While I'm happy for South Carolina...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can't stand all this Frank Martin love. I don't care what facet of life you are talking about, it's not appropriate to show the level of rage he shows. He does so in the name of being "tough" and "preparing kids for life." But as an adult, I can't think of a single situation where it's constructive to show that level of anger. Can you imagine if you did that in a business setting? If you managed employees like he manages players? It's absurd to me to think because it's sports it's appropriate to go apoplectic like he does.

I can appreciate tough coaching on some levels and you shouldn't have to treat D-1 athletes like children. But I'm sorry, it's an embarrassment to pay someone the kind of money he's paid to represent a public university and have him lose his **** consistently on the sideline. But no, it's not an anger issue, it's preparing kids for life. Give me a break.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I can't stand all this Frank Martin love. I don't care what facet of life you are talking about, it's not appropriate to show the level of rage he shows. He does so in the name of being "tough" and "preparing kids for life." But as an adult, I can't think of a single situation where it's constructive to show that level of anger. Can you imagine if you did that in a business setting? If you managed employees like he manages players? It's absurd to me to think because it's sports it's appropriate to go apoplectic like he does.

I can appreciate tough coaching on some levels and you shouldn't have to treat D-1 athletes like children. But I'm sorry, it's an embarrassment to pay someone the kind of money he's paid to represent a public university and have him lose his **** consistently on the sideline. But no, it's not an anger issue, it's preparing kids for life. Give me a break.

The vast majority of his players love him, and there have been MANY successful athletic coaches that are similar, so that invalidates a lot of what you said. I've heard him many times on the radio in KC (they still interview him routinely during basketball season), and you can tell he loves his players immensely.

People respond differently to varying management/coaching styles. Different strokes, for different folks.

It's not how I am wired, so I wouldn't coach like that, but I can appreciate his style nonetheless.

Larry Eustachy was very similar and he was a fan favorite.

He's definitely not the coach for snowflakes, so I wouldn't recommend anyone that needs to be coddled to go to South Carolina.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and cstrunk

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The vast majority of his players love him, and there have been MANY successful athletic coaches that are similar, so that invalidates a lot of what you said. I've heard him many times on the radio in KC (they still interview him routinely during basketball season), and you can tell he loves his players immensely.

People respond differently to varying management/coaching styles. Different strokes, for different folks.

It's not how I am wired, so I wouldn't coach like that, but I can appreciate his style nonetheless.

He's definitely not the coach for snowflakes, so I wouldn't recommend anyone that needs to be coddled to go to South Carolina.

I recognize his players love him, he loves his players and that he's been successful, but I don't think that was quite the point I was getting at. I just find it interesting that because it's "sports" he is revered as this tough guy coach whose teaching his players lessons in toughness when in all actuality he comes off as a lunatic. I just have a hard time fathoming a public institution paying a guy millions to put that representation of your university out to the public. Berating, cussing, yelling, swearing.

To each their own. Some see it as tough coaching. I see it as a guy who has a completel lack of control of his temper, and somehow that has been spun into a positive. In all events, give me a Steve Prohm and his temperament any day over that.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I can't believe K-State drove Martin away. He is a hell of a coach.
The reason they drove him away has nothing to do with his coaching

I don't know if the vast majority love him. The story at kstate was that basically half the team was threatening to transfer if he had stayed. That is why Kstate's AD didn't really try to keep him when South Carolina offered. At least a large part of that team hated him.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The reason they drove him away has nothing to do with his coaching

I don't know if the vast majority love him. The story at kstate was that basically half the team was threatening to transfer if he had stayed. That is why Kstate's AD didn't really try to keep him when South Carolina offered. At least a large part of that team hated him.

Maybe Surly can weigh in, but the story that is told around KC from sports talk people that know, is that Martin hated the AD (the one that just left).

Snyder didn't like him either apparently. Most KSU fans were very happy when he left. It sounds like he was very good at managing the financial aspects, but did not get along with coaches.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

I'm torn on this subject and can see both sides. I am curious how you feel about CBF and his style with our women's program then?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
For those bemoaning "why not us," that's the nature of a single elimination tournament. Probability and randomness doesn't care about the passion of your fans or the quality of your program. Get the right bounce at the right time, win and advance. While team quality is most important in getting into the dance and getting a good seed, luck plays a significant role in determining who ends up advancing and eventually being crowned "champion."

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Doc

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm torn on this subject and can see both sides. I am curious how you feel about CBF and his style with our women's program then?

To be honest, I haven't been to a woman's game in years and they are rarely televised, so I guess I can't really speak directly to his antics. From what I've observed I don't think I've seen him match Martin's level of insanity, but maybe I'm just not looking. The bigger thing with Martin is acting like he's doing it out of some sense of good, like we do our kids a disservice by not constantly berating them. That quote on how we treat kids that was making its rounds about made me puke.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
We have been to 18 tournaments since 1985 and only one Elite 8. South Carolina goes once in a blue moon, no NCAA wins for 45 years and walla, final 4. Their fans don't care about basketball, we are the ones with a basketball culture and a passionate fan base. When will we get one? Oh well, congrats to USC, they hired the right guy and he went out and recruited length and athleticism. Those type of players allowed them to play good D and keep advancing.
... "voila", final 4.
Just trying to be helpful

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
frank.jpg
21191-926826fb9b0ea84065bf876103671d1c.jpg

isu83

May 5, 2010
I agree Floyd coached to see what one could get away with on defense. He rode the refs. And he always had guys that could score.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I'm OK with SC being in the Final Four because it is nice that a new school gets a shot. You have to appreciate how hard his players play for him. But like others, I think Martin is shady, and likely someone that has no issues bending a few rules.

• Dislike

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

I understand what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, but the whole sports vs. "real world" correlation seldom works, at least on a macro level. We say it all the time..."If an employee acted the way that (insert NCAA or professional athlete name here) did, they'd be fired on the spot." Well, athletes aren't treated the same as your standard employee, just like coaches/managers aren't treated like standard bosses.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
"What life is truly about"-- like showing your Miami high schools kids that it's OK to cheat. And when you get caught, the kids get to see how the state will strip your team of the state titles you won. That's not showing kids what life is truly about, Frank.

• Winner

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
LeBron agreeing with Frank Martin:

Follow
LeBron James

✔@KingJames

Man if it wasn't for Big Frank, Bruce Kelker, Willie Earl, @CoachDambrot @CoachDruJoyce I wouldn't be the player/man I am today! As a kid...

✔@KingJames
they showed toughness and stayed on me every single day! Never sugar coded nothing, told me to real and lit me up when I wasn't applying....

✔@KingJames
Reason I'm saying this is I believe this is a major part of the reason why kids don't succeed as much because the leaders, coaches, etc.....

✔@KingJames
won't get on them because their afraid of losing the kid, or losing the sponsorship that comes with the kids, or have their own agenda......

✔@KingJames
on how much they can benefit in the long run from the kid not realizing they're cheating the **** out of the kid. We as kids don't know....

✔@KingJames
We need to be pushed, kicked, loved, then pushed and kicked again cause that's what brings and breads the hunger inside of us! Whoever u....

✔@KingJames
are out there please stop worrying about u and if u really care for the kid give them the guidance as my Coaches, mentors did for me!.....

8:51 PM - 26 Mar 2017

• Dislike
Reactions: MartinCy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
K-State would probably trade coaches with South Carolina...
We quickly forget that Frank was given the run at K-State over recruiting matters. Some fans down here would take him anyway because he wins. His methods attracting talent, however, simply didn't work for State.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...e-ncaa-for-k-states-jamar-samuels-sitting-out

"Essentially what you have here is the AAU coach for a K-State basketball pipeline, financially supporting players."

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
LeBron agreeing with Frank Martin:
✔@KingJames
We need to be pushed, kicked, loved, then pushed and kicked again cause that's what brings and breads the hunger inside of us!....

I doubt that there have been too many coaches who have 'kicked' LeBron. He must be talking about his team mates that he thought needed that.

• Funny

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Martin's kind of like Bob Knight in that kids who agree to play for him (should) know exactly what they're getting themselves into. If you don't know that it's a boot-camp type atmosphere, complete with cursing, raging, in-your-face drill sergeant, then you didn't do your homework.

The best coaches know how to read their players, and what it takes to motivate them. Some need pats, some need shoving. Lombardi was a master at this. But I get the feeling that Knight and Martin only know one way, and so they have to get the kids that react to that type of treatment.

Personally, I think he's kind of a d**k.