something in return.

The Beer and Coffee was a great idea. The fanbase doesn't view it as an inconvenience or a chore for the collective. It's a change in habit, but we feel it is a fair trade (because the beer is good).

Some ideas:

1. Charters. Something to try would be to put together charters and weekend trips for the away football and basketball games. I'm all for a great experience and if the hard work is done for me, I'll gladly pay for it.

2. Capitalize on wins. The vibes were HIGH after the Cincinnati game. That is the perfect time to rake in cash, when people feel good about themselves and when they want to keep the good times rolling. Get a high profile donor to match like after the Baylor basketball game; giving fans a limited time and a goal will force them to donate.

3. Wing Stop. Partner with Seneca Wallace's Wing Stops with proceeds going to the collective.

4. Focus on what we can accomplish, not what others are doing. We get it; We aren't Texas A&M. Some fans have felt discouraged from donating because "What's the point? We'll never be them so why even try."
These are all great ideas and we are already planning a bowl charter and a few more branded partnerships that should be released soon (including a frozen pizza) .

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Wisconsin NIL offers some valuable (IMO) incentives to its members

• exclusive podcast (something CF itself could capitalize on)
  • VIP tailgate
  • 15% discount at bookstore

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
@brentblum does the collective help connect athletes with branding/marketing opportunities? I will admit I have a very poor opinion of giving athletes money in connection with having them go out and do charity appearances. Stuff like the Pork Producers stint is exactly what NIL should allow.
Yes, this is the other side of what we do. We've set up dozens of NIL opportunities with companies and Iowa State athletes. It also has a great impact. Also may be an Iowa Pork sequel upcoming. :cool:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Is the beer not making money for the players?
It does but I doubt WeWill is getting much more than a couple of dollars per pack sold. So you spent $12ish and they may only optimistically get $4. So yeah you are getting a good beer out of and helping Cyclones BUT if the goal is to raise funds for WeWill and the athletes then it is not an efficient use of your funds. The Beer, Coffee etc. should be viewed as add-on donations not your base support.

Reactions: CrossCyed

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames

Wisconsin NIL offers some valuable (IMO) incentives to its members

• exclusive podcast (something CF itself could capitalize on)
  • VIP tailgate
  • 15% discount at bookstore
VIP tailgate would be great if it was in a good spot. We Will Bar and Grill and beer garden at the new entertainment district would be even better.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Our monthly donations are credit card only for now. We can also do old school checks!
Is the credit card automatic recurring? Or do we have to make the charge every month on our own?

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
These are all great ideas and we are already planning a bowl charter and a few more branded partnerships that should be released soon (including a frozen pizza) .
If you folks offer a bowl game trip, can an option be available that doesn't include airfare for folks not in central Iowa? I've always wanted to go on one of the CF trips, but it's hard to justify flying into DSM first just to join it.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
The AD could do something where when you buy season tickets you are offered the opportunity to add a donation to the collective at checkout. Somehow capture those folks there. We are a cheap fanbase but now is the time to change that, it feels like a now or never situation, either the fanbase ponies up and decides to take Iowa State to the next level or we get relegated to the MAC in 10 years when re-alignment happens again.
I mean we can't let K State beat us on the donation front, that's just sad.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
The AD could do something where when you buy season tickets you are offered the opportunity to add a donation to the collective at checkout. Somehow capture those folks there. We are a cheap fanbase but now is the time to change that, it feels like a now or never situation, either the fanbase ponies up and decides to take Iowa State to the next level or we get relegated to the MAC in 10 years when re-alignment happens again.
I mean we can't let K State beat us on the donation front, that's just sad.

If/when this sort of collaboration is allowed, how about an optional add-on We Will donation for some tiered benefits at Jack Trice / Hilton? Proceeds could be split between the AD and We Will.

Some options:
- "Fast Pass" entry lane
- Early tailgating lot access
- Seat backs
- Dedicated EV lot with charging

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
The ISU alumni association just sent me an offer for a ISU credit card, a credit card like that where x% of all purchases is donated to WeWill would make it easy.

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
@brentblum does the collective help connect athletes with branding/marketing opportunities? I will admit I have a very poor opinion of giving athletes money in connection with having them go out and do charity appearances. Stuff like the Pork Producers stint is exactly what NIL should allow.
I've also wondered this. Similarly can the collective help connect students with social media managers(for lack of a better term) or bring in someone to provide training on how to optimize social media interactions/engagement that can be monetized?

I feel like a lot of the student athletes are overlooking just how much money they can make on social media endorsements if they grow their following to a point where brands will want them to promote. This is also a place where fans can easily help too. Even if you aren't a huge social media user, go follow all of our athletes so their accounts can become more attractive to brands looking to advertise.

Reactions: brentblum

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I've also wondered this. Similarly can the collective help connect students with social media managers(for lack of a better term) or bring in someone to provide training on how to optimize social media interactions/engagement that can be monetized?

I feel like a lot of the student athletes are overlooking just how much money they can make on social media endorsements if they grow their following to a point where brands will want them to promote. This is also a place where fans can easily help too. Even if you aren't a huge social media user, go follow all of our athletes so their accounts can become more attractive to brands looking to advertise.
Brent probably knows a lot more, but what I've heard about what the NCAA is considering "allowing" would basically drop any limits to what the school can do. Specifically, they've talked about the schools be able to educate, bring in sponsors, helps in marketing of the athletes, etc.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
The ISU alumni association just sent me an offer for a ISU credit card, a credit card like that where x% of all purchases is donated to WeWill would make it easy.
I agree. I suggested this last year and stand by it being a great option for fans.

I would use it as my business expense credit card. I rack up $10,000's between plant supplies and business travel.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
I agree. I suggested this last year and stand by it being a great option for fans.

I would use it as my business expense credit card. I rack up $10,000's between plant supplies and business travel.

Speaking of Credit Cards, Admittedly,I’m not fully aware of the processing charges and impacts on this type of an execution but still believe a “Round Up” option at concession stands could create a decent bump.

Reactions: CyPunch

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Speaking of Credit Cards, Admittedly,I’m not fully aware of the processing charges and impacts on this type of an execution but still believe a “Round Up” option at concession stands could create a decent bump.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ClonerJams