What is Papa's Corner???

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Ah, but what color are you envisioning?

initial impression: white

and you'd probably paint your nails.

I'm not sure lacy elbow length gloves come in any other colors that white and black,:skeptical: we may need 4VR to weigh in on this.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Hopefully some of the students on this board can give us a rundown of what the place is like when it opens. I'm afraid my days on Welch Ave are few and far between now.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I read a story in the Daily last year that said, if I remember correctly, that the new owners were putting several hundred thousand dollars into that place.

Wow, can't wait till the first kid pukes all over the place!

It's supposed to be a "more classy" establishment than the others on Welch. Supposedly a nice restaurant with good music (jazz, etc.).

So they will have FAC only for College of Design students!:biglaugh: My roomate in that college always bitched about his studio so I can make fun of the College of design

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
We just did some work on the roof last week. That place has been one of the SLOWEST projects ever! The contractor in there has definitely dropped the plow and put it in low gear.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
initial impression: white

and you'd probably paint your nails.

I'm not sure lacy elbow length gloves come in any other colors that white and black,:skeptical: we may need 4VR to weigh in on this.

I would like a dance off between you two! :yes:

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
They killed Peoples. You couldn't pay me to walk by the place, let alone step foot in it. They could have "Pearl Jam sings to hot naked girl coed night" with me being the guest of honor, and I would tell them to stick it.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
They killed Peoples. You couldn't pay me to walk by the place, let alone step foot in it. They could have "Pearl Jam sings to hot naked girl coed night" with me being the guest of honor, and I would tell them to stick it.

If this is ever a problem, I will stand in for you.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Ok, I am bringing this thread to life again. My band is scheduled to play there in a couple weeks and I wondered if anyone else has been in there since this thread started and could give me any insight into what kind of place it is, the crowds they get, etc.

CloneB18

Feb 26, 2008
I saw a band there a few weekends ago with some friends and it was a good time. Band was pretty decent and the place looks really nice. There was a $2 cover when we got there, but I think some who showed up later said they paid $5. Kind of limited seating, but I'd definitely go back there.

freddyknuckles

Aug 18, 2008
I was skeptical going into this place because the owners forced People's out to persue their own selfish dreams but they offered to let our band and a couple others to play there on the agreement that the bands would get the cover. The bands brought in sixty customers but the managers decided they were gonna keep the cover and pay the bands nothing. They have a $40,000 sound system that they refuse to turn up and they cut both of the headling bands off before their sets were done. Half the beer was sold out by the end of the night, leaving little beer selection and they had one slow bar tender to serve a somewhat busy bar. Wouldn't play there again and wouldn't go in this place again. The management are liars and the sound people are don't know what they're doing.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I was skeptical going into this place because the owners forced People's out to persue their own selfish dreams but they offered to let our band and a couple others to play there on the agreement that the bands would get the cover. The bands brought in sixty customers but the managers decided they were gonna keep the cover and pay the bands nothing. They have a $40,000 sound system that they refuse to turn up and they cut both of the headling bands off before their sets were done. Half the beer was sold out by the end of the night, leaving little beer selection and they had one slow bar tender to serve a somewhat busy bar. Wouldn't play there again and wouldn't go in this place again. The management are liars and the sound people are don't know what they're doing.

That's totally lame. I actually dislike Papa's with a passion and if they seriously spent hundreds of thousands on that place, they wasted their money. The bartenders were not impressive at all. I think closing a place for a significant amount of time forces customers to find a different place to go to bars. When they open again and it's different, they tend to not really come back.

Peoples used to be one of my favorite bars in town, and often times when I went it was packed. I've been in Papa's when a band was there and were maybe 5 or 6 people max. I left after 1 beer....

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
I have been there only once or twice and didn't like it. I actually went when it was quite busy which made it suck more becasue the bartenders suck. Definately not a place that I will be going to when I visit ames anymore.

BRING BACK PEOPLES!!!!!!!!!!