Wendy's planning surge pricing on burgers

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think it was the Today show that talked about this last week or the week before. Consumers are taking notice on the outrageous fast food prices and leverage will start to swing back to the consumer.

Kelloggs guy getting it today.

But for Wendy's, I guarantee they are using AI as a tool for this. Not the accountants doing this, it's the martech group.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I wonder if this is already happening at other places. I travelled for work this past week, and every morning, my travelling companion stopped at the same McDonald's, on the way to the office, for breakfast. He ordered the exact same thing every time: sausage McMuffin meal. No changes. No special instructions. And over the course of 5 days, he got 3 different totals for his meals. Monday and Thursday were the same. Wednesday and Friday were the same. Tuesday was unique. He noticed it when he was submitting his expenses at the end of the week. The only thing we could think of was that they were doing some kind of surge pricing, because the receipts appeared exactly the same other than cost. The difference was only a few cents, but we both thought it was odd

Testing. How the algorithms learn. How much for which items at which times can we adjust the price before the drop in sales overrides.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Fast food just isn't good anymore. Not that it was ever good to begin with. Anything that is fast and cheap never equals good. But when cheap gets removed from the equation, it becomes really not good.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think it was the Today show that talked about this last week or the week before. Consumers are taking notice on the outrageous fast food prices and leverage will start to swing back to the consumer.

The thing with fast food pricing is that the leverage consumers have for fighting it is not to eat somewhere else, but to eat at home, and trends suggest that isn't happening. The elasticity of demand equation just isn't what it was 25 years ago, for lots of reasons. The convenience premium is a huge factor in why fast food costs nearly as much as sit down places.

Reactions: CascadeClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Fast food just isn't good anymore. Not that it was ever good to begin with. Anything that is fast and cheap never equals good. But when cheap gets removed from the equation, it becomes really not good.
I actually think the Ames Chick Fil A is about as well run as any fast food place on the planet.
The only thing that sucks is the driveway, everything else is amazing.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: hlb76 and exCYtable

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
We eat out about once a month, prices are crazy - have to get good coupons on an app to make it reasonable.

Usually can get a BOGO at McD's or $4 off through app. Wife and I do separate orders on our phones to get 2 coupons. Somehow manage to feed family of 5 for $17-20.

We buy the coupons for Casey's where you buy large specialty get free medium one topping. That is about $20 as well after buying coupon.

Do TJ's when they have 6pk and lb for $14.

Reactions: NWICY and mj4cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I might care about this if I'd have been to a Wendy's in the last 20 years.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
There aren’t many fast food places that are worth eating at any more. Quality for many has gone down hill rapidly over the past 10-20 years. Culver’s, B-bops, and chick-fil-a are pretty much the only ones worth going to.
Went to Chick-fil-A this weekend, dang they have the drive thru thing figured out. It was impressive.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Went to Chick-fil-A this weekend, dang they have the drive thru thing figured out. It was impressive.
My youngest always orders on the app when we are on the way and they track our location so it’s ready when we get there.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Taco Bell has gotten stupid expensive. I took my son to one a few weeks back and I had a meal and he had 2 soft shells and the total was like $24.
How the hell do you spend $24 at Taco Bell? That's the only fast food restaurant that is still cheap. Get 2 burritos off their value menu and you have a ton of food for <$5

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
And that's why far too many people go eat fast food 6 times a week. We are lazy and dumb.

We try to do it only once a week, and generally somewhere not too terrible health wise. Luckily the gf likes to cook, and is good at it. But I think she is low-key trying to kill me with pasta and cheese...

The pasta and cheese comment is the only reason I funnied that and not liked.

• Funny
Reactions: CascadeClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron