What game or event made you a Cyclone for life?

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
We all had that game where it took us from just a fan to a full-fledged Cyclone.

Mine was our win over Miami-Ohio. I was in 5th grade, my mom let me stay home from school so I could watch the game. Hornacek hit the shot at the end- I was hooked. We went on to beat a really good Michigan team two days later. Johnny Orr became my hero.

* Edit: Forward to 15:30 for the shot.

What’s yours?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Kantrail Horton's shot from the Kansas logo.

I grew up always liking Iowa State better than Iowa, but college sports weren't something I was super passionate about. I started following them heavily, starting in 2000. But it was the Kansas game where Horton made that shot, that hooked me for life.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
January 25, 2016. The #14 Iowa State Cyclones defeat the #4 Kansas Jayhawks 85-72 in Hilton Coliseum. I wasn’t a huge sports fan yet and wasn’t a cyclone fan growing up, so this was my first experience at Hilton as a freshman. I was convinced by friends to camp out for the game (we had some pretty nasty weather too—cold, rain and sleet) and we ended up with great seats about midway up in the lower bowl student section. What a game! This was the Niang-Morris-Nader-Thomas-McKay team with Deonte Burton off the bench. KU led for most of the game until the magic overwhelmed them in the second half. Favorite moment was Matt Thomas intercepting a lazy pass in the final minutes and running it back for an uncontested dunk.

I was fully a cyclone fan and fanatic after that.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Unlike most people, my game was a loss.
2000 Elite Eight vs Michigan State. I was heartbroken but became a fan for life because of that game. Also the oldest game I can remember so probably why it made me a fan for life.

Still irks to this day that game was played in Auburn Hills, MI. In the Larry Eustachy interview with CW and Blum they talk about how if that team had KU on their jerseys, ISU would have been the 1 seed and avoided that matchup.

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
January 25, 2016. The #14 Iowa State Cyclones defeat the #4 Kansas Jayhawks 85-72 in Hilton Coliseum. I wasn’t a huge sports fan yet and wasn’t a cyclone fan growing up, so this was my first experience at Hilton as a freshman. I was convinced by friends to camp out for the game (we had some pretty nasty weather too—cold, rain and sleet) and we ended up with great seats about midway up in the lower bowl student section. What a game! This was the Niang-Morris-Nader-Thomas-McKay team with Deonte Burton off the bench. KU led for most of the game until the magic overwhelmed them in the second half. Favorite moment was Matt Thomas intercepting a lazy pass in the final minutes and running it back for an uncontested dunk.

I was fully a cyclone fan and fanatic after that.

Yes! I was at that game too- even though we were behind of lot of the game, you just knew we were going to win.

How about all that NBA talent on our roster…wow! Deonte Burton- probably the best pure athlete I’ve ever seen in a Cyclone basketball jersey.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
We all had that game where it took us from just a fan to a full-fledged Cyclone.

Mine was our win over Miami-Ohio. I was in 5th grade, my mom let me stay home from school so I could watch the game. Hornacek hit the shot at the end- I was hooked. We went on to beat a really good Michigan team two days later. Johnny Orr became my hero.

What’s yours?

When I saw the thread title I was wracking my brain to try to decide -my parents were students in the late 70's and I remember watching Carr wrestle and loved him. But probably your exact post was when I really was hooked- the shot against Miami OH.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I can’t point to one game in particular, but I can remember watching the basketball team with Hoiberg, Michalik, and Meyer as a kid and really getting excited for them. I grew up in NW Iowa, close to where Loren Meyer was from, so that helped get me interested.

When they beat Florida in the NCAA tournament was a highlight I can remember. It’s crazy that was about 30 years ago.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

What’s yours?

I was 14 and actually at that game. Wild.

Ron Harper was killing us.

Anyway, my dad had recently changed jobs and was working St. Paul. Family was in the process of moving but mom and the rest of us still lived in Charles City. Dad got tickets and hit me up asking if I wanted to come up to see the game.

Mind you, I was already a Cyclone fan, dad's a grad, etc., so I said yes. Parents got me a ticket on a Greyhound bus to get to St. Paul. Crazy to think about now. Sending a 14 year old alone on a bus to St. Paul in the middle of the night. Eight hour bus ride with all the stops.

Dad met me around midnight in the down town St. Paul Greyhound bus terminal. Crashed at his place and the rest is history. It was a really great game.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Probably when I came out of the womb. Pretty sure I attended my first game when I was 3 months old

Same. My dad gave up season tickets to afford me and my sister. Grew up listening to Pete Taylor on the radio. It was probably Pete Taylor as much as anyone that made me a fan. There wasn't much to cheer about, but when something good happened, his calls were epic.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Easily, the day I was born. First home was in Pammel Court (both parents are alums). Started going to FB games shortly thereafter and haven’t stopped since. Graduated in 2002, added basketball ~ about 10 years ago, and now have a kid at ISU. The cycle continues…….