What is Papa's Corner???

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
I just saw that a band I know is playing at a place in Ames called Papa's Corner? Is this the old People's location?

RIP Peoples... DOWN WITH PAPA'S CORNER! I refuse to go there and always will... they stole a part of my college career when they closed people's down...

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
We went there for lunch once this summer. It was noon and we were the only people in there. Funny, the service was STILL slow. Not much for selection on the menu and it wasn't all that good of food. The place definitely looks nice, but their business plan makes NO sense to me. If you are in campustown and try to market to anyone other than students, you are setting yourself up to fail.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
RIP Peoples... DOWN WITH PAPA'S CORNER! I refuse to go there and always will... they stole a part of my college career when they closed people's down...

I'm still pissed that they turned it into a bar in the first place. The drug store was the best!

jtwilson

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
They killed Peoples. You couldn't pay me to walk by the place, let alone step foot in it. They could have "Pearl Jam sings to hot naked girl coed night" with me being the guest of honor, and I would tell them to stick it.

I agree 100%... although if they had it on a Thursday and sold $3 mason jars, I would have to think twice about it... :)

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I was skeptical going into this place because the owners forced People's out to persue their own selfish dreams but they offered to let our band and a couple others to play there on the agreement that the bands would get the cover. The bands brought in sixty customers but the managers decided they were gonna keep the cover and pay the bands nothing. They have a $40,000 sound system that they refuse to turn up and they cut both of the headling bands off before their sets were done. Half the beer was sold out by the end of the night, leaving little beer selection and they had one slow bar tender to serve a somewhat busy bar. Wouldn't play there again and wouldn't go in this place again. The management are liars and the sound people are don't know what they're doing.

If this is true, that place is going to die soooooo fast.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
If this is true, that place is going to die soooooo fast.

So if this place shuts down quickly do they:

Ask the owners of People's if they want to reopen People's there?

Would People's even consider it after getting the boot?

Does the person/people who own Sips/Paddy's/Outlaws grab up another bar?

How about the owner of Capone's/(the place where Phuel was)/ Cafe Northwest open up another bar?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I haven't been there yet, but I definitely would. The guy that owns the firetruck is the manager of the whole thing I think. Not sure since I haven't talked to him about it since last year. He helped get Hickory Park where it is today and has done the same elsewhere.

I'm surprised it's not top notch yet. I knew that many would hate it for the People's factor, but the other comments concern me. From what it sounded, the whole block is owned by a family and it's free and clear of liens. So it would take a major move for it to close. New management or retooling is a possibility if it truly sucks, but I would highly doubt it going down for financial reasons.

Detasseler

Jul 16, 2007
Campus
I have reason to think that it will be in the dumper soon when I walk by on Friday and Saturday nights and can count the number of people in there on one hand, including bartenders and staff.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I have reason to think that it will be in the dumper soon when I walk by on Friday and Saturday nights and can count the number of people in there on one hand, including bartenders and staff.

I'm pretty sure the place charges a cover, which is the sole reason I won't ever attend

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
I haven't been there yet, but I definitely would. The guy that owns the firetruck is the manager of the whole thing I think. Not sure since I haven't talked to him about it since last year. He helped get Hickory Park where it is today and has done the same elsewhere.

I'm surprised it's not top notch yet. I knew that many would hate it for the People's factor, but the other comments concern me. From what it sounded, the whole block is owned by a family and it's free and clear of liens. So it would take a major move for it to close. New management or retooling is a possibility if it truly sucks, but I would highly doubt it going down for financial reasons.

FAIL

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

You FAIL even greater for responding to a post 1+ years ago to say FAIL

Reactions: aauummm

PackerClone

Nov 7, 2007
Ames
fyi the place is now headliners and is trying to get back to a peoples type feel. yeah papa's corner killed the regular crowd but the place now offers some great deals on drinks, food, and entertainment, especially live bands. Yeah there is a cover but if you get there before 10 or 11 it is guaranteed to be no more than 2 or 3 bucks tops and if that stops you from seeing live music and a great atmosphere than you really shouldn't be looking for live music.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Headliners > Papa's. They have a chance to recapture some of what People's did. Now that most of the Campustown bargoers were under age when People's was actually open, you don't really have the boycotters, that I guarantee contributed to Papa's Corner's demise.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron