Well, it's finally over

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Who said annoyed? The post being referenced said he found it hard to believe that anyone could not hear about CC.

Yes, there are many ways to dictate what you're seeing or hearing. But as a college basketball fan from the state of Iowa, it was impossible not to see the CC discourse on social media. No amount of strategic clicking was going to stop that from popping up in someone's feed. It was impossible to not see a State Farm commercial or any other of her handful of ads that were in regular rotation. There was usually a reference to her during Iowa State women's games.
And the post before that was someone who lives in Ames and stated he hardly ever hears about her and I agreed that it can be done. Both can be true.

I wasn’t necessarily saying you specifically but there are definitely people on here that are annoyed. You just accurately called out another poster in another thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: WartburgClone

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
Every Hawk fan I know was enthusiastically rooting against Purdy in the Super Bowl…. and I don’t blame them one bit.

That’s why I’m not sure why they are so upset about ISU fans not cheering for CC? I guess their fragile egos?
The majority of the Hawk fans I know were enthusiastically rooting for their boy, George Kittle and if he caught a pass from Brock it was all about Kittle and how he received the ball was completely irrevelent.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Disagree with this a bit. WBB has been gaining popularity and Clark was a catalyst for turning it up further. But I wouldn't call it "carrying the popularity of the sport on her back" as that is a backhand to the other big names of the sport who, even just a few years ago, would be seen as WBB breakout stars in their own right. There are some Iowa fans who have managed to overstate Clark's effect on WBB popularity, which is quite hard to do seeing how large of an effect she really did have on the sport.

An example: South Carolina-NC State peaked at 9 million viewers. The 2022 Final Four averaged 3.5 million, which was a record at the time. Clark has affected those numbers - almost 3x above the last pre-Clark record - but she was not playing in that game. South Carolina is a draw in its own right and Dawn Staley is becoming close to a household coaching name for formerly casual hoops fans who didn't follow WBB.

WBB may dip in viewership next year or it may not, but there will be another Clark-esque figure for people to latch on to as the sport continues its growth in support; it is just foolish to think the sport is going away now that she's leaving. It has been on an upswing for some time and Clark helped to move the trajectory higher.
WBB's popularity too isn't tied to one athlete (CC). It's been growing in popularity. As a result more young girls are playing hoops at an early age and becoming better players as collegians.

There has never been as many good/great players in WBB as there is now. Clark is one of them. And then was anointed the face of women's college hoops, and was promoted ad nauseum in an unseen (for women's hoops or maybe even men's) media blitz. That insane wall to wall coverage frenzy is largely what drove viewership IMO.

When the media is still talking more about CC after the undefeated SC women's squad just beat her team for the NC, you know it's beyond over the top.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
The majority of the Hawk fans I know were enthusiastically rooting for their boy, George Kittle and if he caught a pass from Brock it was all about Kittle and how he received the ball was completely irrevelent.
Classic weird vs normal duo.

Reactions: aauummm

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020

I actually enjoy watching Kittle in a 49ers uniform. Might be Brock bias on my part.

Maybe my stance on Caitlin will change when she's in a different uniform, but I'm not sure.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I actually enjoy watching Kittle in a 49ers uniform. Might be Brock bias on my part.

Maybe my stance on Caitlin will change when she's in a different uniform, but I'm not sure.
Probably depends on the drama level.

The PR machine probably realized the negative effects of not only the Dad incident, but also the bizarre incident with the Ohio State fan, since that went away fast as more video evidence became available

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Considering he only caught 2 passes for 4 yards, not a whole lot to cheer about.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023

My stance has always been that I've never discounted her basketball abilities but too many refer to her as a role model for young kids. If she influenced that many youngsters with her basketball savvy, how many will try to emulate her on-court antics? I noticed in one of her later season games that she got fouled, needed an ICU unit, and her teammates didn't even check to see if she needed help as if she had "cried wolf" one too many times. Credit her for cleaning up her act somewhat during the tourney but the damage was already done.
For that I cannot cheer for her

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I think most us can acknowledge that CC is a great offensive player, mediocre (at best) defensively and a bit of a drama queen on the court. That being said, we all got CC fatigue due to over exposure. By January, the media outlets turbo charged the coverage to a ridiculous amount. Even CC would admit to that. It was all about getting ratings and clicks. Now that CC college career is over, the media will find something else (or someone) to exploit.

There are lots of ISU fans, Hok haters and others that are happy to move on.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My stance has always been that I've never discounted her basketball abilities but too many refer to her as a role model for young kids. If she influenced that many youngsters with her basketball savvy, how many will try to emulate her on-court antics? I noticed in one of her later season games that she got fouled, needed an ICU unit, and her teammates didn't even check to see if she needed help as if she had "cried wolf" one too many times. Credit her for cleaning up her act somewhat during the tourney but the damage was already done.
For that I cannot cheer for her
We were traveling for eclipse totality so were in MO on Sunday. A KC station was filming a bar filled with Hawk fans for the big game. Some woman was marveling that her little girls finally had basketball players to cheer for that look like them. Son was befuddled by this comment. Confused what it meant. Don’t all women’s basketball teams have women on the team?

Asked him what all the people in the bar had in common. Still confused, he said ugly tiger hawk shirts. When I asked him what that crowd’s kids would look like, it dawned on him what that statement was really about.

• Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: isufbcurt and MJ29

Spam

May 21, 2008
Caitlin Clark is to women's college basketball what Troy Davis was to college football. A statistical beast, but not the GOAT.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Kittle enjoys the game while still being competitive. CC seems to lack that capability.

I think she truly enjoys the game, but I think she has a different way of showing it than Kittle. You'll never catch me telling another human -- especially a woman -- they should smile more (I hated being told that when I was a bartender). But I am put off by Caitlin's constant complaining to the refs. That's not competitive. That's just whining.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think she truly enjoys the game, but I think she has a different way of showing it than Kittle. You'll never catch me telling another human -- especially a woman -- they should smile more (I hated being told that when I was a bartender). But I am put off by Caitlin's constant complaining to the refs. That's not competitive. That's just whining.
Thats what I'm referring to...the continual complaints and digs. I dunno, maybe that's her way of enjoying it. In a way though, that reminds me of the way a troll "enjoys" a message board.
It's not that she doesn't smile, it's just how often she seems frustrated/annoyed/angry.

Reactions: MJ29