What Wave?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Just curious. I’ve seen t-shirts around for the wave. We’re those from the university, and if so, did they give any or all the proceeds to the hospital or the families of children at the hospital?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Seems like a bit of a reach here. It's gotten national pub for years now, and either way I'd think making the day of some kids and families going through very tough circumstances is something everyone could get behind.

Eh. A lot of things get national publicity. So much in fact most things are forgotten after a while. Nothing against the wave though. It's a neat thing to do.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Yawn same thing with the ANF ****...actually meant something in the beginning but quickly got turned into a look-at-me deal. I think it's funny he had no clue because the claim that it's been covered nationally by the news and ESPN is supposed to mean anything. I couldn't tell you the vast majority of the stuff shown on ESPN anymore or what they talk about on national news because I don't watch it.

I feel terrible for those kid and parents up there. Before that was built when I'd have to go for appointments I'd have to walk by their old childrens hospital part and it would just rip your heart out seeing such youngins having to go through that kind of stuff.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
The first time was neat, it was special. As a parent I could not possibly imagine the pain, anxiety and fear they are going through. For 30 seconds every time it brightens a child's day and as a parent I can only imagine the warmth it would bring me to see my sick child smile for 30 seconds.

Now-- I feel gone is the original intention. It has been Hollywoodized and exploded by the University of Iowa Athletic Department. It is no longer waving as intended. It has become "HEY EVERYONE look at us waving!!!, Hey camara guy get a picture of us waving again, like we do every home game, here in Kinnick Stadium at the University of Iowa in Iowa City Iowa. Yep WE sure are waving again to the kids in the hospital!!! One of the best new traditions in football is us waving at the kids. Can't wait to wave again next home game!!"

Sometimes the most powerful actions you can do without any recognition at all. Those are the heartfelt and genuine ones. Those who continually need the recognition are shallow and in it for alternative motives.
Thank you! I feel the same and have tried explaining that to my wife and she just doesn’t get what I mean.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
As a cancer survivor and someone who lost his wife to cancer, when the “Wave” first started I thought it was a great thing, a fantastic thing. At that time, it was about the children fighting cancer. But now Hawkeye fans have turned it into more about their football program. The original idea has faded into the past.

Instead of waving their hands and cell phones, all the while thinking about how great this is for Hawkeye Football. Why not use that phone and each person donate $5.00 every game to Cancer Research. Make the “Wave” about actually helping those kids and their families in the fight to cure cancer.

Think about it, 69,000 people donating $5.00 each game towards a cancer cure. That’s $345,000 each game. Times seven home games a season. That’s $2,415,000 for the season to cancer research.
Now that would be a “Hawkeye Tradition” that everyone would support.

I would guess some fans would sour about actually doing something that could help the kids and families.

It's a weird thing.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Just curious. I’ve seen t-shirts around for the wave. We’re those from the university, and if so, did they give any or all the proceeds to the hospital or the families of children at the hospital?

The original wave shirts donated a portion to the hospital I believe. Not sure about the current versions.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So, This Saturday it is likely that the Iowa players and fans wave east fron Jack Trice at the end of the 1st quarter? Do you join in or not?

I think its a neat tradition, but it should stay in Iowa City.
That's their thing, seems like calling it a tradition is wrong, it hasn't been around long. More of a gesture. It stays in IC.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Does Wisconsin jump around in visiting stadiums? Of course not

Does Virginia tech have visiting stadiums play Enter Sandman for Virginia Tech? Of course not.

Does visiting stadiums allow Ralphie the Buffalo run wild for Colorado games. Of course not

Should Iowa and fans wave to the direction of a hospital 110+ miles away? Of course not. If they did, maybe Iowa State should tell Iowa they need to play juicy wiggle in IC next year

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Does Wisconsin jump around in visiting stadiums? Of course not

Does Virginia tech have visiting stadiums play Enter Sandman for Virginia Tech? Of course not.

Does visiting stadiums allow Ralphie the Buffalo run wild for Colorado games. Of course not

Should Iowa and fans wave to the direction of a hospital 110+ miles away? Of course not. If they did, maybe Iowa State should tell Iowa they need to play juicy wiggle in IC next year
"Oh you hate sick children and poor families that have to go through that" - actual reply from a mouth breathing Iowa Fan

Reactions: Cyhig

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Fareway last weekend asked if I wanted to round up for 'the Iowa Wave'. Not the hospital. I, uh, no?

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
The best part is that it's not a genuine question, they were looking to get their egos stroked by the Utah State guy. What does it even mean to get ready for The Wave©®™? They wanted him to fawn over how wonderful a tradition it is and how excited the coaches and players are, but they got a huh?

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
So, This Saturday it is likely that the Iowa players and fans wave east fron Jack Trice at the end of the 1st quarter? Do you join in or not?

I think its a neat tradition, but it should stay in Iowa City.
I refuse. If the shoe were on the other foot, I promise you that Hok fans would not wave for anything ISU.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It’s cool and a good thing but turning it into something beyond what makes it cool by being all conceded about it is the most Iowa thing ever.

It would be like making it rain at a different bar other than a strip club. I’ll wave if I’m ever at kinnick but not at Jack trice

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron