While I'm happy for South Carolina...

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
We had coaches who taught that style too - Floyd and Eustachy.

Rules have changed. The hand check rule went into effect in 2013. Some refs call it (Higgins currently), while others don't.

Also, lets be honest, you don't care how your team wins as long as they win. If we to Virginia style next year and score 55 points but win, I'm happy. I'm just speaking as someone watching a game in which they don't care who wins. In those games I don't want to see refs allow each team to beat the hell out of each other. IMO its not basketball. Like I said, I don't blame the coach at all. You do what you need to win the game. It's just hard to watch.

SandpointCY

Mar 28, 2016
Yes, for sure it's more than luck. We've either been really bad defensively, or very small (or both in some cases).

Having some length and toughness really helps you rebound and defend when you're not hitting 3's.

I'm sick of hearing how you don't need size in today's college basketball, because from what I can see, skilled guards + size is usually what's needed to go deep in the tournament.

Like Oregon in last night's game. 4 guards are fine is 2 or 3 of them are >6'5". I think Solomon could turn into a Bell from Oregon though.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I don't know if we have to go completely Huggins or Martin...but we need players who are 2 way type players. Can create their own shots and can score but can go down on the other end and defend like crazy. That's why I'm encouraged by CSP. He seems to be committed to having good sound defensive teams. Now if he can get kids with the attitude to really buy into it and still not compromise our offensive mindedness...(like we had the last month of the season)...they may do some damage in the tournaments ahead.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Like Oregon in last night's game. 4 guards are fine is 2 or 3 of them are >6'5". I think Solomon could turn into a Bell from Oregon though.

Bell looks like he has better/quicker feet but yeah he premise is the same.

Hoping Young's shooting touch gets utilized at some point. Next year would be a good start.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Floyd very much coached hands off. He preached move your feet and guard. But make no mistake, he was very adamant about hands off.
Don't agree at all - went to many of his practices. Preached "disrupting the drive" by using hands and arms and see what refs would call.
Also, you must have missed watching Kenny Pratt and Shawn Bankhead playing D. The personification of West Virginia/South Carolina...

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't know. Think of how awful it would be to have such a long streak between NCAA wins. 6 years was bad enough.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I'm happy for the guys playing for South Carolina. I don't know much about their coach and allegations but I'd much rather see S.C. win over North Carolina. I'm tired of hearing about N.C. year after year. It's time for somebody else to win.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We have been to 18 tournaments since 1985 and only one Elite 8. South Carolina goes once in a blue moon, no NCAA wins for 45 years and walla, final 4. Their fans don't care about basketball, we are the ones with a basketball culture and a passionate fan base. When will we get one? Oh well, congrats to USC, they hired the right guy and he went out and recruited length and athleticism. Those type of players allowed them to play good D and keep advancing.

I was thinking the exact same thing watching that game. They can go from one of the worst Power 5 programs a couple years ago to the Final Four and we can't even get anywhere close. Kind of frustrating.

• Funny

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
ISU has certainly had some bad luck running into quite a few eventual National Champions. In the back of my mind, I thought perhaps they were due to make a deeper run this year.

I also wasn't very confident had they beaten Purdue that they would beat KU. I feel that if KU had a week to prepare for ISU, Self and his staff would be pretty lasered in. Just my speculation. Would rather face KU with only a couple days off.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Martin obviously gets his teams to play hard but he's a little too psycho for me.
I don't see a lot wrong with his coaching style, and his players seem to not mind it either. I just remember about halfway through the 2nd half wondering if South Carolina had attempted a 3 since halftime. The 3 ball isn't necessary if you're as good at getting to the rim/getting fouled and sent to the line as effectively as they have been. We've become so conditioned to the 3 ball here at ISU, and we've had great shooters to back up that style, but I can't remember the last time we had guards that could put their head down and consistently (I know Monte could on occasion) take it into the paint and score. The lack of 3 pt shooting was mind boggling to say the least, but i didn't find it unwatchable.

• Disagree

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounds win championships. 3 of the 4 final four teams outrebounded their opponent, the 4th tied.

SC also had 17 more FT shots.

Always amazed at these physical teams like SC and WV that somehow manage to get more foul calls their way.

As much as I would like ISU to be in th final four, I have had way way more fun watching our exciting teams of the Hoiberg and Prohm era, and guess which style recruits wanna play?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron