What game or event made you a Cyclone for life?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The day I was accepted to attend. Fall of 1982

Reactions: NWICY

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
1. I attended an aunt's graduation from ISU when I was six. I decided that I wanted to attend ISU. 16 years later I was an ISU grad.

2. - Football - kind of a tie between two games:
1971 Bowl game vs LSU. The greatest goal line stand I have ever seen was ISU stopping Bert Jones and company 4 plays in a row. Matt Blair was a stud.

1972 ISU-NU 23-23 tie. I was sure that we would make the extra point to be at the huskers but the kicker missed. Ugh.

3. Basketball - easy -,hiring Jonny Orr in 1980. I was doing some decluttering last fall and came across some newspaper articles about the hiring of Orr.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFCS and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
1. I attended an aunt's graduation from ISU when I was six. I decided that I wanted to attend ISU. 16 years later I was an ISU grad.

2. - Football - kind of a tie between wot games:
1971 Bowl game vs LSU. The greatest goal line stand I have ever seen was ISU stopping Bert Jones and company 4 plays in a row. Matt Blair was a stud.

1972 ISU-NU 23-23 tie. I was sure that we would make the extra point to be at the huskers but the kicker missed. Ugh.

3. Basketball - easy -,hiring Jonny Orr in 1980. I was doing some decluttering last fall and came across some newspaper articles about the hiring of Orr.

Hope you saved those Orr articles. :)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Came to ISU fall of 80 but my Cyclone fandom was cemented the night Barry Stevens beat Missouri by making it rain from the corners. Years of listening to Pete and Eric on the call. Learning Pete died was the 1st time I ever teared up learning about someone that I never knew died. I listened to so many hours of FB and MBB on the radio it was like he was family. Never met him once but it was a sad day for me, didn't help that he was pretty darn young.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Came to ISU fall of 80 but my Cyclone fandom was cemented the night Barry Stevens beat Missouri by making it rain from the corners. Years of listening to Pete and Eric on the call. Learning Pete died was the 1st time I ever teared up learning about someone that I never knew died. I listened to so many hours of FB and MBB on the radio it was like he was family. Never met him once but it was a sad day for me, didn't help that he was pretty darn young.
Nah. You knew Pete. We all did.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I was born.

I dont ever remember not being a Cyclone Fan, not sure why we always were Cyclones, but its all I ever knew. My parents never went to college, so it wasnt that. Everyone in my extended fam were Suckeye fans, so I dont know why or where it started.

I grew up in a house that didnt have cable etc, (not that a lot of these channels were even a thing then anyway). We had ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. That was it. We didnt watch a lot of sports, seems weekends were full of other things, working and playing outside etc. In the later years maybe watch some Nascar or NFL some but not religiously. ISU was the only thing I wanted to watch and at that time they were rarely on.

My oldest sister went to ISU when I was about 7, and from then on it was solidified. I do remember watching a few ISU games back in those days, and absolutely loved it. I am sure it was probably ISUvsNebby or possibly vs Iowa in FB was about all we ever got to see at that time. This is possibly when the ISU fandom officially set in, but I do remember being Cyclone fans before she went too.

The older I got and the more I was able to follow ISU through news etc the more I did, and of course there was no other place I was going to go to school when that time came.

First actual memories of going to anything at ISU was for homecoming and Veishea and family weekend activities, when My sister was in school.

First game I attended was my Freshman year at ISU.

Reactions: HFCS

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
“Congratulations. You have been accepted to Iowa State University of Science and Technology”

(Born and raised in MN - was a gopher fan as a kid)

Reactions: NWICY

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
For me it was being born. Mom and Dad went to Iowa State. But before I ended up at Iowa State I saw some games live. Iowa State vs. Illinois in Chicago, Iowa State at Indiana, some ISU games and watching the Iiwa State/Iowa Lafester game were some, but being born was my biggest event to being a Cyclone.

Reactions: HFCS and drlove

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Came to ISU from a hawkeye family and a hawkeye fan myself but knew it was the better engineering school. 2004 I joined the marching band and we went to IC for the rivalry game. I was still mostly a hawkeye fan at this point. The crap those people did/said to us killed my hawkeye fandom. Then in 2005 we had the 23-3 game and I was 100% a Cyclone from then on.

Reactions: HFCS and MeanDean

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
It wasn't a game or event, it was multiple instances of hawk fans being jerks that made me switch fully to the good side. Used to be a casual fan of both teams.
Ditto.

Born in Iowa City, grew up in Eastern Iowa a hawkeye fan attending bball and football games. Just instance after instance of the hawk fanbase being intolerable wore on me as a kid. By the time I was in middle school I knew I wanted to go to Iowa State.

Fizer, Tinsley, Davis, Rosenfels, Wallace all helped to make the flip 100% to Cyclone Nation and I'll never go back. Plus once I had my first beer outside JTS I fell in love with the tailgating scene/atmosphere. Plus the campus was gorgeous conpared to UI. ISU always felt more authentic and organic to me...plus the fans would still show up even when the team stunk. Could never say the same in Iowa City and I always will respect that.

Reactions: HFCS and NWICY

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Signed up for classes at Iowa. The orientation and the whole deal. It was an absolute **** show. Obvious that no one cared about any of the kids looking to attend

Called ISU. Immediately talked to the school of business and had campus organizations calling for the next week

It was customer service that got me to ISU. A fantastic move.

Papajets

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2014
I have a mixture. Listened to Pete and Eric on the radio on those fall days in the late 70's/early 1980s, which started to build my attraction. Then I went to the bball game vs Missouri in 1983? when Barry Stevens was on fire and Hilton was rocking. Started college in 1984,no chance after that, I was hooked.

Reactions: HFCS