We Will Collective contributor numbers

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
The NBA has a salary cap and a draft. Neither of those exist in college. Therefore we have been asked by the coaching staffs to not share publicly as it would put a number visible at which all of our athletes could be out-bid for if we share publicly. It’s as simple as that.
what is the total number needed in the coffers each year for isu to be competitive with their peers ?

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
what is the total number needed in the coffers each year for isu to be competitive with their peers ?
Well it’s impossible to know for sure but around $6 million would be middle of pack for power 5 schools at this point. Basketball is extra difficult because schools like Nova, Creighton, Georgetown are throwing out $3-4 million just for basketball. Kansas is double that.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Well it’s impossible to know for sure but around $6 million would be middle of pack for power 5 schools at this point. Basketball is extra difficult because schools like Nova, Creighton, Georgetown are throwing out $3-4 million just for basketball. Kansas is double that.
And we’re at 4 budgeted for this year, correct?

Reactions: brentblum

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
“NIL isn’t pay to play”.

Beg for money bc we didn’t get a transfer
Huh, have you been under a rock this past year? It’s always been pay for play.
Only a little bit of it is advertising dollars or actually NIL.
Eventually the school will pay the players, we just have to make sure we’re viable until then.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I wish NIL would go all in for basketball. I like football more but it seems like we have a legit shot at something special in basketball. Get the guys we need and the rest goes to football. Just my opinion
I’ve definitely had these thoughts lately.
I actually enjoy basketball more. I have a monthly donation, so I don’t think I’ve designated where I want it to go. Just gets spread out

Reactions: Drew0311

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Nobody likes it gerbs. We’re doing all we can. You can’t solve a financial problem without finances. So we have to ask for money to function.
Sorry maybe “beg for money” wasn’t the right way to phrase it. But this era of college athletics isn’t sustainable imo. No way asking fans to donate every year for one years worth of a player will be able to continue year after year. Especially when the universities are getting hundreds of millions of dollars. I don’t see how fans will continue to want to do this every season especially since how much a player will garner will continue to grow each year.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I drank so much Ames Lager that I had to go to AA and lost my job and friends. And now the Hadley news... *Cracks open another Ames Lager*
Pre hear the oven for a WeWill pizza once the buzz hits

Reactions: CyArob

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Sorry maybe “beg for money” wasn’t the right way to phrase it. But this era of college athletics isn’t sustainable imo. No way asking fans to donate every year for one years worth of a player will be able to continue year after year. Especially when the universities are getting hundreds of millions of dollars. I don’t see how fans will continue to want to do this every season especially since how much a player will garner will continue to grow each year.
Athletic departments asked for more money every year as donations and it kept going, don't see why this would be any different.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Athletic departments asked for more money every year as donations and it kept going, don't see why this would be any different.
The thought this goes away is I think unlikely. They have a donor base now. Whether the collectives fold into the AD or something else happens, when players are getting paid by the AD they will still need the money. It ain’t coming from the TV money.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I wish NIL would go all in for basketball. I like football more but it seems like we have a legit shot at something special in basketball. Get the guys we need and the rest goes to football. Just my opinion
Ya great idea so we can be UConn and have a football program that gets annihilated every week and have to go independent because no one wants you. Great idea!

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Because we are fans and love our teams.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Ya great idea so we can be UConn and have a football program that gets annihilated every week and have to go independent because no one wants you. Great idea!
They can designate to basketball and you can still designate to the football team.