Wendy's planning surge pricing on burgers

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Never was a huge fan of Wendy's but randomly had to grab a meal at an airport a month ago and the only option around was a Wendy's and they had the best fries I've ever gotten from a restaurant.

Not a big religion guy but finding good food at an airport wendy's is an unexplainable miracle.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not all Chick-Fil-A's are created equally either. When I lived out on the east coast it was terrible but the DSM locations are money every time. I ate at one down in Mississippi a couple summers ago and it was pretty bad. The franchise owner has a lot to do with it.
Their breakfast is underrated as well. Their spicy chicken biscuit is right up there with the best fast food breakfasts on the market.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
You can eat healthy for a reasonable price. It's the processed crap that adds up quickly.
Yeah, the "healthy is more expensive" line hasn't true for a bit now. Granted, it had been a couple years since I ate at McDonald's so I still believed it until a few months ago when in a pinch, I stopped for a 2 cheeseburger meal. It was over $11 for the "regular size" not even sure what that is, but it's not the giant size. I just said give me the rugular size.

It takes a little thought and planning, but I could easily make a healthy, tasty and filling lunch for at least half that price.

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Dumb but I haven't been to Wendy's in ten years so I probably don't count. Seems like this would mess with their other promotions/couponing.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
In Waukee and West Des Moines it seems to take 20 minutes to get through the car drive through process - even if you're car #1. Do I get charged on the time I got in line, get to the window, or get my cold food?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Their prices were already outrageous as is.

One of these chains should drop advertising and cut prices radically. Just one round of advertising letting everyone know they are way more affordable.

Use In & Out model of slightly better product, smaller menu, lowest prices and almost zero ad budget.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
One of these chains should drop advertising and cut prices radically. Just one round of advertising letting everyone know they are way more affordable.

Use In & Out model of slightly better product, smaller menu, lowest prices and almost zero ad budget.
This is what cookout does in the south, except its way better product.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I'm not opposed to this as a concept

Supply and demand driven pricing is fine, but only if I know the price going in. I wait in that line and my meal for the fam jumps from $35 to $50 without warning?

Nah.
As long as the price isn’t above said price on menu board I’m good with it too

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Just raise prices across the board and then offer digital coupons during happy hour (2-4pm) or whatever other "off hours" exist. People feel a lot better about surprise savings than they do about surprise upcharges.
See, this is the model local restaurants should follow, instead of putting “There is a 4% service charge added to the bill for non-cash credit card payments” on the menu. Just raise your flippin’ prices to account for the credit card fees, then give a discount for cash payments if you want.

I don’t get how they think they’re staying “competitive“ with other restaurants by keeping their menu prices artificially low and then slapping a service fee on at the end. Customers would be a lot happier knowing the price going in, and if they got a discount by paying cash, score.

Not to mention I thought businesses had to agreement businesses had to promise not to charge a separate fee for card processing in order for Visa/Master Card/etc to allow the business to take their cards. I know that used to be a thing, but it must not be any more, or Visa/Master Card would be revoking use of their cards at every. Frickin. Sit down. Restaurant I’ve seen over the past two years-ish.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I just built a box on their website.

Classic crunchy taco
Chalupa Supreme
Cinnamon twists
Pepsi

$5.99

Go box combo
chris-farley-tommy-boy.gif

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's interesting because fast food is getting pretty close to the cost of a sit down meal (with much better food) in a regular restaurant. With most places offering take out, what is the tipping point for not choosing fast food again? Poor planning, maybe?
We have Dairy Queen and Hardees as option in my rural town. We also have two privately owned bar a grill type places. One of those is cheaper than the fast food and one is ever so slightly more. The thing is, about 90% of the time I could call in an order rather than need it right on the spot. That's all not to mention they are handmade burgers and generally just better quality and I don't feel like total garbage after eating it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I wonder if this is already happening at other places. I travelled for work this past week, and every morning, my travelling companion stopped at the same McDonald's, on the way to the office, for breakfast. He ordered the exact same thing every time: sausage McMuffin meal. No changes. No special instructions. And over the course of 5 days, he got 3 different totals for his meals. Monday and Thursday were the same. Wednesday and Friday were the same. Tuesday was unique. He noticed it when he was submitting his expenses at the end of the week. The only thing we could think of was that they were doing some kind of surge pricing, because the receipts appeared exactly the same other than cost. The difference was only a few cents, but we both thought it was odd
Some high schooler just saw Office Space for the first time.

Reactions: Mr Janny

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If you eat fast food you deserve what you get.
I'm just generally going to agree with this. I don't think there should be legislation or anything but if they themselves want to drive less people to eating fast food, that's not a bad thing for society.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron