What game or event made you a Cyclone for life?

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Barry Stevens and the beginning of Hilton Magic. I remember watching the Johnny Orr Show with Pete Taylor on Saturday mornings and Van Halen's "Jump" as the outro music on one or all of the episodes. That was one of my earliest Cyclone memory.

Reactions: HFCS and NWICY

Run Faster

Sep 28, 2020
Johnny Orr= my reason.
His passion for Iowa State really resonated with me! I appreciated how unapologetic he was about not giving a f*ck what others thought! If he had something to say he would just say it to your face. No filters!

Reactions: HFCS and CYCLNST8

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Johnny Orr= my reason.
His passion for Iowa State really resonated with me! I appreciated how unapologetic he was about not giving a f*ck what others thought! If he had something to say he would just say it to your face. No filters!
I don’t understand what you mean. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5656.jpeg
    IMG_5656.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7

thuner

Nov 28, 2010
I was 5 (in my 50’s now) and my obnoxious neighbor was spouting something about the squats and I asked my dad what was up and he responded don’t worry about it. He’s a dumb Hawkeye fan.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
It was also a loss for me. 1997 NCAA tourney regional semifinal vs UCLA. Cam Dollar's shot over Kato to win it in OT. I was 16 years old and that crushed me. Grew up Cyclone, but I knew it was in my blood that day. Got my acceptance letter a couple years later.

Reactions: HFCS and NWICY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Johnny Orr= my reason.
Case and point: My dad and I (I was in HS) saw Johnny one time at a diner randomly in north Central Iowa around the time the Eustachy situation was coming to a close and right after they hired WM as HC. My dad pleasantries and Johnny couldn’t have been nicer as he was halfway through his burger sitting alone. Then my dad made the mistake (atleast to my younger ears) of asking him what he thought of the new coach. And OH BOY did Johnny tell us EXACTLY what he thought of the new coach. He goes off on this F Bomb laced tirade that I bet everyone in there heard and he DGAF. He could not stand Wayne for whatever reason and was beyond pissed that they didn’t listen to whatever advice he game them about the next hire.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
First game I remember (vaguely) watching was the Big 8 championship in 1996 with my dad. I was 7 at the time.

When I really started to become a fanatic was Eustachy’s first season in 98/99. I was in 4th grade at Edwards elementary, right across from where the Eustachys moved in (Floyd’s old home). I was friends with his oldest son, and a group of friends would hang out at their place after school and shoot hoops fairly regularly. I was fortunate to be invited to multiple games where we would get to hang out in the locker room, be close to the court in the tunnel area, and meet the guys on the team. Hard to beat close up action when you are 10 and in love with basketball already. I was absolutely hooked!

Reactions: NWICY and HFCS

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
My older brothers had gone to ISU so I always had an affection. They'd bring home t-shirts and stuff for me as a kid that I wore and loved, but growing up in eastern Iowa at the start of Hayden Fry, few other kids here liked it. I learned quickly to despise the tavern Hoks. In 1987 ISU had lost badly to Iowa in football at home and the streak of losing was beginning to get painful as a 13 year old.

Basketball season rolled around. The Hawk fans were very cocky that year. I think they had won 30 games the year prior and were in the top ten when they rolled into Hilton that December. And Lafester Rhodes happened. I will never forget how much fun the Iowa State players had beating the brakes off that Iowa team, how easy they made it look. Jeff Grayer was always the superstar, but that night no one could do any wrong. After that I was hooked on ISU basketball.

When I was got to ISU a few years later, football fandom really wasn't a thing for me. I knew guys that were on the team, but didn't have any real attraction to spending Saturdays at Cyclone Stadium unless they were ahead at halftime, then we might go on down and walk in after the gates were left open. Then Mac came. I remember he had a student rally of some type at the football stadium after he was hired that my housemates and I went to. It took all of five minutes and we were fully on board.

We have none of this without Johnny Orr and Dan McCarney.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
9/19/81 - Iowa @ ISU Football - Parent’s Weekend of my Freshman year - Towers Residence Association. ISU defeats EIU 23-12 behind Dwayne Crutchfield, who rushed for over 100 yards in the first half! The winning entry in the TRA window painting contest was “Eat Sh!t and Die Hawk B@stards”. My church going parents never again visited me in Ames!

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Had to look up the date - January 5, 1994 MBB game vs. Western Illinois. First game I attended in person, with my dad. I was only 4 years old. He spent most of the game trying to explain how basketball worked and taught me how to keep track of each player’s score in the program. Apparently I asked all the time when we could go to another game, and wanted to watch them on TV from that point on. I don’t remember any of this except that I kept the program in my nightstand drawer for years after the game.

The first big Cyclone memory I have was playing for the final Big 8 title in ‘96. We were staying with grandparents as my parents were at Kemper. I know I couldn’t stay sitting down during those final free-throws and I remember how happy my grandparents seemed with the Cyclones winning the title. They weren’t very emotional people in general so I knew it had to be pretty special. It wasn’t something we we had ever done before (seems crazy to think now).

Reactions: CYCLNST8 and HFCS

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
September 12, 1998. I was ten, and Iowa State had never beat Iowa in my lifetime. I was always an Iowa State fan over Iowa, but not by much. I’d cheer for both teams, but for ISU if they were playing each other since they were the ag school.

That day, I was filled with so much excitement I knew that Iowa State was my team full stop and never looked back.

Are you my brother? I was ten and this was the first game I ever went to. We lived in the quad cities at the time and there were absolutely no cyclone fans at school or anywhere around us.

When I saw that swirly blue logo on the field my heart felt the same as the day I asked my wife to marry me.

Reactions: NWICY and HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I grew up a big Iowa fan but ISU had good programs in all three majors I was interested in and Iowa didn’t.

I became a massive Cyclone basketball fan the very first time I entered Hilton in ‘97. I believe it was cream puff Arkansas Pinebluff but can’t be sure. I knew right away I had upgraded my basketball fandom.

I tried to be a fb fan right away but it was harder. Watching the road win against Iowa in 98 in the dorm and then going nuts all over campus probably killed whatever Hawkeye was left in me and solidified ISU sports in my blood.

Reactions: NWICY and ICCYFAN

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was 14 and actually at that game. Wild.

Ron Harper was killing us.

Anyway, my dad had recently changed jobs and was working St. Paul. Family was in the process of moving but mom and the rest of us still lived in Charles City. Dad got tickets and hit me up asking if I wanted to come up to see the game.

Mind you, I was already a Cyclone fan, dad's a grad, etc., so I said yes. Parents got me a ticket on a Greyhound bus to get to St. Paul. Crazy to think about now. Sending a 14 year old alone on a bus to St. Paul in the middle of the night. Eight hour bus ride with all the stops.

Dad met me around midnight in the down town St. Paul Greyhound bus terminal. Crashed at his place and the rest is history. It was a really great game.

If you squinted your eyes Ron Harper was a second Michael Jordan on defense those last couple Bulls dynasty Championships. Didn’t realize he was in ISU’s ncaa path, that was just before I came on board.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Same. My dad gave up season tickets to afford me and my sister. Grew up listening to Pete Taylor on the radio. It was probably Pete Taylor as much as anyone that made me a fan. There wasn't much to cheer about, but when something good happened, his calls were epic.

I listen to a lot of b12 games on varsity app, the Cincy radio guy gives me Pete Taylor nostalgia vibes sometimes.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and nrg4isu

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Dad took me to Hilton 1984 against OU with Waymond Tisdale. I was hooked at " Heeer's Johnny".
I was present - amazing atmosphere and great game - OU was loaded with Tisdale, Mookie Blaylock and a young Stacy King - in my memory they were #2 in the polls - many “Sit Down Tubbs” jeers that happy day!

Reactions: NWICY and RedDog

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My oldest brother enrolled when I was nine and have loved the university ever since. The Majors and Bruce football teams were fun to watch as a kid.

Reactions: NWICY

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
ISU beating Iowa at Kinnick in 2002 cemented my fanhood.
This was the game that cemented my hatred of the hawks. It was the first time I had ever attended a game in Iowa City, and it has been 110% **** Iowa ever since. Seeing that fanbase in their environment is eye opening.

Reactions: NWICY