Well, it's finally over

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
I am sorry the Hawks lost, but glad South Carolina won. It was a great game to watch. I think the Hawks have some really nice kids on that team, like Stuelke and Martin; don't have as good a feel for some of the others, but it's hard for me to hate them and I'm as fervent a Cyclone fan as there is. I don't like Clark's antics sometimes, but I admire her as a baller. I can't imagine the pressure on her this year, and especially this tournament. It seemed the last two games, coaches were starting to figure out how to defend against Clark, but UConn didn't have enough bench to pull it off. It was classy of Bluder to put Davis and the other girl on the floor at the end of the game, but I still cannot understand her late game antics in other games, like putting Clark on the floor with a few minutes left and they're up a ton, or even in this game, the full court press at the end of the game when the game was it clearly out of reach. I think she is a great coach, from a recruiting perspective and from an X and O perspective, but some of this stuff makes no sense to me.

As for South Carolina, I have to say I really, really like Dawn Staley; and it is clear that her players love and respect her. I was amazed how the two freshman came out and in some respects did what needed to be done under the bright light of national television and performed lights out. The Gamecocks dominated the boards like I have rarely seen at this level - 49 to 25, and after last year, they fixed the long-ball issue out-shooting the Hawks 42% to 39% - and when you are up against Clark, Martin and Marshall, that is quite an accomplishment. They were full value for this victory.

Finally, I have to agree with some that offociating in the women's game has got to improve, to catch up to the quality of play on the floor. It is inconsistent and leaves a lot to be desired. I hope the NCAA is doing something about it. If they really want to grow the game, officiating must get better.

See you next season. Go 'Clones.

Last edited:

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Add to that the fact that CC is insufferable to watch with the constant complaining, and exhibits terrible sportsmanship on a regular basis.

She's the player that everyone loathed during park district type games when she was young.

I'm sure the other players and their parents found her and her obnoxious parents just as insufferable back then.
I think you will start to hear stories leak out about what her own teammates really thought about her and what a diva she is now that it's over.

• Agree
Reactions: Klubber and aauummm

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I'm not gonna read this whole thread. Haven't been paying attention, except for the last week or two. I've got nothing against Clarke. She accomplished a lot, and is OK in my book. Period.

Too bad she chose the Hawks, but such is life. Just remember that her brother was a Cyclone, and we all loved him. It's not that hard.
This. Great player. Had to cheer agains her and her team since she played for the hawks, but that’s life, nothing personal. Like you said her brother is one of us!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
What would make anyone think that a successful coach who has won 3 national championships was uneducated? No one is accusing Bluder of being uneducated or Fennelly or TJ. What's the difference?
Not to mention she has a degree from the University of Virginia - one of the best schools in the country.

Reactions: NATEizKING

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Like they weren't saying it but were basically saying it.
Honestly though I wouldn't call it a dog whistle. It's pretty obviously racist. She doesn't sound uneducated, she just doesn't sound like a mid-west white person.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I am sorry the Hawks lost, but glad South Carolina won. It was a great game to watch. I think the Hawks have some really nice kids on that team, like Stuelke and Martin; don't have as good a feel for some of the others, but it's hard for me to hate them and I'm as fervent a Cyclone fan as there is. I don't like Clark's antics sometimes, but I admire her as a baller. I can't imagine the pressure on her this year, and especially this tournament. It seemed the last two games, coaches were starting to figure out how to defend against Clark, but UConn didn't have enough bench to pull it off. It was classy of Bluder to put Davis and the other girl on the floor at the end of the game, but I still cannot understand her late game antics, like putting Clark on the floor with a few minutes left and they're up a ton, or even in this game, the full court press at the end of the gamer when the game was it clearly out of reach. I think she is a great coach, from a recruiting perspective and from an X and O perspective, but some of this stuff makes no sense to me.

As for South Carolina, I have to say I really, really like Dawn Staley; and it is clear that her players love and respect her. I was amazed how the two freshman came out and in some respects did what needed to be done under the bright light of national television and performed lights out. The Gamecocks dominated the boards like I have rarely seen at this level - 49 to 25, and after last year, they fixed the long-ball issue out-shooting the Hawks 42% to 39% - and when you are up against Clark, Martin and Marshall, that is quite an accomplishment. They were full value for this victory.

Finally, I have to agree with some that offociating in the women's game has got to improve, to catch up to the quality of play on the floor. It is inconsistent and leaves a lot to be desired. I hope the NCAA is doing something about it. If they really want to grow the game, officiating must get better.

See you next season. Go 'Clones.
Martin, Stuelke and Affolter are terrific players and easy to root for. I usually like the players on Iowas teams just fine, it’s their fans and coaches that I can’t stand. There are a few players that bug me, and it isn’t that they are good, or that they are “competitors” or “trash talkers.” It’s the ultra dooshers like CC, CMac.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I understand others might not feel the same way, but I find this line of thinking pretty sexist. I've had a few Hawkeye fans talk about how much Clark has grown the game and then also say that I should root for Iowa WBB cause it's "good for the state" and it's "just women's basketball". You can't say (I know you didn't) she's growing the game while also saying it's just women's basketball.

I refuse to cheer for Iowa in any sport for any gender and that'll never change. The only sport I don't completely root against Iowa for is baseball since ISU doesn't have a baseball team. But Iowa succeeding in anything does absolutely nothing to help my favorite team, so yes, I was very happy when they lost today
Yah like their ANF. A made up ploy from a non ag school. Clever marketing.

• Agree
Reactions: CyNews and aauummm

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't hate the state, I hate my rivals. That's literally what most rivals do. You are the exception in this case, not the norm. Rivals hate each other and root against each other.

Do you think Bama fans root for Auburn because SEC? Do you think Texas A&M fans root for Texas to do anything but fail?

Rivalries are supposed to involve emotions, that is the whole basis for them existing.

Iowa doing good, does literally nothing good for Iowa State. It gives them attention, it gives them young fans that hadn't yet decided right or left, it helps them in recruiting, it helps them in in-state recruiting, it helps them in NIL funding. The list goes on. Not a single one of those things helps Iowa State.

I care about ISU.
Need the bolded paragraph on a billboard

Reactions: Jer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Martin, Stuelke and Affolter are terrific players and easy to root for. I usually like the players on Iowas teams just fine, it’s their fans and coaches that I can’t stand. There are a few players that bug me, and it isn’t that they are good, or that they are “competitors” or “trash talkers.” It’s the ultra dooshers like CC, CMac.

I still like seeing when they lose because of growing up in peak Haydenism but their football players generally don't have much riff raff and play tough fundamentally football which is at least respectable.

• Agree
Reactions: CyNews and BigCyFan

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The only bad look for our fanbase is those who were cheering for an instate rival to win a National Championship.

I mean what the **** people!!!!!!!!!!!

Continue to be impressed by the depth of your anti-Hok-ness! :nil:

Reactions: isufbcurt

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
The only bad look for our fanbase is those who were cheering for an instate rival to win a National Championship.

I mean what the **** people!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS times a zillion.
WTH is with people who want the Fuc*eyes to do well in any sport. If you truly support ISU ... then hope they burn at the stake.
It's a sports rivalry folks. We don't hope their players fail at life. It's not about that.
But ANYTIME they do well, it works against ISU athletics.

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is this a dog whistle? What does this mean? You can’t answer my question so just throw out catchy phrases like this. Well done.

Why would anyone say that an accomplished coach was not intelligent?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron