What Wave?

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I'm not p*ssed about it at all... I thought it was funny. He had no idea what the wave was when Iowa fans expect that everyone should know about it.

I do get p*ssed at what the U of I Hospital nurses and the people visiting others in the hospital have to go through on gamedays at Iowa though. I've spoken to plenty of them. They do not like game days when they have to park way far away so that tailgaters can park in the parkades, and then they have to walk through these tailgates and get all kinds of horrible things yelled at them from all the drunks on their way to work.

But they gotta make all that money from the tailgaters! Screw the nurses and the family members actually visiting those kids in the hospital, am I right?
I heard the parking garage smells like stale beer and urine all football season.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You guys would be surprised by how much coaches are just focused on their "bubble".

They get to the office at 5 AM, and are coaching, scouting, recruiting or working out until 10/11 PM. Most of them don't have much of an idea what is going on outside of their own conference. So it's easy to see why a coach from a small school in Utah would have an idea about this.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You guys would be surprised by how much coaches are just focused on their "bubble".

They get to the office at 5 AM, and are coaching, scouting, recruiting or working out until 10/11 PM. Most of them don't have much of an idea what is going on outside of their own conference. So it's easy to see why a coach from a small school in Utah would have an idea about this.

It wasn't their coach... it was their 'John Walters'.

And no.. he was not trolling... he had no clue what they were talking about. He paused and then said something like... "what?.... do all the fans do the wave at the end of 1st quarter or something?". And then they explained it to him that they don't do the wave, they actually wave at the kids in the hospital.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The best thing about the wave is that it only requires one hand to wave. That way the Hok fans can use their free hand to pat themselves on the back at the same time.
Which of the two are they pulling out of their pants?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It wasn't their coach... it was their 'John Walters'.

And no.. he was not trolling... he had no clue what they were talking about. He paused and then said something like... "what?.... do all the fans do the wave at the end of 1st quarter or something?". And then they explained it to him that they don't do the wave, they actually wave at the kids in the hospital.

Sorry I misread the original post. But my point still stands, why would the voice of Utah St care about some stupid wave in Iowa?

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I'm just weird and it's a weird thing to talk about.

Stuff like this can get weird fast. If you've seen the Curb episode where everyone goes over the top about "thank you for your service" and they're basically ready to kill Larry because he doesn't say it.
The "thank you for your service" thing does get wierd at times. Most of the time it's sincere. I say something along the lines of You're welcome and please call your representatives and ask them to increase funding for the VA.

Some times it comes across as forced and they are doing it to make themselves look good. That gets old and wierd real fast. I'm thinking "Do you have any clue about what you are thanking me for?"

One time I was having a bad day. I responded with "No need to thank me. The honor and pleasure was all mine. Where else are you legally allowed to kill people? The unlimited ammo and free explosives is just icing on top of the cake." I smiled. Shook his had. And walked away mumbling something like "Those were good times. Get some. Get some."

The guy needed a forklift to pick his jaw up off the floor. I still haven't lost my dark sense of humor.

:mccaffery::chris::mccaffery::chris::mccaffery:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The "thank you for your service" thing does get wierd at times. Most of the time it's sincere. I say something along the lines of You're welcome and please call your representatives and ask them to increase funding for the VA.

Some times it comes across as forced and they are doing it to make themselves look good. That gets old and wierd real fast. I'm thinking "Do you have any clue about what you are thanking me for?"

One time I was having a bad day. I responded with "No need to thank me. The honor and pleasure was all mine. Where else are you legally allowed to kill people? The unlimited ammo and free explosives is just icing on top of the cake." I smiled. Shook his had. And walked away mumbling something like "Those were good times. Get some. Get some."

The guy needed a forklift to pick his jaw up off the floor. I still haven't lost my dark sense of humor.

:mccaffery::chris::mccaffery::chris::mccaffery:

The Iowa / Nebraska Hero’s game comes to mind there. How can we promote our promotion of the military without really any effort on our part to do any sort of good for the military? Goes right among with their how do we promote our promotion of farmers without actually doing anything for said farmers? There’s a trend here

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I've shared this anecdote, but it gets to the OP's point.

I was watching a Steelers game with a couple of my Hawkeye friends a few years ago. My friend, who pretty much only watches Iowa games with any intense interest, said without irony, "Ahh, they took our jerseys!". They really do think the world revolves around Iowa football.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Are there funds raised, even like donation buckets at Kinnick or something along with this?

This was always my question. Why not use this emotional time to add a financial benefit to those in need as well. While the waive is going on, advertise a link where people can venmo funds directly for children's care and research. Then at the end of the third quarter announce to everyone the funds they collected for the kids. If everyone in the stadium just donates $5, that would be a $350,000 gift.

NorthIowaCy

May 10, 2022
As a cancer survivor and someone who lost his wife to cancer, when the “Wave” first started I thought it was a great thing, a fantastic thing. At that time, it was about the children fighting cancer. But now Hawkeye fans have turned it into more about their football program. The original idea has faded into the past.

Instead of waving their hands and cell phones, all the while thinking about how great this is for Hawkeye Football. Why not use that phone and each person donate $5.00 every game to Cancer Research. Make the “Wave” about actually helping those kids and their families in the fight to cure cancer.

Think about it, 69,000 people donating $5.00 each game towards a cancer cure. That’s $345,000 each game. Times seven home games a season. That’s $2,415,000 for the season to cancer research.
Now that would be a “Hawkeye Tradition” that everyone would support.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
As a cancer survivor and someone who lost his wife to cancer, when the “Wave” first started I thought it was a great thing, a fantastic thing. At that time, it was about the children fighting cancer. But now Hawkeye fans have turned it into more about their football program. The original idea has faded into the past.

Instead of waving their hands and cell phones, all the while thinking about how great this is for Hawkeye Football. Why not use that phone and each person donate $5.00 every game to Cancer Research. Make the “Wave” about actually helping those kids and their families in the fight to cure cancer.

Think about it, 69,000 people donating $5.00 each game towards a cancer cure. That’s $345,000 each game. Times seven home games a season. That’s $2,415,000 for the season to cancer research.
Heck, do a 50/50 raffle like at professional baseball games. Half the pot goes to a lucky fan, the other half to UI Children’s Hospital.

That said, I imagine there are NCAA rules against raffles/gambling at college football games (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Or at least... giving up their tailgating parking spot in the Hospital Parkade to the family, or the nurse, of one of those kids?

They should have sold Kinnick to the Hospital a long time ago and built a new stadium on the outskirts of IC... but that was never going to happen. Students wouldn't have went to the games then. If they can't walk to Carver, do you think they would drive to the football stadium?

• Winner
Reactions: DarkStar

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Or at least... giving up their tailgating parking spot in the Hospital Parkade to the family, or the nurse, of one of those kids?

They should have sold Kinnick to the Hospital a long time ago and built a new stadium on the outskirts of IC... but that was never going to happen. Students wouldn't have went to the games then. If they can't walk to Carver, do you think they would drive to the football stadium?

If they’re too drunk to walk to Carver, you want them to get behind the wheel?

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
The first time was neat, it was special. As a parent I could not possibly imagine the pain, anxiety and fear they are going through. For 30 seconds every time it brightens a child's day and as a parent I can only imagine the warmth it would bring me to see my sick child smile for 30 seconds.

Now-- I feel gone is the original intention. It has been Hollywoodized and exploded by the University of Iowa Athletic Department. It is no longer waving as intended. It has become "HEY EVERYONE look at us waving!!!, Hey camara guy get a picture of us waving again, like we do every home game, here in Kinnick Stadium at the University of Iowa in Iowa City Iowa. Yep WE sure are waving again to the kids in the hospital!!! One of the best new traditions in football is us waving at the kids. Can't wait to wave again next home game!!"

Sometimes the most powerful actions you can do without any recognition at all. Those are the heartfelt and genuine ones. Those who continually need the recognition are shallow and in it for alternative motives.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012

Well said man. Well said. I response a little bit ago before reading yours was the exact same thing......just not as well worded as yours.

Reactions: CycloneOE