What are you most afraid of?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Mine sucks...I fear travel and night time. Grew up with really bad panic and my first panic attack happened at night so my body has always been scared of the night since then even though I know it's irrational. Travel because of a fear of having a panic attack in an unfamiliar place and fearing the panic attack won't go away unless I'm in a familiar area. Such an irrational fear, but so real to my mind.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Heights. Being in an airplane or tall building is fine. Getting near the edge of a roof, bridge, tall platform, etc., and my hands and feet start to sweat.

Health-wise, a stroke. Based on family history, it's almost a given, and they suck.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
exorcist.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
As a kid, I was not afraid of heights. At all. Used to screw with my brother when we were little, by crawling up on the garage roof and teasing him.

Now? Not so much....whenever I get on something tall, I dare not get near the edge, because I feel this urge to jump. A buddy of mine who is a rock climber was on top of Devils' Tower (where they filmed the ending of Close Encounters of the Third Kind) and he told me the same thing. Just weird - you fell a compulsion to leap off. And that scares the he!! out of me.
I used to do a lot of rock and mountain climbing. Now I'm a little more cautious when at height.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Being a parent. Thankfully, we made it through my son's teenage years (he is now 20), but there is nothing like the panic that you feel as a parent when you wake up and realize it's well past curfew and you haven't heard your kid come in yet (or call). That's why I rarely sleep (even now) until my son is home. It will be nice when he gets an apartment as I won't be expecting him (though having him leave the nest will be a challenge as well).

• Friendly
Reactions: cyhiphopp

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Not being able to trust those closest to me.

Not reaching some travel and retirement goals before I’m old or dead.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Geez, I have a few things. My kids are top. I just worry and am afraid something bad will happen to them. My boys walk home 3 blocks from school every day. Even they know what to do if approached, I'm still afraid of Chester the Moelester out there.

My daughter is 14 and traveling alone to NYC to stay with my sis in law for a few days this summer. We have a direct flight from Des Moines and paid extra for an airline person to help her out. Sis in law will be meeting her at the airport. I'm afraid the plane will go down and she's alone, I'm afraid some child trafficking person will kidnap her and never see her again.

My wife had a brain aneurysm coiled a few years ago. I have a thread here on it. She's great and fine, but I'm afraid someday she'll be driving and something will happen again.

Wasps. Dont like these ******* things at all.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Being a parent. Thankfully, we made it through my son's teenage years (he is now 20), but there is nothing like the panic that you feel as a parent when you wake up and realize it's well past curfew and you haven't heard your kid come in yet (or call). That's why I rarely sleep (even now) until my son is home. It will be nice when he gets an apartment as I won't be expecting him (though having him leave the nest will be a challenge as well).

Are you my mom?

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Having twin 6 year old girls, someone kidnapping or hurting them is probably my biggest fear because it's mostly out of my control.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You ever heard of a little fella by the name of the Boogie Man?

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Not being prepared. I farm a little and sometimes I wake up from a dream where all my neighbors have their crops planted and my planter / tractor is broken or not ready.

...and snakes...remember that scene from Raiders when Harrison ford is in the pit and a snake is slithering through the skeletons mouth?

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
I have two. My irrational and rational.

Irrational is being trapped in a tight place as it fills with water.

Rational fear is not being able to raise my daughter to her full potential. She is only 9 months old but I want to make sure I am able to give her all the tools to be successful. I am scared that as I raise her, it points her down the wrong path. and of course what ever one else is saying about not being their for her.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I used to be really afraid of rare things like plane crashes, active shooter, getting ebola, etc. The alleviate some of those fears I learned just how rare those things are in reality. However, I also learned how common things are like car crashes, lightning strikes, and heart disease. So now I'm afraid of those. Ugh.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron