What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I don't listen to sports radio, never have, nor do I follow these goons on (or even use) social media... but I'm pretty sure all but those invested in women's basketball or Hawk fans with nothing else to celebrate moved on long ago.

Yep, she has fans - most athletes do. She did nothing earth shattering for the sport, she just played great and got away with poor sportsmanship because she's white and created controversy because her opponent did the same thing and was black.

Iowa is such a pathetic media state - U of Iowa has always been the bell cow and anything the media can grab onto, they will run into the ground. You combine a Hawkeye story with a female and they go apeshit for months. I understand they have to fill coverage with something, but there are a lot of great stories out there right now they don't touch.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Good Lord, Murph and Andy have spent several minutes in both hours today talking about her. Murph had 7 texts about her by himself yesterday.

Definitely would rather golf with Caitlin Clark. At least she is going to actually graduate from U of I.

• Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I don't listen to sports radio, never have, nor do I follow these goons on (or even use) social media... but I'm pretty sure all but those invested in women's basketball or Hawk fans with nothing else to celebrate moved on long ago.

Yep, she has fans - most athletes do. She did nothing earth shattering for the sport, she just played great and got away with poor sportsmanship because she's white and created controversy because her opponent did the same thing and was black.

Iowa is such a pathetic media state - U of Iowa has always been the bell cow and anything the media can grab onto, they will run into the ground. You combine a Hawkeye story with a female and they go apeshit for months. I understand they have to fill coverage with something, but there are a lot of great stories out there right now they don't touch.
Well, anything to take away from covering the abomination of Iowa men's basketball and the coming implosion (again) of Brian Ferentz's superior offensive skills...

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My son saw Olivia Dunn and bodyguards at the CWS in Omaha. I would rather see her than Clark anyday of the week.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm guessing I've only seen the tip of the iceberg since I've only seen what's been reposted here from him, but it feels pretty damn creepy. Like, seriously creepy.
I asked this in the KXNO thread but you know things. Since Murph married money, is it public info how much NIL money he has given Clark?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Is Clark polarizing? Absolutely, but nobody can run something into the ground like the state of Iowa media. It's just like Shawn Johnson, Gabby Douglas, Lolo Jones, etc. I lived on the east coast for a bit and I still cringe with this states obsession with the Iowa connection. It's weird.
I wouldn't say it's weird. It's normal for low population states. Canadians are even more obsessed with the concept of the local hero.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I asked this in the KXNO thread but you know things. Since Murph married money, is it public info how much NIL money he has given Clark?
Carvers, question for you. What’s up with a catholic school up by me having their victory song being Highway to Hell? Seems a little off. Most schools okay sweet Caroline or celebration or something like that.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Carvers, question for you. What’s up with a catholic school up by me having their victory song being Highway to Hell? Seems a little off. Most schools okay sweet Caroline or celebration or something like that.
Beats me. Guessing it is some ancient coach or AD’s favorite song. Our public high school plays it and all geezer music from 50 years ago. Stuff was current when I started high school there but not now. Pretty sad playing “Moon River” in pep band when I was in high school. It wasn’t ancient then but certainly not peppy.

Husband went to a Jesuit school. Their fight song sounds like something a priest wrote as a funeral dirge. Most games I have ever attended at a Catholic high school work the Notre Dame Victory March or When the Saints Go Marching In somewhere into the deal. It’s weird how much music they play at softball and baseball now. They may just play what they can without copyright issues or something. Was walking my dog and the noise from the softball field was deafening. My youngest isn’t even that old but I don’t remember two hours of music blaring before and after his games.

Doug Piranha

Oct 13, 2021
If you think she’d have gotten any national attention whatsoever without all the local fawning over her you’re even dumber than I thought.
So you think someone receiving quite a bit of national media coverage isn't deserving of local media attention. I may be dumber than you thought, but your knuckles must hurt a lot from dragging them around all the time with your level of reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.