Wendy's planning surge pricing on burgers

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Unfortunately, while Burger King seems to be the next fast food franchise to massively contract and/or close, Wendy's is probably in the number 2 spot. It's been no secret that BK is struggling - as evident by the empty parking lots and the number of closed locations. Wendy's has great food (in my opinion), but they seem to really struggle in several markets either in speed, service, or location. We'd probably eat there once or twice a month if the one in Waukee wasn't so bad, but instead we drive by it most weekends.

I prefer BK to most burger fast food places, but even I rarely end up going there. I can't believe the ones around me have stayed open the last 5 years.

Reactions: Jer

StevieISU23

Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Was going to stop at Casey's to grab a breakfast Sandwich ($3.50?).
Thought, I hadn't been to BKing Drive-thru in a while.....probably the same price?
BK Sandwich was $3.99. Meal, which inlcudes coffee & hash-round thingys...$6.49
OK, I go for the meal.
They ask if I want the Medium or the Large (I assume 2 sizes), oh I don't need anything extra, just the Medium, please.
I'll take a Diet Coke, instead of Coffee (I assume a $.30 upcharge or something).

Bill comes to $11.28, or something.....WTF?

Well sir, you ordered the Medium, which is a $1.59 upcharge?.....hunh?
The Pop (pop vs coffee actual charge is what $.07?).... Pop Upcharge is $1.89, plus $0.35 to upgrade it to the Medium...
Plus Tax/title/liscencing...

$11.28, for a very crappy breakfast....(food cost was probably about $1.50).
Again, WT actual F....

End Rant.

• Wow
Reactions: Gorm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's unreal. A well oiled machine. The Ankeny one on the other hand....not so much.
Yes, the variability in efficiency from the Ames to Ankeny CFAs is pretty mindboggling. The Ames one you hardly need to tap your brake going through the drive-through. In Ankeny you can about park and take a nap in the drive-through.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I prefer BK to most burger fast food places, but even I rarely end up going there. I can't believe the ones around me have stayed open the last 5 years.

Man, BK used to be freaking legit tough.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yes, the variability in efficiency from the Ames to Ankeny CFAs is pretty mindboggling. The Ames one you hardly need to tap your brake going through the drive-through. In Ankeny you can about park and take a nap in the drive-through.

The thing with Chick-fil-A is that it's all about the franchise owner. if you are still in the "growth stages" those restaurant owners are usually really involved and in turn they get some pretty incredible rewards. Once stores plateau they aren't nearly as incentivized and that's when you see quality/consistency start to slide.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Last time I ate Wendy's was 2009 and the cheese on my burger was covered in blue mold. I politely asked for a refund and the manager was extremely rude about it, and refused to give me my money back. So I chucked the burger in her face and walked out. She had ketchup and mustard all over her face so it was worth not getting a refund.
Cool story bro

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think the local Mexican restaurants are pretty much the optimum cost/quality in most places in Iowa.

Have been hitting up the one in Northern Lights in Ames since it opened, but the word is getting out, since we saw JP there on Friday.

I can eat a lot, and I can easily stretch two good sized meals out of the birrias tacos meal that I think is like $12. Take some of the beef out of the tacos because they are absolutely loaded, throw that and a bunch of the rice in the leftover consommé, and you've got a kickass leftover meal.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yeah, when BK is good it's solid, but it seems like most of the locations are garbage these days. Slow service, cold food, dirty restaurants. Not sure how the one in Ankeny stays open. There are so many burger places right next to it, unless you really want a whopper

Reactions: Jer

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
**** Wendy’s
Did their commercials make the "Commercials that need to be shot into the sun thread?" If not, they should be high on that list. Nothing makes me want to eat at your place more than you showing me that you hire a bunch of morons to run it.

In reality, lilving in the Chicago burbs, I have so many mom and pop hot dog/burger places around that if I were to eat "Fast Food" I'd go to one of them. Most of them blow any chain burger away by a mile. Usually though, if I'm looking for a quick take-out, I hit one of the mom and pop mexican places. This is making me hungry for a Milanesa Torta as I type this.

Reactions: Walden4Prez

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Did their commercials make the "Commercials that need to be shot into the sun thread?" If not, they should be high on that list. Nothing makes me want to eat at your place more than you showing me that you hire a bunch of morons to run it.

In reality, lilving in the Chicago burbs, I have so many mom and pop hot dog/burger places around that if I were to eat "Fast Food" I'd go to one of them. Most of them blow any chain burger away by a mile. Usually though, if I'm looking for a quick take-out, I hit one of the mom and pop mexican places. This is making me hungry for a Milanesa Torta as I type this.

You crazy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah, when BK is good it's solid, but it seems like most of the locations are garbage these days. Slow service, cold food, dirty restaurants. Not sure how the one in Ankeny stays open. There are so many burger places right next to it, unless you really want a whopper
The one that closed down a year ago on 86th by Texas Roadhouse literally had bugs everywhere the few times I went into it. Even the drive through felt like you needed a shower or car wash afterwards.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
BK went downhill when they got rid of the rodeo burgers. It's been sh*t since they really tried to push the impossible burger and made different sections at their locations. I'm all for having options, but it really seemed like they were trying to push a dead market instead of refining and pleasing their current customer base.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
BK went downhill when they got rid of the rodeo burgers. It's been sh*t since they really tried to push the impossible burger and made different sections at their locations. I'm all for having options, but it really seemed like they were trying to push a dead market instead of refining and pleasing their current customer base.

Honestly don't think the problem is the offerings including the impossible burger. It's more a widespread problem of quality control across the chain that would be a problem no matter what they put on the menu

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I recall Wendy's having a salad bar. My wife was so adamant that there were salad bars in Wendys that I'm now second guessing myself. Help me out here, CyFan.

Last edited:

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Honestly don't think the problem is the offerings including the impossible burger. It's more a widespread problem of quality control across the chain that would be a problem no matter what they put on the menu
Yeah, probably. I guess if you don't reinvest or tighten up your inefficiencies and glaring issues, they'll eventually eat them alive. My perception of them just hasn't been great over the years since college. Kind of a dying brand that just never seem to become innovative and create something better beyond their attempt at the whopper. Oh well, I won't lose sleep over it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I recall Wendy's having a salad bar. My wife was so adamant that there were salad bars in Wendys that I'm not second guessing myself. Help me out here, CyFan.

There were definitely salad bars in wendys.

1fJd6Gi.png

Reactions: Clonefan32

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I recall Wendy's having a salad bar. My wife was so adamant that there were salad bars in Wendys that I'm not second guessing myself. Help me out here, CyFan.
They did apparently, I only remember the BK salad bars though. The 80's was the golden age of salad bars.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There were two different levels of salad bars. Some stores had Salad Bars, some had Super Bars. The latter had some things like chilli, tacos, etc. Since they were all you could eat, they ran out of fashion around the late 90s (some places early 00s).

Help Support Us

Become a patron