Who is the greatest Cyclone of all-time?

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Not sure if you guys heard me and Hines discussing this in our driving back from Milwaukee podcast but I got some interesting reaction to it.

Who is the greatest Cyclone ever? Our criteria was "impact made on Iowa State program."

I know you thought it was Fred hands down, but to me it's Johnny Orr hands down. Johnny Orr created ISU basketball. He created Hilton Magic which is the brand of our entire university. If not for him there's not the same yearning of the fan base to maintain an excellent basketball program. Because of that, Jamie didn't take a safer coach than Fred (who wouldn't have come here if not for Johnny in the first place).

Sure Fred brought it all back and extended it, but the fan base was already there and ready because it was created by Johnny. Also Fred's success didn't even reach the levels of Larry.

Fred was great and massively important but not first place.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Fizer is the best player. Grayer is the best 4-year player. Hoiberg made the biggest impact. Morris had the best career.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Niang is easily the greatest Cyclone, and Fred is second. When it comes to the best player I think I would have to go between Monte and Fizer, but I'd have to say Monte. As much as we appreciate him he still is probably undervalued on just how once in a lifetime type player he was.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
1. Fred Hoiberg
2. Gary Thompson (no, I didn't see him play...just paying respect)
3. Georges Niang
4. Jeff Grayer
5. Marcus Fizer

Something like that. It's hard to put Fizer higher due to his length of tenure. And hard to leave someone like Monte off.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Greatest Cyclone? Fred Hoiberg. Runner Up: Georges Niang

Best player? I'll just go in my lifetime. Marcus Fizer

Fizer:
McDonalds All American
1st Team All Big 12 Twice (soph/junior years)
Big 12 POTY
1st Team All American
Taken 4th in the NBA Draft
Led the team to the Elite 8 (32-5 record)

Junior year stats:
22.8 ppg
7.7 rebounds
1.1 blocks
1.1 assists
58% FG
36% 3 PT

If he played one more year he would have likely broken Jeff Grayers scoring record.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83 and CRAZYGREG

cyjones75

Aug 24, 2012
Ames area
Jeff Grayer is the greatest player in Iowa State Basketball history.

The person with the greatest impact on Cyclone basketball, perhaps on the entire athletics program, in my opinion, was Johnny Orr. People who did not follow ISU basketball in the 1970s do not know how miserable we were. On top of that, football under Jim Criner was probably even worse, so the basketball team's improvement in the early and mid 1980s kept us from being totally irrelevant when Iowa's teams were grabbing the state's fancy. Remember, we went like four decades without an NCAA appearance.

Johnny gave us a team to be proud of, to be excited about. Plus he became a recognizable figure around the state. Win or lose, Johnny would say something uniquely funny and perhaps even borderline profane after the game, and we would all feel good about the Clones. I watched visiting teams quit warming up to see what the commotion was when Johnny came running onto the court to the sound of the "Here's Johnny" song. One coach supposedly came to greet Johnny as he was just walking onto the court so Johnny couldn't parade down the sideline and further fire the fans' frenzy.

Without Johnny, we have no Fred Hoiberg, no Marcus Fizer, no Georges, no Monte, and absolutely no Hilton Magic.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The person with the greatest impact on Cyclone basketball, perhaps on the entire athletics program, in my opinion, was Johnny Orr. People who did not follow ISU basketball in the 1970s do not know how miserable we were. On top of that, football under Jim Criner was probably even worse, so the basketball team's improvement in the early and mid 1980s kept us from being totally irrelevant when Iowa's teams were grabbing the state's fancy. Remember, we went like four decades without an NCAA appearance.

Johnny gave us a team to be proud of, to be excited about. Plus he became a recognizable figure around the state. Win or lose, Johnny would say something uniquely funny and perhaps even borderline profane after the game, and we would all feel good about the Clones. I watched visiting teams quit warming up to see what the commotion was when Johnny came running onto the court to the sound of the "Here's Johnny" song. One coach supposedly came to greet Johnny as he was just walking onto the court so Johnny couldn't parade down the sideline and further fire the fans' frenzy.

Without Johnny, we have no Fred Hoiberg, no Marcus Fizer, no Georges, no Monte, and absolutely no Hilton Magic.

This...I support Johnny Orr as the Greatest Cyclone!!!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Johnny Off. Guy could pull a crowd, pack rooms and drink you under the table. People wanted to have him around to just listen, he built Hilton magic. If you ever hung with Johnny and Fred, it's clear who the superstar was.

I'm assuming just basketball here, otherwise I'd mention a few others.

Player, Grayer.....Dude was fantastic.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
1. Adam Haluska
2. Shane Power
3. Wesley Johnson
4. LOL

but seriously...

1. Fred Hoiberg
2. Gary Thompson
3. jeff Grayer
4. Niang
5. Naz

• Funny
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
My "Mount Rushmore" of ISU Basketball is:

Jeff Grayer, Fred Hoiberg, Georges Niang and Monte Morris.

I think you could make a case for any of the 4 as the greatest, or the biggest impact, but Fred's still #1 in my book.
No Fizer?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Good question. And you could make an argument for several different answers.

If you combine playing and coaching, which seems a little unfair, then it's Fred.
So let's look at guys just based on their time as players.

Note: I know I'm missing people. You all can make your arguments for them. I'm just going on who I best remember and my thoughts on them.

Jeff Grayer - Based on stats alone, he could easily be called the best Cyclone ever.
And when you look at the team results while he was here, they were pretty darn good, especially for an ISU program that was at a low point before Johnny got here. A Sweet 16 and two other tourney appearances were great for ISU at that point in time. But when you look at the total wins and compare them to the guys who just recently graduated, and even the guys from Floyd and Eustachy's era, it comes up a bit short. Now that's no fault of Grayer's. It's more a snapshot of where the program was at that time. He likely made the team that much better at a time when they needed him most. I wasn't watching basketball at that time, so I don't know him as well as some will. Maybe they can shed light on just how special he was. I believe he had injury problems in the NBA which limited his career, though he stuck around for a while. Depends how much you want to factor in professional career to Greatest Cyclone.
Still, a very good candidate for Greatest Cyclone ever.

Fred Hoiberg - He had a stellar career as a Cyclone and a very nice NBA career. One of the best shooters to ever grace the floor. Three NCAA appearances as well and a similar number of total team wins to Grayer during his tenure. Big part of building Hilton Magic and his success with Johnny and Tim Floyd led to Tim's best years before Tim left for Chicago. Cyclone Legend of course, but Greatest Cyclone ever based solely on his time as a player? Not sure.

Now we get into the Floyd and Eustachy eras. Some phenomenal players, though not all were here for 4 years to accumulate All Time stats.

Marcus Fizer - One of the most dominant players I've seen play for ISU. He just physically manhandled opponents. If he had stayed healthy he could have been much better as a pro as well. And if he hadn't been on those terrible Bulls teams. His 99-00 season was just phenomenal and he's relatively high on all time ISU lists because of it, having only been at ISU for 3 years. Had the team not struggled his mightily his first two years, he could have been much more dominant in an all time sense. The Elite Eight season, which coulda woulda shoulda been even better was an all time great season to be alive and be a Cyclone. So that alone puts him high on the list.

Jamaal Tinsley - If you're talking about the most talented player ever to wear a Cyclone uniform, Tinsley should definitely be considered in the top 5. He EARNED the Big 12 player of the year in 99-00 by dishing every kind of assist known to man and scoring at a darn good clip as well. Only two years at ISU really limits his all time stats, but impact on his teams was monumental. Huge part of ISU winning the Big12 two years in a row. This was when I was at ISU so it holds an even greater place in my heart and memory.

Sadly the Morgan and McDermott years had a surprisingly large number of very talented players, but they were all wasted on underachieving and disappointing teams. I care about them, but they probably aren't the Greatest Ever

Enter the Hoiberg era. The most successful in ISU history. Lots of good players and thankfully, even better teams.

Melvin Ejim - I'm surprised more people having mentioned him as I know he's a sentimental favorite and a great four years at ISU got him second on the all time rebounding list. While he was a essential part of starting the Hoiberg era, I don't think he's the Greatest Cyclone ever.

Royce MotherEffin White - (Middle name may not be accurate) - Possibly at the top of the Most Talented ISU players list, his one season was so good it earned the troubled player the 16th overall pick. Unfortunately everything went South from there professionally. At ISU he will always be remembered as the best player on the court among all the Kentucky lottery picks in the NCAA tournament. He almost singlehandedly willed us past them. White was the only player in the nation to lead his team in the five major statistical categories: points (13.4), rebounding (9.3), assists (5.0), steals (1.1) and blocks (0.9) that season. One of the best single seasons in ISU history. Can you imagine what ISU could have done with 4 years of Royce White? Or even just one more year in a Cyclone uniform to propel the 2012-13 team through the stratosphere. Not the Greatest Cyclone ever because he was only here one year. Greatest single season Cyclone, quite possibly. His success validated Fred's transfer strategy and lots of other teams have jumped on that bandwagon now. That success translated forward for Fred's coaching career as well.

Georges Niang - His scoring and over all play were something very special. As well as his affect on the program and the wins because of it. His injury in the 2014 NCAA tournament game against UCONN showed exactly how valuable he was. With Georges, a close loss could likely have been a win and an Elite 8 or better finish. Not a lot of players have had more impact on a program than Georges.

Monte Morris - Monte may be one of the few who can rival Georges impact on the Iowa State program. His assists records are amazing and he's also the steals leader. One of the best pure point guards to ever play the game in my opinion. Definitely in Iowa State history. Also the winningest player in ISU history with 100 wins.

Recency bias aside, I think Georges and Monte are the finalists for the Greatest Cyclone Ever title. I give the edge to Georges because of his overall impact on the program, but he couldn't have done it without Monte for three of those years.