Where did the wrestlers that left end up?

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Looks like you figured it out. They have Aaron Brooks at the OTC who will fill in at 184 right away and Michael Beard who is grey-shirting right now. Also have Seth Nevills at hwt who is grey-shirting right now too and Cassar will have 1 more year left.

And I think they have Beard at 197 and applying for 6th year for Nevills

Good call. Didn't know that about Beard. Should've known better than to doubt Cael!

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Good call. Didn't know that about Beard. Should've known better than to doubt Cael!

Cael has it completely dialed in on the mat and on the recruiting trail. The beast is just feeding itself now. Depending on how long he wants to coach, it's very conceivable that he'll surpass Gable's 15 team titles. I don't know that he'll ever get 9 in a row, and I seriously doubt he'll get the conference titles Gable had, but if this season keeps going the way it looks, he'll have his 8th natty before he turns 40.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonenation5

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Like many have said, I think Allar is the only one who would help right now. And even with that, injuries seem to have gotten the better of him for the past year and he hasn't quite had the success expected from him. Seems to be happening more and more at Minnesota as of recent. Maybe a spot in the ISU room would have done wonders for him.

Storr had a great tournament out in Vegas. But, with the way he left and the events surrounding it, that was best for the program and the wrestler.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Cael has it completely dialed in on the mat and on the recruiting trail. The beast is just feeding itself now. Depending on how long he wants to coach, it's very conceivable that he'll surpass Gable's 15 team titles. I don't know that he'll ever get 9 in a row, and I seriously doubt he'll get the conference titles Gable had, but if this season keeps going the way it looks, he'll have his 8th natty before he turns 40.

So is this good for wrestling? I have always said it is bad for a sport when one team dominates it for a long time. Said it about Iowa (Iowa fans said it was good for wrestling) and would have said it about ISU. Good for us but bad for the sport if that happened.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
So is this good for wrestling? I have always said it is bad for a sport when one team dominates it for a long time. Said it about Iowa (Iowa fans said it was good for wrestling) and would have said it about ISU. Good for us but bad for the sport if that happened.
I don’t know. I think there is more money and attention on wrestling right now than ever. It helps that PSU has a very entertaining style of wrestling for the most part. Would need some type of evidence that it is bad.

It is forcing Iowa for example to invest millions in a brand new wrestling facility, TOSU has one on the way as well. ISU just forked a ton of cash to start competing again. ESPN ratings are great, Flowrestling seems to be doing very well.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

A few years ago I probably would have said no, but now I'm not so sure and honestly there's plenty of discussion to be had on both sides. First of all, love 'em or hate 'em, Penn State's guys are amazingly fun to watch. For the casual fan, that's the best way to draw them in. Also, the media loves a dynasty and while they get the vast majority of the attention, Penn State's dominance leads to coverage of the sport overall. Also, it's makes other programs raise their game just to try to keep up. Paraphrasing Dresser, but remember when he said he wasn't looking at Iowa, he was looking at Penn State? It's good to have a juggernaut to aim for.

Now, one of the big drawbacks are the bandwagon fans that act like they invented the sport. God knows Iowa's run, and especially their resurgence during the early Brands years, brought those guys out of the woodwork. I haven't been to a nationals since Penn State's run started, but it sounds like they have more than their share of these db's as well. That doesn't have much bearing on the sport as a whole, but I really don't enjoy having to be around insufferable ********, so that is an unpleasant side effect. As a sidenote, I have yet to run into ONE of these types of fans from Oky State. They are by far the most dominant, yet still relevant program in the history of the sport and somehow their fans manage to be civil and really fun to talk to.

This isn't anything new. It's not like there's ever been much parity at the top of the wrestling world anyway. Oky State, followed by Oklahoma and Iowa State were the first real power programs. Then Iowa had their run. Oky State came back again, along with a cup of coffee for Minnesota. tOSU is probably the biggest casualty of Penn State. They would have more than one title in a lot of other eras with the talent they've turned through there the last 10 years. We'll see how long it lasts, but it's hard to imagine Penn State falling off the throne as long as Cael is around. Sure there have been a few other champs sprinkled in there, but I guess in the end I have a hard time saying it's bad when it's basically been 6 or 7 teams that have controlled the landscape of the sport for the last century anyway. Good or bad, it's just the way it is. Penn State is just the latest powerhouse to join that group.

Reactions: VirginSturgeon

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
I don’t know. I think there is more money and attention on wrestling right now than ever. It helps that PSU has a very entertaining style of wrestling for the most part. Would need some type of evidence that it is bad.

It is forcing Iowa for example to invest millions in a brand new wrestling facility, TOSU has one on the way as well. ISU just forked a ton of cash to start competing again. ESPN ratings are great, Flowrestling seems to be doing very well.

I agree with your post completely. PSU wrestlers are very entertaining to watch and give great interviews also. They draw attention to the sport in a good way. ESPN also has brought a great influence to the sport the last 5-10 years with their increased coverage of the NCAA championships. Best point is that it made Iowa State as well as Iowa up their game if they want to compete for trophies in the future. Wrestling is the most exciting now than I can remember in the past. Iowa State having an increased presence at the NCAA championships will only grow the sport at our favorite university. In Dresser we trust!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Case in point on Penn State, they're wrestling ASU on ESPN 2 right now with a replay on the U at midnight. When is the last time ESPN carried a regular season wrestling event? Penn State brings attention to the sport.

Last week was Oklahoma vs Ok State

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Well sure. If we're gonna argue with facts. Not sure why my DVR didnt pick that one up.

So, um, ignore my last post then.
To be fair, wasn’t that only on ESPN3/+? It definitely wasn’t on ESPN 1 or 2.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I realize the kid at 149 for ASU is decent, but Berge did not impress me tonight. That cut must be real tough for him. The problem for Verkleeren is that Berge has already beaten him twice, so that’s who Cael is going to roll with.

Side note...if Teske can’t beat Schnupp, that’s a problem (for Teske, that is).

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I realize the kid at 149 for ASU is decent, but Berge did not impress me tonight. That cut must be real tough for him. The problem for Verkleeren is that Berge has already beaten him twice, so that’s who Cael is going to roll with.

Side note...if Teske can’t beat Schnupp, that’s a problem (for Teske, that is).

Can Teske not beat him or is Cael waiting till mid season like he's done with others? The Schnupp (sp) kid doesn't strike me as somebody that's going to score points in March

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Can Teske not beat him or is Cael waiting till mid season like he's done with others? The Schnupp (sp) kid doesn't strike me as somebody that's going to score points in March

I think there is more to the Teasdale story. Wouldn't surprise me to see Teasdale wrestle 2nd semester, then be gone. Also I think Teske has been dealing with an injury. Has he wrestled yet or at least lately?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Teske has not wrestled but is at weight and ready to go when asked to do so

It is interesting at 125. I wouldn't think Cael would have Teske start at the Scuffle. They sure don't look like they need any help winning the title this year and maybe neither are ready to AA.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I was really pulling for Dresser to sign Teske. Now that I have been tracking Reeves since his signing wondering if we didn’t come out ahead on this deal. For those of you still around the Iowa high school wrestling scene what are your thoughts Teske vs Reeves as for as college projections are concerned???

Are both considered 4 year 125 lbers?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I was really pulling for Dresser to sign Teske. Now that I have been tracking Reeves since his signing wondering if we didn’t come out ahead on this deal. For those of you still around the Iowa high school wrestling scene what are your thoughts Teske vs Reeves as for as college projections are concerned???

Are both considered 4 year 125 lbers?

I am always reluctant to call guys career 125 pounders. Seems like over half end up outgrowing 125, but I think Reeves & Teske are projected to be a career 125 pounders

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

Dante tie 9-9 in the 3rd and this happen. We have seen it before. Degen - Do not go Greco with Dante!!!

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
This was against Oregon State. I was wondering why Dante wasn't in the line-up but now he is. We'll probably see him later this season--if not in a dual, at conference.

p.s. At conference only. Northern Colo. is not on the schedule this year.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron