Where did the wrestlers that left end up?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Yes, he signed along with Allar and Ethan Smith. Gomez, Coleman, and Leisure also in that class. Have to give KJ credit for bringing that class together, and have to give Dresser credit for keeping the last three here in Ames.

Totally agree. That was a monster class KJ signed. Did Montanona also sign, or was it just that he was probably until KJ was let go?

I’m not the only one who likes that Vega ended up with a Big12 team, am I?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The one thing you can't deny is that KJ's staff could recruit. Not sure if all or one in particular was the key. It would have been great to have part of that group for recruiting, but the mess that occurred during that period meant that it had to be a complete house cleaning.

• Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Verleeken is tough but he’s going to be challenged to crack that line up. Allars has some struggles with injury early. I’m surprised he’s not the starter at MN this year. I agree on Smith. He will be a good one.

Another kid we lost was Maldonado (sp?). I’ve seen his name in some open tournaments for OU.

Losing Verk still stings for me, and like you said, as good as he is, PSU is stacked for a LONG time at the weights he could go with. They are going to have to get real creative with redshirts for Verk to see the lineup, I’m thinking.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Totally agree. That was a monster class KJ signed. Did Montanona also sign, or was it just that he was probably until KJ was let go?

Mantanona committed but never signed, I'm 99% positive on that.

And I agree, I'm happy that Vega landed on his feet. Seemed like a good kid who just committed to a coach that was no longer here.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

Mantanano never signed. Verballed and then wanted to take a official visit to Oklahoma after Rosselli was hired at Oklahoma and KJ said he could take the visit but his scholarship is gone at Iowa State. There was lots of flack about how that went down.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
https://iawrestle.com/2016/10/04/iowa-state-and-anthony-mantanona-parting-ways/

Big, breaking news out of Ames as it appears that Iowa State and California prep Anthony Mantanona may parting ways after sources confirm that the Cyclones have withdrawn their scholarship offer to the No. 6 ranked 170 pound wrestler in the nation.

It doesn’t seem all that long ago that Iowa State made the big recruiting splash when they landed Jarod Verkleeren, Jake Allar, and Mantanona all in the same weekend. According to our source, Iowa State pulled Mantanona’s scholarship offer after the California native took a visit to Oklahoma this past weekend. Our own Lars Underbakke had the news on Twitter first that ISU and Mantanona may be parting ways:

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Losing Verk still stings for me, and like you said, as good as he is, PSU is stacked for a LONG time at the weights he could go with. They are going to have to get real creative with redshirts for Verk to see the lineup, I’m thinking.

I was looking at their roster yesterday because I was wondering who their replacements were for their current studs, and I thought to myself that maybe Berge would bump to 157 to fill for Nolf, and Verk could man the 149 spot. However, if they bump Nick Lee to 149 to make room for RBY/Teasdale/Teske at 125-141, he would have to win a very tough wrestle-off. If that happens, maybe Verk goes to 157 as well, since he's probably closer to Berge than he is to Lee. That's all speculation though.

On another note, PSU seemingly has holes at 184, 197, and HWT next year. Both heavies are gone, along with Rasheed and Nickal. Surprisingly, they don't have Fargo national champions behind them, and they don't have any notable commits in the 182/195/220/HWT classes. They have Mason Manville behind Mark Hall to go 174 or 184, but 197 and HWT will be relatively weak for them next year.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but thought it was interesting that with the logjam they have at the lower weights, their upperweights have the polar opposite problem. Cael will probably bring in a couple transfers to make this all moot anyway though.

EDIT: I forgot about Aaron Brooks since he's at the OTC and not on Flo's rankings, but he's 182 if I remember, and most likely a 184 guy at PSU next year.

Last edited:

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Jake Allar stings the most for me. We have the biggest hole at 165 with no big recruit to fill it. Just adding him to our line-up this year would be a huge upgrade.
Good for Vega, will be fun to watch him get back at it. Right behind Mackall on the podium :D

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I was looking at their roster yesterday because I was wondering who their replacements were for their current studs, and I thought to myself that maybe Berge would bump to 157 to fill for Nolf, and Verk could man the 149 spot. However, if they bump Nick Lee to 149 to make room for RBY/Teasdale/Teske at 125-141, he would have to win a very tough wrestle-off. If that happens, maybe Verk goes to 157 as well, since he's probably closer to Berge than he is to Lee. That's all speculation though.

On another note, PSU seemingly has holes at 184, 197, and HWT next year. Both heavies are gone, along with Rasheed and Nickal. Surprisingly, they don't have Fargo national champions behind them, and they don't have any notable commits in the 182/195/220/HWT classes. They have Mason Manville behind Mark Hall to go 174 or 184, but 197 and HWT will be relatively weak for them next year.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but thought it was interesting that with the logjam they have at the lower weights, their upperweights have the polar opposite problem. Cael will probably bring in a couple transfers to make this all moot anyway though.

Didn’t Teasdale leave Penn State recently?

Maybe with that departure, things open up for Verk.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

Berge is a big 149 and struggles to make weight. He is a 149 this year only. He will be up at 157 next year to take over for Nolf.
Teasdale or Teske will be 125 this year with the other redshirting then vice versa next year. Nick Lee and RBY both will have a redshirt to burn after this year if needed too.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008

EDIT: I forgot about Aaron Brooks since he's at the OTC and not on Flo's rankings, but he's 182 if I remember, and most likely a 184 guy at PSU next year.
Mike Beard is in the wings for one of those upper weights, isnt' he?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

Looks like you figured it out. They have Aaron Brooks at the OTC who will fill in at 184 right away and Michael Beard who is grey-shirting right now. Also have Seth Nevills at hwt who is grey-shirting right now too and Cassar will have 1 more year left.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

And I think they have Beard at 197 and applying for 6th year for Nevills

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Ethan Smith had a nice win last week vs. #9 Christiansen from Wisconsin even though he's tOSU's backup at '74 right now.

It's quite a statement on how far our program had fallen that not even that monster recruiting class waiting in the wings could save KJ's job. As others have stated, losing any/all of them stung, but Allar could fill the most obvious void right now so that's the one that hurts the most in the short term.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron