Wendy's planning surge pricing on burgers

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The Wendy's near me closed years ago so I haven't been to one in ages. Chik Fil A drive through is always 10 cars deep so I usually avoid it. Besides I just don't see much special about it.
Over the last few years if I got a fast food burger it was from Runza.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Just who the hell is going to drive there to find out if they're going to have a decent price that day? Not me. Seems like self immolation.

"Wendy's is planning to charge different prices depending on the time of day - which means a Dave's Single could cost more at lunchtime than mid-afternoon. So-called dynamic pricing would boost traffic when restaurants are quiet and cool demand when they're busy. Such a system might mean that at busy times like breakfast, lunch and dinner, prices it advertises on a digital menu will be higher and at quieter times they will fall."
Other fast food places already do this by have lower prices after nine pm or middle of the afternoon. Reaturants do this by having a happy hour before or affter the dinner rush. What ever it takes to get customers.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Park in the drive thru for 15 minutes while your buddy stands back and says it’s broken. Then when you’ve slowed it down, take the price drop.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Park in the drive thru for 15 minutes while your buddy stands back and says it’s broken. Then when you’ve slowed it down, take the price drop.
Seems like a great way to save 85 cents.

Just make sure to invest that savings in an index based mutual fund!

• Haha
Reactions: Jer and BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Seems like a great way to save 85 cents.

Just make sure to invest that savings in an index based mutual fund!
Yeah, I’m curious how much the price will change. If it’s more than a dollar a sandwich, they will probably lose business (since they are a little more expensive now) and it’s it’s like 25 cents it will just irritate customers and have them stop going if they don’t know what prices will be.

I suppose you can sit there and be annoying and ask every 10 seconds, “what’s your burger price now?” Maybe they will just cut a buck off to get rid of you.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's unreal. A well oiled machine. The Ankeny one on the other hand....not so much.

Kiddo and I ate inside the Ankeny one not long ago. They did well.

They had a staff meeting going on, and the guy I assumed is the owner or GM kept talking about how to portion chicken nuggets, and complaining that they throw away thousands and thousands of perfectly good nuggets everyday. We still talk about thousands and thousands whenever I need to overreact to something.

• Haha
Reactions: Candide

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's unreal. A well oiled machine. The Ankeny one on the other hand....not so much.

Yeah, slowest one I've been to by far.

Honestly if I'm feeling CFA I'll swing through and grab it at merle hay on my way back from WDM to south Ankeny, even though I'm pretty close to the Ankeny one. I've also noticed a difference in the sandwich quality between Ankeny and other ones.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Fast food just isn't good anymore. Not that it was ever good to begin with. Anything that is fast and cheap never equals good. But when cheap gets removed from the equation, it becomes really not good.

It's the price for me. You can go to a sit-down restaurant and have decent meal off the lunch menu for less than combo at most fast food restaurants. What you get at a sit-down restaurant for the price compared to a fast food restaurant is pretty remarkable.

• Agree
Reactions: RING4CY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
It's the price for me. You can go to a sit-down restaurant and have decent meal off the lunch menu for less than combo at most fast food restaurants. What you get at a sit-down restaurant for the price compared to a fast food restaurant is pretty remarkable.

Mexican joints are our go-to. The price/quality/quantity can't be beat.

We can get out of Guadalajara for like 60-70 bucks for the 5 of us with drinks and some queso. We tried Olive Garden because the kids wanted it and ended up being 100+ with waters all around.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Fast food is awful, and terribly overpriced. Never underestimate people's laziness and willingness to get it however.

I try to support my local food trucks. Infinitely better food and not much different in price than fast food. If you order there not at peak lunch or dinner time, its pretty fast too. Does Iowa have a lot of food trucks these days?

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
McDonald's: "We understand that you, the customer, are not happy about higher prices on fast food. We have heard your strife and want to do what's best for you. Our prices on some items will be lowered because we value the customer experience so much. Thank you and have a blessed day."

Wendy's: **** YOUR BUDGET!!! DON'T WANNA PAY MORE?!?! GO AHEAD AND STARVE YOU ******* DEGENERATES!!!

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
here is how that meeting of overpaid executives went:

Exec 1: “We need to increase profits! Let’s be new age and think outside the box”

Exec 2: “Let’s just raise prices on our $hitty food”

Exec 1: “no, we can’t do that. People already pay too much for everything today”

Exec 3: “I’m still drunk from last night but my UBER ride home at 2:30 AM costed a lot more than my UBER ride to the bar at 8:00 PM”

Exec 1: “Brilliant! Make it happen now”

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Just who the hell is going to drive there to find out if they're going to have a decent price that day? Not me. Seems like self immolation.

"Wendy's is planning to charge different prices depending on the time of day - which means a Dave's Single could cost more at lunchtime than mid-afternoon. So-called dynamic pricing would boost traffic when restaurants are quiet and cool demand when they're busy. Such a system might mean that at busy times like breakfast, lunch and dinner, prices it advertises on a digital menu will be higher and at quieter times they will fall."
So what is the pricing going to be for the Senior Supper at 4:00pm? Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Unfortunately, while Burger King seems to be the next fast food franchise to massively contract and/or close, Wendy's is probably in the number 2 spot. It's been no secret that BK is struggling - as evident by the empty parking lots and the number of closed locations. Wendy's has great food (in my opinion), but they seem to really struggle in several markets either in speed, service, or location. We'd probably eat there once or twice a month if the one in Waukee wasn't so bad, but instead we drive by it most weekends.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Where is Taza?
Next to Pancheros in Ames over by Best Buy. Mediterranean place that is huge on flavor, speed, and cost fits in about where most places are. I was sad that Pepperjax went under, so that was my replacement. Garbanzo is decent, but Taza is better.

Reactions: NWICY

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Unfortunately, while Burger King seems to be the next fast food franchise to massively contract and/or close, Wendy's is probably in the number 2 spot. It's been no secret that BK is struggling - as evident by the empty parking lots and the number of closed locations. Wendy's has great food (in my opinion), but they seem to really struggle in several markets either in speed, service, or location. We'd probably eat there once or twice a month if the one in Waukee wasn't so bad, but instead we drive by it most weekends.
The 1 off university is bad too. They have weird hours and can barely staff the place. But, the one off 100th must have their stuff together, or seems so.

Reactions: Jer