Well, it's finally over

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Wow... that's a blatant push off. I assume that was a foul, correct? Was it called?
What is typical is nothing was called but late in the game a SC guard put two hands on an Iowa player and it was called and Rebeca Lobo doing the color said that is a foul (which it is ) and it has been called that way the whole game. Guess she missed the early push, no wait she said it was a push off.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
A few things to add:

First, remember that last year was the first year of the championship (not sure if semis were) being on OTA networks. That gives it a huge bump right there.

For the women's game to get carry through, you will need companies like State Farm and such to find a new media darling to carry the water. The WNBA plays during the summer, That is the worst time for viewership, people in the northern half want to get out and do things when there isn't snow on the ground and those regions are the bigger basketball supporters. So, if companies don't find the right college player to take CC place and pump her up also, then you will see a good drawback from viewership.

They are also measuring ratings differently now. They got rid of Nielsen and now count bars and streaming services.

WCBB will get more and more viewers as there is more parity. For so long, a couple teams dominated and the rest didn’t look like they even played the same game. The tournament went full chalk most of the way through. This led to not much interest and drama. While it isn’t up to the men’s game, there is more competition throughout the tournament with more teams playing that high level of basketball as the top teams.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They are also measuring ratings differently now. They got rid of Nielsen and now count bars and streaming services.

WCBB will get more and more viewers as there is more parity. For so long, a couple teams dominated and the rest didn’t look like they even played the same game. The tournament went full chalk most of the way through. This led to not much interest and drama. While it isn’t up to the men’s game, there is more competition throughout the tournament with more teams playing that high level of basketball as the top teams.
Didn't we have the top two seeds playing in the championship and they each played 3 seeds in the semis? That's not like the men where an 11 seed, who had to win their CCG just to get in, made the FF. There is still about a handful of top teams at the beginning of the year that you know will win be the contenders to win the championship.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Didn't we have the top two seeds playing in the championship and they each played 3 seeds in the semis? That's not like the men where an 11 seed, who had to win their CCG just to get in, made the FF. There is still about a handful of top teams at the beginning of the year that you know will win be the contenders to win the championship.

In 42 tournaments, the women's FF has only had a seed total of 10+ eight times.

Since 2005, it's only happened once:
2016 (14) - 1, 2, 4 (Syracuse), 7 (Washington)

Last seven tournaments:
2017 (6) - 1, 1, 2, 2
2018 (4) - 1, 1, 1, 1
2019 (6) - 1, 1, 2, 2
2021 (6) - 1, 1, 1, 3
2022 (5) - 1, 1, 1, 2
2023 (7) - 1, 1, 2, 3
2024 (8) - 1, 1, 3, 3

Compare that to the men's FF, which has been in single digits just once since 2009.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
A few things to add:

First, remember that last year was the first year of the championship (not sure if semis were) being on OTA networks. That gives it a huge bump right there.

For the women's game to get carry through, you will need companies like State Farm and such to find a new media darling to carry the water. The WNBA plays during the summer, That is the worst time for viewership, people in the northern half want to get out and do things when there isn't snow on the ground and those regions are the bigger basketball supporters. So, if companies don't find the right college player to take CC place and pump her up also, then you will see a good drawback from viewership.

Kind of a chicken or egg. Considering the prior games on ESPN this year were putting up huge numbers, I think it's safe to assume the OTA network is a response, not a cause.

But absolutely I agree that the environment with NIL and getting these players on ads and everything is a huge snowball effect. It takes the right player and style of play like Clark to be of interest to get on those ads, and have them turn around and juice ratings. Let's keep in mind that players like Bird and Ionescu have been on ads recently, it hasn't generated a boost in WNBA ratings. I agree WNBA is in a tough viewership time, but I think if the advertisement aspect was the prime driver we'd see SOME effect on the WNBA.

It's a combination of the right player and the right environment. Interestingly with basketball in general, probably 40% or so of the players are just never going to be that interesting no matter how great they are just because of their style of play. Boston was a great player, great personality, but post players just don't capture the excitement that guards/perimeter players do. There's no denying that Edey is a dominant college player, but watching a giant establish low position and make 3' baby hooks and FTs isn't very exciting, nor is it relatable to more than a tiny percent of young players.

Bueckers is a fun player to watch. Fulwiley from South Carolina is a super exciting player that is going to be fun to watch over the next couple of years.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Right now I would guess Juju is the one they will promote. I remember some barbershop commercial with her, but not sure who it was for. They had went all in on a group of seniors and when they declared for the draft, it was like they didn't realize that they had a void now. You generally want a couple players in case one gets hurt or they leave at the same time. I say the media pushes Juju.

Also, I was shown a tweet from the Woodward lady whose scoring record CC broke. Now with the tourney over, she is going to see a crap storm thrown at her.
JuJu, Bueckers and Fulwiley next year will be really marketable. Probably not one individually as much as CC, but they are all exciting players that area fun to watch.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Never won a state championship
Never even played for a state championship
Never won a national title

tempsnip2.png
But, has three international gold medals

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Clark the leader and role model…

I remember seeing that near the end of the game. She was just dribbling into traffic trying to get calls and complaining when she didnt get one on every possession at that point. She really folded down the stretch. That and the inability to do anything with the ball against UCONN up 1 with 10 seconds left in the game were really bad showings in crunch time IMO. Getting Iowa to 2 championship games is incredible, but she needs to grow up if she wants to take her game to the next level and actually win her team a championship in the WNBA.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I don't hate the state, I hate my rivals. That's literally what most rivals do. You are the exception in this case, not the norm. Rivals hate each other and root against each other.

Do you think Bama fans root for Auburn because SEC? Do you think Texas A&M fans root for Texas to do anything but fail?

Rivalries are supposed to involve emotions, that is the whole basis for them existing.

Iowa doing good, does literally nothing good for Iowa State. It gives them attention, it gives them young fans that hadn't yet decided right or left, it helps them in recruiting, it helps them in in-state recruiting, it helps them in NIL funding. The list goes on. Not a single one of those things helps Iowa State.

I care about ISU.
Well said. 100% accurate.