What is Papa's Corner???

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I just saw that a band I know is playing at a place in Ames called Papa's Corner? Is this the old People's location?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Many (myself included) will be curious to see how that place does. I read a story in the Daily last year that said, if I remember correctly, that the new owners were putting several hundred thousand dollars into that place. They said they had to first get the place up to code and then they were going to totally renovate it.

It's supposed to be a "more classy" establishment than the others on Welch. Supposedly a nice restaurant with good music (jazz, etc.). I'm sure it will have a costly cover associated with it. I just wonder how well a place will do on Welch that isn't somewhere that you go to get plowed.

I hope it does well and I like that people are putting money into that area because it desperately needs it.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Expensive and Jazz music in the heart of campustown???? Interesting business plan... Plus, having the word 'papa' in the title immediately makes me think of Papa's Planet, and thats not a good thing...

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
Expensive and Jazz music in the heart of campustown???? Interesting business plan... Plus, having the word 'papa' in the title immediately makes me think of Papa's Planet, and thats not a good thing...

Is the business genius that is Larry Smithson involved with this place?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I think a nicer establishement with a nice stage and sound system would be great. Even if there is a small cover. I like rock as much as anyone but would be thrilled to have a setting with Jazz every now and then. Classy!

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Is the business genius that is Larry Smithson involved with this place?

No, Larry wouldn't do business in Ames. Not enough mullets, GPC Menthols, and skanks around. Bascially, what I am saying is no EIU fans.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Just found out that the place DOES have a killer sound system and my band will be playing there sometime in April. Who knew?