Wendy's planning surge pricing on burgers

thuner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2010
It’s just another bored upper manager that just read a new finance book.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Fast food just isn't good anymore. Not that it was ever good to begin with. Anything that is fast and cheap never equals good. But when cheap gets removed from the equation, it becomes really not good.

It was never healthy but it used to objectively taste better and be a better value. When they are coming up with 587 ways to reinvent pizza or burgers or tacos it's a sign they are just serving up crap.

I'd love to have an 80s pizza hut pizza or an early 90s Subway sub. Both total garbage today. The only thing I like at McDs is the apple pie which they change all the time but actually pretty good now.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I don't see a problem with it as long as pricing is clearly posted. Temporary pricing to manage surges can mean more manageable wait times at the drive through and counter over the lunch hour, but unless widely adopted in the industry just makes Wendy's a more expensive product than those of their competitors at times when they do their most business.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It was never healthy but it used to objectively taste better and be a better value. When they are coming up with 587 ways to reinvent pizza or burgers or tacos it's a sign they are just serving up crap.

I wish more of them would simplify their menus honestly. The slowness at a lot of them is from trying to please everyone and having giant menus.

I'd love to have an 80s pizza hut pizza or an early 90s Subway sub. Both total garbage today. The only thing I like at McDs is the apple pie which they change all the time but actually pretty good now.

Unfortunately the cycle of most chain restaurants.

Start, be in growth mode, keep investors happy because they're always seeing growth due to increasing number of stores. Growth in stores slows. Investor returns must be maintained in perpetuity though, so corners get cut again and again and again. Every restaurant ends up garbage.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I wish more of them would simplify their menus honestly. The slowness at a lot of them is from trying to please everyone and having giant menus.

Unfortunately the cycle of most chain restaurants.

Start, be in growth mode, keep investors happy because they're always seeing growth due to increasing number of stores. Growth in stores slows. Investor returns must be maintained in perpetuity though, so corners get cut again and again and again. Every restaurant ends up garbage.
Except for Olive Garden.

When you're there, you're family.

• Haha
Reactions: 2020cy

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Pizza Hut back in the 1980s was a truly special event. I had so many high-school/college era gatherings at Pizza Huts in Ottumwa and Fairfield and Pella. They’ve fallen so far … there are darn few that even offer sit-down dining anymore. Sad!

• Agree
Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I wonder if this is already happening at other places. I travelled for work this past week, and every morning, my travelling companion stopped at the same McDonald's, on the way to the office, for breakfast. He ordered the exact same thing every time: sausage McMuffin meal. No changes. No special instructions. And over the course of 5 days, he got 3 different totals for his meals. Monday and Thursday were the same. Wednesday and Friday were the same. Tuesday was unique. He noticed it when he was submitting his expenses at the end of the week. The only thing we could think of was that they were doing some kind of surge pricing, because the receipts appeared exactly the same other than cost. The difference was only a few cents, but we both thought it was odd

I know different Mickie D's are priced different from others. Regarding fries the ones in ames are 10 cents higher than Nevada.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iirc Wendy's was always expensive vs. quality with exception to the frosty.

Haven't been in forever and almost forgot they exist.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Pizza Hut back in the 1980s was a truly special event. I had so many high-school/college era gatherings at Pizza Huts in Ottumwa and Fairfield and Pella. They’ve fallen so far … there are darn few that even offer sit-down dining anymore. Sad!

Book-It 4 Life.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Pizza Hut introducing the Pan pizza in 1980 vaulted them ahead of everybody else in the game. I think they had the first stuffed crust pizza from a major chain as well. And the P'zone. But you can't bat 1.000.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Fast food just isn't good anymore. Not that it was ever good to begin with. Anything that is fast and cheap never equals good. But when cheap gets removed from the equation, it becomes really not good.

Generally agree (although I do like me some Taco John’s around once per quarter or so). I used to say if I have to eat at only one fast food place for the rest of my life, it was Popeyes. But ever since they were acquired, nearly everything has gone down hill. Now, TJs occupies that spot. Potato Oles FTW!

• Winner
Reactions: 2020cy

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Just who the hell is going to drive there to find out if they're going to have a decent price that day? Not me. Seems like self immolation.

"Wendy's is planning to charge different prices depending on the time of day - which means a Dave's Single could cost more at lunchtime than mid-afternoon. So-called dynamic pricing would boost traffic when restaurants are quiet and cool demand when they're busy. Such a system might mean that at busy times like breakfast, lunch and dinner, prices it advertises on a digital menu will be higher and at quieter times they will fall."
Wendy's sucks anyway. Cold burgers, dirty restaurants, and who the crap likes square patties?

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I actually think the Ames Chick Fil A is about as well run as any fast food place on the planet.
The only thing that sucks is the driveway, everything else is amazing.
It's unreal. A well oiled machine. The Ankeny one on the other hand....not so much.

Mar 21, 2021
Prolly they should just size customers up and charge 'em more if they look flush.

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Last time I ate Wendy's was 2009 and the cheese on my burger was covered in blue mold. I politely asked for a refund and the manager was extremely rude about it, and refused to give me my money back. So I chucked the burger in her face and walked out. She had ketchup and mustard all over her face so it was worth not getting a refund.

Help Support Us

Become a patron