While I'm happy for South Carolina...

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm not, Frank Martin is as shady as it gets. Google Frank Martin Miami High basketball scandal. Not to mention the Michael Beasley recruitment.

Did either team make a shot outside of 10 feet in that second half?

Reactions: cyclones12321

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Good for them, and I like Frank Martin as a coach. That team is big.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Talk about peaking at the right time. A team that hasn't won a tournament game since 1973, hasn't been to the Elite 8 ever, and then all of a sudden finds itself in the Final Four. Most of their fans probably didn't even know they had a Men's Basketball Team until March of 2017. The only other team that would have shocked me more than this, that actually had a realistic chance of advancing to the Final Four, would have been Northwestern.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What was interesting to me is that they shot only 10 3's (made only 2). In a college basketball landscape where spacing the floor to get open looks is widely the trend, Frank Martin and Co have bucked it and done their own thing playing hard nose defense, shooting high%shots and not letting up till the final buzzer sounds. Tremendous respect for Frank, he did the Big 12 a favor when he took the S Car job.

Wish to see Iowa State go on a run like this. Thought it could have been this year the way we came into the tourney, but we didn't have a Sindarius Thornwell. 25 min of cold shooting was enough to do us in, but South Carolina simply doesn't shoot

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There's always one "good" team that sneaks into the Final Four.

Yeah, it would be nice if it was ISU that went on that run someday. Someday.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We have been to 18 tournaments since 1985 and only one Elite 8. South Carolina goes once in a blue moon, no NCAA wins for 45 years and walla, final 4. Their fans don't care about basketball, we are the ones with a basketball culture and a passionate fan base. When will we get one? Oh well, congrats to USC, they hired the right guy and he went out and recruited length and athleticism. Those type of players allowed them to play good D and keep advancing.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We've had a lot of opportunities recently and couldn't make it past the Sweet 16.

Between losing Niang, or running into some great/hot teams, or just crapping our pants, we've not had the best luck.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I don't mind Frank Martin at all. Most people I know that have met him say he's a hell of a nice guy. BUT......everybody praising him and his "story" right now are leaving out the part where he cheated so bad in Florida HS basketball that he was essentially banned for life.

And I don't enjoy watching his team play. It's no different for me than watching an Izzo or Huggins team compete in the NcAA tournament. Hand check, hand check, hand check. Turn it into a football game knowing damn well that refs don't call as many fouls in the NCAA tournament as they do in the regular season. I don't blame him and kudos for getting there, I just don't enjoy watching it.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I don't know if its really luck from what I've seen. The teams that have advanced have far better balanced rosters and better two-way players. I think we did really well the last couple seasons considering the holes we had in the roster. I do think we are moving toward having more balanced rosters so I'm excited to see how we progress.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't know if its really luck from what I've seen. The teams that have advanced have far better balanced rosters and better two-way players. I think we did really well the last couple seasons considering the holes we had in the roster. I do think we are moving toward having more balanced rosters so I'm excited to see how we progress.

Yes, for sure it's more than luck. We've either been really bad defensively, or very small (or both in some cases).

Having some length and toughness really helps you rebound and defend when you're not hitting 3's.

I'm sick of hearing how you don't need size in today's college basketball, because from what I can see, skilled guards + size is usually what's needed to go deep in the tournament.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And I don't enjoy watching his team play. It's no different for me than watching an Izzo or Huggins team compete in the NcAA tournament. Hand check, hand check, hand check. Turn it into a football game knowing damn well that refs don't call as many fouls in the NCAA tournament as they do in the regular season. I don't blame him and kudos for getting there, I just don't enjoy watching it.
We had coaches who taught that style too - Floyd and Eustachy.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
2014 Georges injury
2012 UK
Barf.

Luck is a huge part of it. KU has had a TON of teams good enough to make a FF and they now have only 2 more than South Carolina in the past 15 years.

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
K-State would probably trade coaches with South Carolina...

KSt is the real loser in all this. This past calendar year, and I'm particular this past couple weeks has to suck for them.

They didn't pull the trigger on Brad Underwood last spring because the AD, who by most accounts was terrible, wanted to give Weber another year. Then earlier this year, the AD announces he's leaving, so now there's no one to fire Bruce Webber, and go for Brad Underwood again. And to top it off, the former coach, who the AD ran out of town, just took a football school to the Final Four.