Which fan group feels better about their team right now?

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Right now, it's Iowa all day long. They know they're playing in a conference 'ship game this year. Their defense may even be good enough to where they don't get blown out by 30.

The funniest outcome to consider is Iowa somehow wins the conference and gets into the playoff. Peak football terrorism, the worst offense in the country is a 1-loss conference champion playing for a natty.
Can we stop with the "elite defense" narrative? We saw what happened the ONE time they played an elite offense this year. Washington and anyone else inside the top ten would beat them by 30.

Pragmatic_Clone

Jul 25, 2021
USA
Can we stop with the "elite defense" narrative? We saw what happened the ONE time they played an elite offense this year. Washington and anyone else inside the top ten would beat them by 30.
There's no arguing that ToE had good D and ST. I hate it, but it's true.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I like the fact that Iowa State will be playing in a conference where everyone has a fairly decent chance of competing with all the other teams and has a legitimate shot of winning the conference in football.
. Iowa will have very little chance of superseding Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA in most any given year. With no B1G West...get ready to finish in the middle of the pack at best from here on out!

Reactions: Jdk

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I'll go ..... Not Iowa.

If I was an Iowa fan and was a realist; I know what is about to come. 10-1 in an embarrassing conference division only to be "rewarded" with an absolute blood bath defeat front and center during prime time. The horrifying part of it is.... they don't know who it'll be from yet. They are walking down a dark hallway and know a boogie man is going to jump out at them, they just dont know when or what door.
Kinda like facing John Wick.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I like the fact that Iowa State will be playing in a conference where everyone has a fairly decent chance of competing with all the other teams and has a legitimate shot of winning the conference in football.
. Iowa will have very little chance of superseding Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA in most any given year. With no B1G West...get ready to finish in the middle of the pack at best from here on out!
With Iowa's current style of no offense and pray for some Defensive scores.... they are going to be screwed big time going forward.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
With Iowa's current style of no offense and pray for some Defensive scores.... they are going to be screwed big time going forward.
Which makes me think Kurt’s time as head coach is coming to an end. The future filled with losing seasons and dwindling crowds at games will be fun to see. Meanwhile, winning seasons, annual bowl games, exciting games and the opportunity to play in the playoffs will see a seismic shift in fan support as the old Hok fans die off from emphysema and diabetes and the team to follow will be wearing cardinal and gold.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
**** Iowa without a punter and a D this team would be 2-4. I just watch to see them lose. But they pull so much crap out of their asses to win anyway.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I never said elite, I said good enough. The PSU game was ******* weather, so I'm not surprised they gave up more points than normal, on top of them having many turnovers and screwups. Their defense is plenty good enough to take out the rest of their division. Easy cruise to 10+ wins, and it's not because of their offense.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Which makes me think Kurt’s time as head coach is coming to an end. The future filled with losing seasons and dwindling crowds at games will be fun to see. Meanwhile, winning seasons, annual bowl games, exciting games and the opportunity to play in the playoffs will see a seismic shift in fan support as the old Hok fans die off from emphysema and diabetes and the team to follow will be wearing cardinal and gold.
This is actually entirely plausible. All of it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If KF was smart, this would be his final season. They will have no chance at reaching the B1G Championship game again. Go out on top.

The punter is gone after this year too, right? He's by far their MVP.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There's no arguing that ToE had good D and ST. I hate it, but it's true.

Good D and elite ST but overall still not as good as a 6-1 record in major conference would usually be. Even at 11-1 it'd be hard to move them past 20 based on resume. ISU's rapid improvement may be the best chance for their resume ironically. Wou

WVU and Illinois both played PSU closer and both of those teams have looked bad at times this year. WVU actually looked like they belonged on the field with PSU having watched that game.

Going to be really interesting to see if PSU plays OSU tough, they have often been drilled by OSU/Mich while running over rest of the conference.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If KF was smart, this would be his final season. They will have no chance at reaching the B1G Championship game again. Go out on top.

The punter is gone after this year too, right? He's by far their MVP.

A lot of it depends on how down their 3 protected opponents are. If Wisc struggles with new coach and Neb/Minn stay where they are, some years the schedule won't be that much harder.

Our average SOS the past decade is 11 and Iowa's is 38. Not totally terrible, but that's a 1-2 win per season swing, there's more than a one game difference there. It would be healthy for their fans to see how hard wins are to come by with a top 5 SOS like ISU has had a few times. Guessing that would look like 5 of Mich/OSU/PSU/Wash/Ore/USC in same season. For us it was Texas/OU/Baylor/OKSt/TCU when they were all ranked and loaded with speed, maybe one of those later Snyder teams in there. We've actually played through that level of schedule already.

If ISU comes into a 10-11 win season with a 40ish SOS in this new Big 12 I will laugh so much when Iowa fans try to discount it and basically discredit a decade plus of their own program.

Pragmatic_Clone

Jul 25, 2021
USA
I never said elite, I said good enough. The PSU game was ******* weather, so I'm not surprised they gave up more points than normal, on top of them having many turnovers and screwups. Their defense is plenty good enough to take out the rest of their division. Easy cruise to 10+ wins, and it's not because of their offense.
Relax. We're good.

Pragmatic_Clone

Jul 25, 2021
USA
Good D and elite ST but overall still not as good as a 6-1 record in major conference would usually be. Even at 11-1 it'd be hard to move them past 20 based on resume. ISU's rapid improvement may be the best chance for their resume ironically. Wou

WVU and Illinois both played PSU closer and both of those teams have looked bad at times this year. WVU actually looked like they belonged on the field with PSU having watched that game.

Going to be really interesting to see if PSU plays OSU tough, they have often been drilled by OSU/Mich while running over rest of the conference.
Dude, they are 6-1 and there is no debating it. I lOVE where ISU is going, but ToE are also doing well with their D and ST.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Dude, they are 6-1 and there is no debating it. I lOVE where ISU is going, but ToE are also doing well with their D and ST.

I'm not saying ISU is better. September counts and for whatever reason we rarely have a good September.

But a lot of teams could be 6-1 with that schedule and they are past the top 3 games, they can just coast to 11-1 now. Against the best teams this defense only thing collapses. We won't really know how good PSU is until this weekend, at this point OU is the more proven team and at least ISU gave them a few quarters of a game.

I actually did some research to get that avg 11 SOS vs avg 38 SOS over a decade.

There's a good chance that flips. You're insane if you don't think their fans are going to freak out mentioning SOS the first year ISU gets more wins than Iowa because ISU has an easier SOS (after two decades of tougher SOS).