What Wave?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Listening to the AM 1600 sports talk show on the radio here in the CR area on my way home from work this afternoon was delightful.

They had on the guy that covers the Utah State football team that plays Iowa this weekend. One of the hosts asks him.... "Is your team ready for the wave at the end of the 1st quarter?". The guy had no idea what in the world they were talking about. So they said... "you know... where the fans and the team wave at the kids in the hospital?" He still had no clue what they were yapping about... so they moved on to another topic.

Then, after the interview ended and he hung up... they went on about how they couldn't believe he didn't know what the wave was.

This sums up Iowa fans just perfectly. They think the world revolves around them, and everyone cares about Iowa football.... when the truth is 90% of the country doesn't know anything about Iowa football and could not possibly care any less about them.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
To be fair it is a little weird that he hasn't heard of it. I'm not a Wisconsin fan but I know that they play Jump Around after the third quarter, nor am I a Virginia Tech fan but I know that they come onto the field to Enter Sandman. Seems like someone heavily involved with the sport of college football would have a cursory understanding of the traditions of various teams. Maybe since he's a coach he's busy and preoccupied with his team though?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Seems like a bit of a reach here. It's gotten national pub for years now, and either way I'd think making the day of some kids and families going through very tough circumstances is something everyone could get behind.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I’m not surprised at all.

There are so many games to watch on a weekend, I can understand not watching Iowa games if you are in Utah.

Was refreshing to have relatives visit from Colorado who had never heard of CC when they saw butter CC. They had heard of Warner and Jack Trice of course.

The rest of the country did cover KF Racism, the sequel, so people outside of Iowa might have heard of that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Seems like a bit of a reach here. It's gotten national pub for years now, and either way I'd think making the day of some kids and families going through very tough circumstances is something everyone could get behind.

It's an objectively cool thing but only Iowa fans would be shocked that Utah State media doesn't know about it and obsess over it. They might not know about your pink locker room either.

To keep it in the MWC family...I don't think either of those are as widely known as Boise State's blue turf, just to an Iowa fan they are some ultimate famous thing.

If you asked people associated with even more self absorbed and bigger team like say Alabama, I bet most of their media people don't know much about wave/pink lockers.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Where did I say I wasn't behind it? I never said that. What I said has nothing to do with that.

Iowa fans just think everyone in the country knows about them, and most don't. They don't care about Iowa or Iowa State. How many people in the country know about Jack Trice? Very small percent.... but they've run his story on ESPN at least twice, maybe more. But I don't give a rat's behind if everyone in the country doesn't know who he is?

But Iowa fans get all butthurt if there are people that don't know about the wave... just dumb arrogance and ego.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
The Wave is cool, and a great thing to do. Football fans in general and Iowa fans should be proud of it.

The problem is Iowa fans have turned this into snobbery. If you don’t bow down to everything Wave related…they deem you a despicable person… which just isn’t true.

Something doesn’t have to be universally Viral… in order to be special, unique, interesting, and inspirational… more of a general society problem today I guess.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The hosts of the show were wondering if the Utah State team would be prepared for it? Prepared for what? It would take 5 secs to be told to wave to the kids in the hospital when the 1st quarter starts... you don't have to prepare for it.

And what if they don't know anything about it and don't wave? I guess they'd probably get batteries or drinks thrown at them or something like some Cyclone players have had done to them maybe?

The Wave is a great thing... no doubt about that at all... and nobody on here is debating that. It's the fact that all these Iowa fans think everyone in the country knows about all these great traditions that Iowa has, and they should know to follow along.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And what if they don't know anything about it and don't wave? I guess they'd probably get batteries or drinks thrown at them or something like some Cyclone players have had done to them maybe?

You have to love the juxtaposition of the wave with the guy who throws batteries at oppponents.

I'd like to sit down with a fan who is proud of both and interview them. I mean how does that person even function in society, hold down a job, tie their shoes, remember to breath, etc...

You wave at some sick kids fighting adversity usually shown on TV...then 2-3 quarters later you're trying to make someone permanently blind because you don't like their team.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Wave is cool, and a great thing to do. Football fans in general and Iowa fans should be proud of it.

The problem is Iowa fans have turned this into snobbery. If you don’t bow down to everything Wave related…they deem you a despicable person… which just isn’t true.

Something doesn’t have to be universally Viral… in order to be special, unique, interesting, and inspirational… more of a general society problem today I guess.

I'm a college football fan but if I didn't grow up around Iowa/Nebraska I'm not positive I'd know about it.

I bet most Pac and SEC fans don't know about it. Probably a lot of the southern Big 12 team fans don't know about it. Are SEC fans really watching Iowa home games or ever watching Iowa if they aren't in a bowl vs SEC teams? It's not like they are Ohio State and the big game of the week almost every week.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It's an objectively cool thing but only Iowa fans would be shocked that Utah State media doesn't know about it and obsess over it. They might not know about your pink locker room either.

To keep it in the MWC family...I don't think either of those are as widely known as Boise State's blue turf, just to an Iowa fan they are some ultimate famous thing.

If you asked people associated with even more self absorbed and bigger team like say Alabama, I bet most of their media people don't know much about wave/pink lockers.
There've already been a few ISU fans in here surprised a member of the college football media didn't know about it. I don't think anyone is expecting other fanbases or team program media to "obsess" over it.

This just kind of comes off as fandom on the hunt for something to be p*ssed about.

• Winner
Reactions: iahawks

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There've already been a few ISU fans in here surprised a member of the college football media didn't know about it. I don't think anyone is expecting other fanbases or team program media to "obsess" over it.

This just kind of comes off as fandom on the hunt for something to be p*ssed about.

I'm sure some other fans know the story of Jack Trice or what our stadium is named for.

It would be cringe if I acted shocked Utah State media people didn't know about it.

The point is only an ISU fan would be shocked that way...same with wave or pink locker rooms. Pretty much every time ISU is on national TV they do a piece on Jack Trice, it would be our version of that.

Not pissed, but it's definitely a "cringe" thing.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

This just kind of comes off as fandom on the hunt for something to be p*ssed over.

Would you be upset if the opposing team actually got in team huddles at the end of the 1st quarter and worked on some adjustments to their game plan instead of waving?

I actually don't think you'd have an issue with that because you're one of the reasonable Iowa fans. You probably didn't boo Petras during pre-game player introductions either I'd guess.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm sure some other fans know the story of Jack Trice or what our stadium is named for.

It would be cringe if I acted shocked Utah State media people didn't know about it.

The point is only an ISU fan would be shocked that way...same with wave or pink locker rooms. Pretty much every time ISU is on national TV they do a piece on Jack Trice, it would be our version of that.

Not pissed, but it's definitely a "cringe" thing.
I wasn't referring to you with that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

At the Iowa game last year, we turned and waved for awhile. What seemed to be a generally longer than normal time of waving, my son quit. Some dude wanted to fight my son since my son felt a minute or two of waving was enough. It is an awkwardly long time, but if you don't wave the whole song, they can get mad at you. It's a nice thing, but they do get butthurt a lot about small things.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wasn't referring to you with that.

I'm just weird and it's a weird thing to talk about.

Stuff like this can get weird fast. If you've seen the Curb episode where everyone goes over the top about "thank you for your service" and they're basically ready to kill Larry because he doesn't say it.