We Will Collective contributor numbers

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Hey all,

Have seen some questions about where We Will stands on a couple of different topics as it relates to our peers. Note that it is very difficult to find exact data on these because collectives aren't obligated to share info and most won't for competitive reasons, but based on what I can tell this is where things stand.

The largest collectives have an annual budget of $10M plus. We aren't anywhere near that at the moment. We are staying afloat for now, but need everyone's help to compete with our peers who are at the $4-6M level, which is where the majority of the Big 12 lives. We don't have a huge marketing budget because we want to use as many resources as possible for the Cyclones, so word of mouth is the single best way to share. We have 800 monthly contributors as of this second giving $10 or more per month. I really would love to get that number to 2,000 by the time the portal opens. We will need it. Please tell your Cyclone colleagues and friends. You may not think the beer, coffee, golf balls, merch and everything else adds up, but it really does to make Iowa State competitive. Go to www.wewillcollective.com to learn more and if you have individual questions reach out at [email protected]. Thanks all!

-Brent

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
How far away is We Will from the $4-6M mark? What demographic helps other collectives get to that level that is failing to contribute to ISU, or is our fanbase just that much smaller in number?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How far away is We Will from the $4-6M mark? What demographic helps other collectives get to that level that is failing to contribute to ISU, or is our fanbase just that much smaller in number?
We aren't smaller in number we are cheap and uncultivated. Look at what the donations to the AD has been over the years compared to others. They announced 17MM this year to cyclone club, which is great for us, very good; but not close to our peers. We haven't had the pressure back in the 80s -00s to up our donations until JP came and he has done what he can to build it. ISU has the second largest alumni association in the big XII (before the 4 new comers this year, I don't know how they stand) but yet we were last in donations.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
@brentblum Keep fighting the good fight. While I think all of us hate the trickle down effect of all the costs associated with things like this, it's the reality we live in and complaining doesn't do any good.

Your efforts and transparency are greatly valued and immensely helpful to the cause here at Iowa State, which I think we can all agree is a very steep uphill climb. You handle the pressure well, even in spite of people taking their anger of the process/need out on you.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Brent, are you allowed access to season ticket holder lists? Seems like direct reach out to this population is where opportunity lies. 10s of thousands of unique family season ticket holders vs "hundreds" of monthly contributors.
There is NCAA consideration right now of allowing a lot more collaboration between the schools and collectives. In my opinion, these would greatly help a school like Iowa State with awareness and promotion opportunities.

Reactions: RagingCloner

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Hey all,

Have seen some questions about where We Will stands on a couple of different topics as it relates to our peers. Note that it is very difficult to find exact data on these because collectives aren't obligated to share info and most won't for competitive reasons, but based on what I can tell this is where things stand.

The largest collectives have an annual budget of $10M plus. We aren't anywhere near that at the moment. We are staying afloat for now, but need everyone's help to compete with our peers who are at the $4-6M level, which is where the majority of the Big 12 lives. We don't have a huge marketing budget because we want to use as many resources as possible for the Cyclones, so word of mouth is the single best way to share. We have 800 monthly contributors as of this second giving $10 or more per month. I really would love to get that number to 2,000 by the time the portal opens. We will need it. Please tell your Cyclone colleagues and friends. You may not think the beer, coffee, golf balls, merch and everything else adds up, but it really does to make Iowa State competitive. Go to www.wewillcollective.com to learn more and if you have individual questions reach out at [email protected]. Thanks all!

-Brent

I will triple my Ames Lager intake immediately.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Hey all,

-Brent
i know this is a tired take but the athletic department really could offer WeWill a huge assist with beer sales in Jack Trice and Hilton.

I noticed in all the cool pics of ISU fans at Nippert Stadium this weekend that many had cans of their NIL beer.

I also struggle to understand why ISU approved trademarking for 2 other ISU beers that don't benefit our collective in any way

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
There is NCAA consideration right now of allowing a lot more collaboration between the schools and collectives. In my opinion, these would greatly help a school like Iowa State with awareness and promotion opportunities.
Jeremy is correct. We are taking Iowa State's lead on the data sharing conversation. Clearly we would love access to this, but also are respectful of the rules and sensitivity. Iowa State has been nothing but great in working with us. We're all trying to figure this out together.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
i know this is a tired take but the athletic department really could offer WeWill a huge assist with beer sales in Jack Trice and Hilton.

I noticed in all the cool pics of ISU fans at Nippert Stadium this weekend that many had cans of their NIL beer.

I also struggle to understand why ISU approved trademarking for 2 other ISU beers that don't benefit our collective in any way
It benefits ISU athletics which regardless of what everyone thinks of NIL collectives our athletic budget also is not the size of many of our peers. It was a creative way to generate some more revenue for the athletics department and don't think that they too aren't feeling the pinch in dollars as probably some donation money has been shifted to the collective. I don't view it as the AD and the collective are in direct competition for dollars raised but the reality is they kind of indirectly are because you can only squeeze so much out of your fan base until you hit their limit on just how much they are willing to give or pay for tickets, etc.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I'll sign up for monthly donations, @brentblum :(
I've only done a couple 100 dollar donations so far.

Brent mentioned the benefit of more monthly donors is we can budget accordingly going forward. That's why it would be huge to increase our number of monthly donors in the next 6 weeks before football portal season opens.

The more blunt way of saying this - we can promise more $ to the players.

We project as a really good football team next year if we are able to keep our young talent. Rocco, Eli Sanders, Cartevious Norton, Abu Sama, Ben Brahmer, Jaylin Noel, Beau Freyler, Jeremiah Cooper, Malik Verdon, Myles Purchase, Tyler Onyedim, Dom Orange, Ikenna Ezeogu. All returners we need to keep.

Last edited:

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Point blank: It won’t hit home for some until we lose someone that shocks us. Like I’m talking someone who goes and starts for a major program and ends up on the NFL draft stage on night 1 with another school’s name next to his.

Brent’s team worked wonders last year to keep the main guys in the fold. Every dollar counts. I’m signing up for a monthly donation today.