We Will Collective contributor numbers

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I think Brent is doing a fine job, too. He is working with the same base as JP and it's well documented that ISU really struggles from donation aspect. I have seen numerous snapshots of ISU and lack of donations, but below is one that is a older but basically sums up the gap,

View attachment 127308
KSU, for example, with a smaller enrollment and alumni base generates almost 50% more in donations. We need to grow the donating fan base. Too many casuals relying on an ever-pressured small set of donors.

• Winner
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
why is it crazy to think the guy worth $2 billion cant donate $2m a year to ISU NIL?
Why is it crazy to think we don’t need more grass-roots support too? Based on a poll I did here, a large percentage of Cyclone Fanatics don’t support the AD financially. Can you imagine what it is among the broader alumni base? It feels like some are waiting for a big donor to take care of it...it going to take all of us.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
KSU, for example, with a smaller enrollment and alumni base generates almost 50% more in donations. We need to grow the donating fan base. Too many casuals relying on an ever-pressured small set of donors.
Since Snyder's arrival in '89 Kansas State's been to 24 bowl games and won 3 conference titles. Over that same span they made the tournament 13 times, with 3 Elite 8s in there. People are willing to spend entertainment dollars on things that are entertaining (like, successful sports programs)

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Why is it crazy to think we don’t need more grass-roots support too? Based on a poll I did here, a large percentage of Cyclone Fanatics don’t support the AD financially. Can you imagine what it is among the broader alumni base? It feels like some are waiting for a big donor to take care of it...it going to take all of us.
im guessing most collectives are buoyed by a smaller % of wealthy donors

1712953181797.png

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
This isn't aimed at just you, but I get tired of people knocking how much money Iowa State fans donate to athletics.

For the 22-23 year per Sportico' s College financial summary

Iowa State had about $116 million of total revenue for athletics, with over $29 million from donations.

Kansas State had a just over $102 million of revenue and donations around $25 million.

If you are going to pitch the old thesis that Iowa State does a terrible job raising donations, please use something more current. I think it has almost 10 years since our donation levels were $12 million. These numbers don't even count the donations for the facilities.

Over half of the $90 million Stark building came from private donations as an example.

Bloom has indicated that over 6,000 fans have given some gift to We Will. That number is pretty close to the number of donors to the National Cyclone Club.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
im guessing most collectives are buoyed by a smaller % of wealthy donors

View attachment 127393
The total number of ISU CC donors and donations, near the bottom of P5 historically, suggests we have an 80% issue too, that’s my point. 80% need to do more, especially since one of the excuses is lack of 20%.

Last edited:

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
This isn't aimed at just you, but I get tired of people knocking how much money Iowa State fans donate to athletics.

Iowa State had about $116 million of total revenue for athletics, with over $29 million from donations.

Kansas State had a just over $102 million of revenue and donations around $25 million.

If you are going to pitch the old thesis that Iowa State does a terrible job raising donations, please use something more current. I think it has almost 10 years since our donation levels were $12 million. These numbers don't even count the donations for the facilities.

Over half of the $90 million Stark building came from private donations as an example.

Bloom has indicated that over 6,000 fans have given some gift to We Will. That number is pretty close to the number of donors to the National Cyclone Club.
Thanks for sharing this, I didn’t realize what was shared earlier was so dated. I am a CC member, FB season (out of state) ticket holder, and donate regularly to We Will. Not to mention, donate to the ISU Foundation and have two kids at ISU. This isn’t a flex, as some will claim, but context. I, personally, am starting to feel the pinch; so there was definitely emotion to my responses. No big donors are coming to save the day, we have to do it ourselves and I‘ve reached my ceiling.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
As the guy who brought up the Albaugh connection - I wasn't assuming he bankrolls our collective, genius. My specific wording was "It's not crazy to think he could pony up a couple million a year". That doesn't mean I think he DOES give a couple million a year..

He invited TJ to the f'ing Kentucky Derby, to assume he donates nothing to the Basketball program/players is moronic. WHETHER THAT'S THROUGH WEWILL OR NOT - do you understand that players can be paid via methods outside of WeWill??

Solar keeps claiming things like he knows them as fact, when in actuality he does not.
He's not the only one. Welcome to CF.

Reactions: Tailg8er

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020

Cool website. Thanks for sharing.

That is great news if these numbers reflect a run rate. I would have to see if there were any one-time larger donations in that $29 million. Also, the 5 year old numbers that I have seen show we were last in the number of donors and near last in dollars received.

The key number is what percent of our alums give to athletics? As of 5 years ago (??) we were dead last. Wierd, I know, but we were. If we had a similar percent as our peers, the dollars would explode.

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
I'm sure they wouldn't do this because no one else does, but I'd be interested to know where the donations go. It's not a question of trust (I think Niang is on the board iirc?) rather a question of what are the results of the donations? Not the cliche "supporting student-athletes" or "making Iowa State competitive" but actual numbers. $X went to football players, $Y went to mens basketball, etc.

We know what JP is paid and we know what CMC is paid but the organization that directly asks for money doesn't provide anything like this.

All the entities our family donates to provide at least an annual financial synopsis.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Charities have to list the top salaries. These NIL's will not list their "donees."

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
Charities have to list the top salaries. These NIL's will not list their "donees."
I'm not sure where you donate to, but every fund/foundation we've given to tells us who/what the recipients of their grants are.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
I'm not sure where you donate to, but every fund/foundation we've given to tells us who/what the recipients of their grants are.
But to disclose that puts ISU at a competitive disadvantage if no one else is obligated to.

Why disclose how much Curtis Jones was given. Or Abu Sama. Even to say the the MBB was $X million... there's only so many guys, how hard would it be to figure out roughly who's getting what. Even easier when competition can evaluate year-over-year changes.

And then there's the team chemistry piece... suppose someone is jealous that someone else is getting a bigger bag?

IMHO, It's just not feasible to share the info without consequences.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But to disclose that puts ISU at a competitive disadvantage if no one else is obligated to.

Why disclose how much Curtis Jones was given. Or Abu Sama. Even to say the the MBB was $X million... there's only so many guys, how hard would it be to figure out roughly who's getting what. Even easier when competition can evaluate year-over-year changes.

And then there's the team chemistry piece... suppose someone is jealous that someone else is getting a bigger bag?

IMHO, It's just not feasible to share the info without consequences.
Yeah, sharing this would be a good way to create a major sheetshow.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
U are talking about united way,etc. Nils are not giving grants to people; they are giving cash to people for charitable work and reporting these payments to the government as 1099 payments. The recipients have to pay all state and federal taxes on these funds received.

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
U are talking about united way,etc. Nils are not giving grants to people; they are giving cash to people for charitable work and reporting these payments to the government as 1099 payments. The recipients have to pay all state and federal taxes on these funds received.

So a salary. A wage.

Why should I pay a private entity to pay someone? Their employer should pay them...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So a salary. A wage.

Why should I pay a private entity to pay someone? Their employer should pay them...
That is what We Will is doing. Hiring the players to do these functions. Not sure how you are struggling to understand this.

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
That is what We Will is doing. Hiring the players to do these functions. Not sure how you are struggling to understand this.
I know exactly what they do. If I give to the AD I know how much building projects costs and how much coaches get paid. I know where my money goes.

And if we don't donate we still buy tickets and merch. With a collective, as a private entity, they're paying athletes but rely on donations to do so.

Again, I know exactly what's going on. I'm simply saying peel back the layers of it and at its core it's a private entity relying on other people's money to pay a salary to their "employees". It's a middleman.