What Wave?

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
So, This Saturday it is likely that the Iowa players and fans wave east fron Jack Trice at the end of the 1st quarter? Do you join in or not?

I think its a neat tradition, but it should stay in Iowa City.
Half the fans will probably not be in the stadium yet. Sorry, too soon?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So, This Saturday it is likely that the Iowa players and fans wave east fron Jack Trice at the end of the 1st quarter? Do you join in or not?

The year after their very first one, there were actually iowa fans who wanted everyone in JTS to turn and wave toward Iowa City. Like WTF. It's your tradition, you keep it in IC. And try not to break your arms patting yourselves on the back for it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The Wave is awesome, can't imagine how great it is for the kids and families on the other side but it's only been around for 5 years. I don't think its crazy that someone hadn't heard of it. It's a stretch to call it a tradition yet.

I think it also points out that college football coaches aren't really in tune with whats going on in the rest of the college football world. Most bury their heads in their work. They don't have time to be a fan.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

We went through this last time the game was in Ames. Why are our own fans rehashing this argument?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The year after their very first one, there were actually iowa fans who wanted everyone in JTS to turn and wave toward Iowa City. Like WTF. It's your tradition, you keep it in IC. And try not to break your arms patting yourselves on the back for it.
The kids can’t see it so doing it at away games makes it more about the Hawkeye fans than the sick kids.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
It would be like making it rain at a different bar other than a strip club. I’ll wave if I’m ever at kinnick but not at Jack trice
Prepare to be underwhelmed. I’m glad they do it for the same reasons everyone else does, but it was shockingly underwhelming to me

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
To be fair it is a little weird that he hasn't heard of it. I'm not a Wisconsin fan but I know that they play Jump Around after the third quarter, nor am I a Virginia Tech fan but I know that they come onto the field to Enter Sandman. Seems like someone heavily involved with the sport of college football would have a cursory understanding of the traditions of various teams. Maybe since he's a coach he's busy and preoccupied with his team though?
It's not weird at all. College football diehards, midwest states/fans, and media are well aware of the wave. I bet if I asked 50 of my closest friends and family 'what is the Iowa wave?' 90% would have no clue what I'm talking about.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha

No.

If you want to do an ISU thing, hoist a bush light in memory of the ISU fan that donated all that beer money to the hospital.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Seems like a bit of a reach here. It's gotten national pub for years now, and either way I'd think making the day of some kids and families going through very tough circumstances is something everyone could get behind.
I can get behind that.

What I can't get behind is:
- nepotism at every turn in the athletic department
- Rhabdo Gate
- Brian Ferentz making racist comments and still being one of the highest paid state employees. There are head coaches at the HS level all across the country that could do a better job than that clown of a football coach.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
The first time was neat, it was special. As a parent I could not possibly imagine the pain, anxiety and fear they are going through. For 30 seconds every time it brightens a child's day and as a parent I can only imagine the warmth it would bring me to see my sick child smile for 30 seconds.

Now-- I feel gone is the original intention. It has been Hollywoodized and exploded by the University of Iowa Athletic Department. It is no longer waving as intended. It has become "HEY EVERYONE look at us waving!!!, Hey camara guy get a picture of us waving again, like we do every home game, here in Kinnick Stadium at the University of Iowa in Iowa City Iowa. Yep WE sure are waving again to the kids in the hospital!!! One of the best new traditions in football is us waving at the kids. Can't wait to wave again next home game!!"

Sometimes the most powerful actions you can do without any recognition at all. Those are the heartfelt and genuine ones. Those who continually need the recognition are shallow and in it for alternative motives.
Well said. If people want to make a real difference, volunteer at the hospital. I was in the hospital last week (Mayo Clinic), and they allowed my wife to being our puppy on the recovery floor. The lead nurse on the floor saw the puppy and asked if my wife could have the puppy visit a person who was having a tough time. She of course said yes. Turns out this poor man was in his 80’s, had just arrived to the Mayo Clinic 3 days before the Maui fires. This person’s home was only a block away from being destroyed. But everything around him is gone. There’s not much to return to. On top of that, he was having one set back after another with his heart surgery. This man said seeing and playing with the puppy was the happiest he’s been in 3 weeks

People, it truly is the little things that brighten people’s days. Waving is all good, but it’s something the kids expect now. There are plenty of options available to make a real difference for the kids in the hospital

Reactions: Bocy

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

I wonder if anyone important might be sitting in the east stands anywhere, who might want to be there until the end of the first quarter because, well, just because.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron