Well, it's finally over

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Remember earlier this year when the H***eyes were trying to cast themselves as "Des Moines' Hometown Team"?

Iowa is the third-most popular NCAA team in DM and it's not close. They are maybe the 5th-most popular team in DM across all sports and divisions and that's pushing it.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Insufferable John Sears on Sound Off tonight. Hok circle jerk with Andy and the guy filling in for Keith. Andy throws shade at Cyclone fans for not supporting Iowa. Clown. That’s what’s bugging me.
I'm kind of surprised that JP even agrees to go on their show anymore after the last 6 months. I used to like Murph and Andy too but they've alienated a large portion of the Cyclone fanbase. I think they've lost touch with reality that central Iowa is becoming more and more cardinal and gold than ever before.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
ESPN still carrying the torch. Top of their app is not about SC winning. It’s their coach saying something about Clark.

Another prime example of why so many want this to be over. Clark and the Hawks lose and the media is still focused on her.

Leave it to the “worldwide leader” to show up the team who just won a championship.

I was saying the same thing immediately after the game. Instead of showing reactions of the winning team, it was one camera following Clark thru the handshake line and off the court.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Of course it’s not all her, but she’s the largest part, no doubt. I mean the Las Vegas WNBA team literally is changing the arena when they play indiana. It’s not due to the Carolina gal that was rookie of the year.

It’s ok to admit she drove much of the ratings. It’s also ok to root for Carolina today. It’s pretty impressive that a gal from Des Moines did that, regardless of how she acts sometimes. ( and to her credit, she toned it down quite a bit this weekend).
One weekend doesn’t change 4 years of on court behavior that was on par for a grade school student. It’s a shame it took her dad yelling at her on national tv for her to change her behavior. But I’m glad she composed herself very well this past weekend. It would be easier to cheer for her if she had acted that way the prior 4 years. Which is why it’s much easier to cheer for a girl like Audi. Just happy, smiling, and supporting teammates all the time. Just a genuine great person and a fantastic athlete. Now that CC’s done with Iowa, let’s appreciate the next three years we have Audi

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
One weekend doesn’t change 4 years of on court behavior that was on par for a grade school student. It’s a shame it took her dad yelling at her on national tv for her to change her behavior. But I’m glad she composed herself very well this past weekend. It would be easier to cheer for her if she had acted that way the prior 4 years. Which is why it’s much easier to cheer for a girl like Audi. Just happy, smiling, and supporting teammates all the time. Just a genuine great person and a fantastic athlete. Now that CC’s done with Iowa, let’s appreciate the next three years we have Audi

I’m sure Murph and Andy will give her the same level of support that they gave Clark.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Insufferable John Sears on Sound Off tonight. Hok circle jerk with Andy and the guy filling in for Keith. Andy throws shade at Cyclone fans for not supporting Iowa. Clown. That’s what’s bugging me.
Friends, Murph is currently on suicide watch. Cyclone nation needs to hold him up during this intense period of grief. Send him a sympathy card to share your thoughts and prayers. Ease his pain.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That's what I said though. None of this is jealousy. It's just facts that Clark is not the sole reason for WBB's growth.

2022 - Final Four averaged 3.5M viewers, which was a record at the time

2024 - Iowa vs. UConn averaged 14M, South Carolina vs. NC State averaged 7M

I'm not disputing that Clark has played a huge role in all of this. But it's fantasy to think this is all her doing. (Unfortunately some central and eastern Iowa media seem to feed that fantasy.)
It’s mostly Clark, which then gave the networks the idea to use the NBA model and go all in on marketing the stars.

Final fours had been 1.5-3m for years. In 2022 Iowa wasn’t in but Clark had helped generate some more interest. Now this year the numbers are bananas.

it’s almost entirely Clark. Now the environment matters. With NIL she’s everywhere, and she pushed the game to the tipping point that networks saw they could put her games on major network and time slots, and it snowballed from there. I do think if Turausi and Bird came up in this game exact period there would’ve been a big boost as well, but not like this. The difference then was those teams were so dominant and loaded that championships were more or less a foregone conclusion. The added parity has helped.

But pre-Clark the game growing modestly at best. I think the Bueckers and Clark first year got the ball rolling, but it was mostly Clark after that.

I’ve explained why I don’t like her, but trying to pretend she isn’t pretty much the entire reason for the ratings is denial.

We will see a dip next year but hopefully it set a much higher floor on interest and viewership.

Help Support Us

Become a patron