Which Iowa border state would you be most afraid of in a state vs state civil war?

Which one?

• Total voters

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
You all are a bit confused about Omaha's Offutt Air Force Base. It is a command and control facility now. It has little in the way of destructive capability in and of itself. It does contain the Heart of America Band, a weather command and a dental office which should probably be moved to southern Missouri.

South Dakota would be sneaky tough with Ellsworth AFB and its B-1Bs and attack drones. However, since the Corn Palace is everybody's least favorite roadside attraction, I think we could easily find allies in this fight.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
You all are a bit confused about Omaha's Offutt Air Force Base. It is a command and control facility now. It has little in the way of destructive capability in and of itself. It does contain the Heart of America Band, a weather command and a dental office which should probably be moved to southern Missouri.

South Dakota would be sneaky tough with Ellsworth AFB and its B-1Bs and attack drones. However, since the Corn Palace is everybody's least favorite roadside attraction, I think we could easily find allies in this fight.
I will bludgeon them to death with their own Wall Drug signs

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We've kind of decided that the river would be an issue for Wisconsin but they have a lot of guns and crazies. Would they load up those ducks they have in the dells to do a normandy still attack? Would those things get across the river?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Whatever state has the backing of the federal government? What's the back story here? Is it Iowa defending from an attack or Iowa trying to conquer a neighboring state? Too many unknowns

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'll add another vote for Missouri. Lack of natural barriers on the boarder, big population advantage, bunch of gun owning hillbillies.

Also an added advantage that they have two major population centers on opposite sides of the state. With Illinois or Minnesota you just start bombing Chicago or MSP. But with Missouri you would have to divide your resources.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Minnesota: Minnesota has a lot of the same advantages that Wisconsin does over Iowa, but shares a longer border. Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa are basically the same thing, mostly dotted with small to medium sized towns. I think Minnesota would focus their attention more towards Wisconsin, with the Twin Cities being so close to Wisconsin and their general rivalry in everything. Due to this, Iowa could hold firm or push slightly north into Southern Minnesota. I have a hard time seeing a big conflict between Iowa and Minnesota breaking out.

Wisconsin: Small border to protect that is completely fortified by a good sized river. They would have trouble invading Iowa. They do have a solid population advantage, have acclimated to colder weather, and have lots of forest land to hide in. An Iowa invasion would be difficult due to those factors, plus the fact that their large population centers are spread out and a decent ways from the Iowa border so no surprise attack would be easy to accomplish. I see a border standstill here.

Illinois: The problem with Illinois in this scenario, is they would probably have an internal war before war with other states. Chicagoland vs most of the rest of the state. They could cannibalize themselves weakening their ability to fight other states. They do hold a significant population advantage, but again, that is mostly the Chicagoland area which is a good distance from the Iowa border. If they did break out into an internal war, Iowa could quickly capitalize and align with the rest of the state to combine forces to fight Chicagoland and create a standstill blockading Chicagoland in. If that didn't occur, the situation is different. Again, large disparity in population, however, the shared border is a large river that could cause issues for an invasion by either side. I see a standstill of some sort occurring here.

Missouri: Missouri is a state that shares a large border with Iowa with no natural impediments preventing an easy attack. They also have a significant population advantage. Their population is spread out making an Iowa attack tricky because too many resources focused to one side opens the other up for attack. Or Missouri could blitzkrieg fully across the border in an attempt to overwhelm Iowa. As noted by others, they also have multiple military bases within state borders along with the 'hillbilly' type. Their varied terrain is also an advance for their defenses, where Iowa is more open from a terrain standpoint. These factors would all present a significant challenge to Iowa. I do believe Missouri would initially focus their attacks on quickly overwhelming Kansas due to their shared hatred for each other, but with the advantaged Missouri holds I don't forsee the Kansas defences holding long, allowing Missouri to fairly quickly overwhelming them and then being able to focus elsewhere.

Nebraska: Nebraska is set up well to make a quick attack on Iowa, with the vast majority of their population near the Iowa border. The shared border is also fairly large, so there would be ample areas of opportunity. However, If Iowa could withstand the initial surges, most likely in the Omaha/CB area, then the rest of Nebraska is ripe for the taking. The biggest challenge would be the AF base in Omaha and if Iowa could neutralize it quickly enough before Nebraska mobilized it for offensive purposes.

South Dakota: Small shared border with them that could be relatively easy to protect plus a small population - not worried about them. Iowa could either build a strong fortification to secure the border or if getting more ambitious, make a strong push to take Sioux Falls and the rest of the state would fall fairly quickly.

Based on all these factors, Missouri is state to be most afraid of in a state vs state civil war.

This guy often thinks about the Roman Empire.

• Haha
Reactions: Yellow Snow

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Since Illinois is an option, this thread is too soon

Illinois is tricky. Lots of people, but less border to defend. Missouri would be what scares me. There's a weird mix of hillbilly and financial resources there.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois is tricky. Lots of people, but less border to defend. Missouri would be what scares me. There's a weird mix of hillbilly and financial resources there.
Perhaps our superior intellect combined with strategic use of our Blackhawk helicopters and modified combines and other large tractors would allow us to win the war.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I’m going to say the best run state is the most dangerous, so Minnesota.
Minnesota would be terrible in a civil war. There are too many rules (it's why Wisconsin is generally more fun). Iowa could easily capture the southern part of the state until about an hour north of the Twin Cities. Once you get up there, most of the rules don't apply.

Also, Twin Citians may not care that much about their metro area homes but they will staunchly defend their hunting/fishing/boating/meat raffle territory.

Reactions: SaraV

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron